Deer clearing cave woe! Any veteran players that can help?

bad_ism

Hi all - have only been playing for a few months and have a couple of questions maybe some veteran players could answer..

Am currently on day 70 of a stalker run - Was chilling in cave by deer clearing and got jacked by a wolf bad so fixed my self up and ran back to cave only to find my bedroll, which was on like 80% earlier had dropped down to ruined after the attack. It wasn’t on me when I was savaged, it was in cave - I’d been patching it up constantly and keeping an eye on the decay since you’re screwed when living in caves without it - wtf! It nearly ended my run but managed to stim my way to the hut further south, whilst using snow shelters to rest in along the way. I prefer to use caves to live in so this has me spooked. I played for over 150 days on voyager (single run) to get a feel for the mechanics and didn’t experience this.

I had just spent days and days in cave over in Ash Canyon due to double moose stomp and bedroll didn’t decay like that there - and it was out on floor the whole time (apart from when patching up normal decay from sleeping).

Do some caves destroy bedrolls to make the game harder? I was living the good life so it feels like the game wanted to do me over - also the wolf attack was so extreme compared to average struggle damage.

Does the game get harder the longer you survive? It seems like the weather is getting worse and wolf attacks are doing more damage. Are some wolves worse than others?

Last one - In some caves the character walks really slow towards the back of cave (like in headwind) what’s that all about? Is this connected to bedroll decay?

Am looking to move up to loper for next run but man the learning curve on this game is steep ha!

Am on PS5 btw - thanks

Bedrolls decay faster if left out on floors. It's best to only put it down when you need to use it. 

Was the wolf attack close to the cave?  

Not really sure why we walk slower  inside,  but it is normal for the game anyway!

• Like 1

Here's an earlier thread where this same situation is discussed --

May be related to the wolf attack.  And, yes, there are situations where the bedrolls deteriorate during blizzards, as if they were left outside. I have also had it happen on TWM. I always put my bedroll away now if I'm not going to carry it with me.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies! All really helpful info 👍

3 minutes ago, twyn1 said:

Here's an earlier thread where this same situation is discussed --

May be related to the wolf attack.  And, yes, there are situations where the bedrolls deteriorate during blizzards, as if they were left outside. I have also had it happen on TWM. I always put my bedroll away now if I'm not going to carry it with me.

When you say put away, you mean just dropped from inventory on ground right? (not put in container or cairn) This makes sense since all bedrolls that spawn in other caves would be ruined if blizzards ruined rolled bags as well. That thread is interesting - Admin seem to think it's a bug.. damn, the wolf attack was pretty much right outside the cave.. he even followed me in to the cave - deff the most aggro wolf I've ever come across.. went and shot the whole pack on the pond opposite the hut to get even ha. So the struggle somehow affected the bedroll even though it wasn't in my inventory.. that admin post was last month so hopefully they fix it as that was so nearly the end of me. Used 2 stims and ammo to get even with the wolves 😡

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, bad_ism said:

Thanks for all the replies! All really helpful info 👍

When you say put away, you mean just dropped from inventory on ground right? (not put in container or cairn) ...

Correct!

On 3/7/2022 at 11:50 AM, bad_ism said:

Does the game get harder the longer you survive? It seems like the weather is getting worse and wolf attacks are doing more damage. Are some wolves worse than others?

Last one - In some caves the character walks really slow towards the back of cave (like in headwind) what’s that all about? Is this connected to bedroll decay?

1.  Yes, there are game settings that will affect gameplay the longer you survive, but at 70 days, the difference should be trivial.

2.  Not really sure about the slow walking.  That is usually caused by a headwind.  Perhaps post a video and let us know which cave(s)?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

1.  Yes, there are game settings that will affect gameplay the longer you survive, but at 70 days, the difference should be trivial.

2.  Not really sure about the slow walking.  That is usually caused by a headwind.  Perhaps post a video and let us know which cave(s)?

2. Every cave has this happen, try it! Walk to the back half of a cave, and your character will slow down in real time. This is because the back half of the cave counts as "indoors" thus allowing you to cure stuff, and be warmer

• Like 1

15 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

Try cave in AC (stone shelf) deff happens there and the one in Ravine (ML end). I think SpanishMoss is right tho it's all caves towards the back. This game is great but my No1 hate is headwinds... Ash Canyon and TWM are so bad for it.. walking at 1mph most of the time even tho not heavy, I think the devs should make it less annoying.. when you're playing for so many hours it does become a bit tiresome imo.

Edited by bad_ism
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, bad_ism said:

. . . . No1 hate is headwinds... .. walking at 1mph most of the time even tho not heavy, I think the devs should make it less annoying.. when you're playing for so many hours it does become a bit tiresome imo.

I have recently been reading a few books about the early opening up of Canada, by John Rae & Franklin, 1819-1850. They frequently make a point of saying how a very cold calm day was not a problem but that wind is the big enemy.

Perhaps the developers have it right.  It is tiresome for us, I agree, but in real life wind can be killer.

1 hour ago, peteloud said:

I have recently been reading a few books about the early opening up of Canada, by John Rae & Franklin, 1819-1850. They frequently make a point of saying how a very cold calm day was not a problem but that wind is the big enemy.

Perhaps the developers have it right.  It is tiresome for us, I agree, but in real life wind can be killer.

agree - headwinds in real life are just as annoying... they got it spot on.. it's just so frustrating when trying to move from one side of a map to other, maybe they could dial it down a tad - not completely get rid. Although when the wind goes it's amazing ha - I'd say out of 20 in game days spent in AC 10 were unbearable due to the winds... it made me leave before looting whole map.

Edited by bad_ism

3 hours ago, bad_ism said:

agree - headwinds in real life are just as annoying... they got it spot on.. it's just so frustrating when trying to move from one side of a map to other, maybe they could dial it down a tad - not completely get rid. Although when the wind goes it's amazing ha - I'd say out of 20 in game days spent in AC 10 were unbearable due to the winds... it made me leave before looting whole map.

If it becomes too much for you, there are always mods as an option.

21 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

If it becomes too much for you, there are always mods as an option.

Nah - am on PS5 (so no UGC mods?, or do you mean custom?), also I like sticking to the "set" difficulties / experiences, as they are tuned pretty good imo. It did seem to be mainly AC.. also I was trying to do a lot in a short time frame so maybe that added to my frustration levels after being double stomped by moose at bottom of rope climb so couldn't sprint as much.. lesson learned, as now always check before decent!

16 minutes ago, SpanishMoss said:

People don't like the wind, which is why there is a feat which makes you 20% faster in wind

probably better keep playing to unlock that feat 🤣 be one of the first ones I use on future runs! 

42 minutes ago, SpanishMoss said:

I believe the requirement for unlocking it is 20 days spent in the wind of blizzards

still a way to go unfortunately.. 25% as well so even better

IMG_1380.thumb.JPG.d097c10f9c1465e4d41dbcbe1cb490ca.JPG

Edited by bad_ism