Number of large fish caught?

hozz1235

Number of consecutive large fish?  

6 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The amount of fish you have a chance of catching changes with the "Fish Spawn Rate" setting, just like the individual spawn settings control wolves, bears, deer, rabbits, and moose.  There is a setting higher than it is on Pilgrim (that is, Pilgrim puts that setting on High; whereas, there is a "Very High" setting.  On the Very High setting, I have caught 5 fish in 1 hour.  On Low (where it is on Interloper), I have fished for 8 hours and not caught anything.  Of course, if you move the setting to "None" you have no chance of ever catching any fish in that run.  This is where I put it for my Deadworld runs... which basically means one has to survive on teas and cat tails.

Edited by UpUpAway95

4 minutes ago, Serenity said:

It very much does. Fish get scarcer with increasing difficulty.

Oh right thanks.  I was thinking of the 'things reduce over time ' rather than the base settings but I don't suppose that's really an excuse for my daft comment!😁

17 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Oh right thanks.  I was thinking of the 'things reduce over time ' rather than the base settings but I don't suppose that's really an excuse for my daft comment!😁

Not daft.  I honestly don't know the mathematical effect of "Reduce Wildlife Population Over Time" on fish.  It's entirely possible that it has no effect on them.  RNG also has a major effect... on Loper settings, I mentioned that I've fished 8 hours and not caught anything, but I have also caught 2 or 3 fish in 1 hour.  RNG is RNG... sometimes you role snake eyes and sometimes you roll straight 7's... on any difficulty level. 

ETA:  Another reason why I'm thinking there may be a "animal cap" conflict within the game is based on what happens when I push all the "spawn chance" settings to Very High.  I don't get a world teeming with bears and moose; instead my runs can be almost completely devoid of those two animals... so, a cap that has a preference for allowing wolves regardless of setting??? (possible).

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Not daft.  I honestly don't know the mathematical effect of "Reduce Wildlife Population Over Time" on fish.  It's entirely possible that it has no effect on them.  RNG also has a major effect... on Loper settings, I mentioned that I've fished 8 hours and not caught anything, but I have also caught 2 or 3 fish in 1 hour.  RNG is RNG... sometimes you role snake eyes and sometimes you roll straight 7's... on any difficulty level.

Oh I am daft! 😁  What is RNG?  Kept meaning to ask before! 🙂 

But I suppose it is   the one thing you can't physically check in the game.  Disregarding the current bugs etc ,you're bound to notice there are less wolves etc.

My last run I spent about 20 hrs fishing and caught only one fish,that's the worst I've ever had.

Just now, Leeanda said:

Oh I am daft! 😁  What is RNG?  Kept meaning to ask before! 🙂 

But I suppose it is   the one thing you can't physically check in the game.  Disregarding the current bugs etc ,you're bound to notice there are less wolves etc.

My last run I spent about 20 hrs fishing and caught only one fish,that's the worst I've ever had.

RNG stands for "random number generation"; which is the equivalent of "dice rolls" in many video games.

10 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

I mentioned that I've fished 8 hours and not caught anything...

I once got myself into such dire straits that I pinned my last hopes on a fishing expedition for food.  I used up my last bits of wood sitting over a fishing hole.  No fish for ten hours straight.  I thought level 3 fishing would guarantee me something to keep me from starving any further, but no luck.  I died out on the ice starving and freezing to death.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, I_eat_only_wolf_meat said:

I once got myself into such dire straits that I pinned my last hopes on a fishing expedition for food.  I used up my last bits of wood sitting over a fishing hole.  No fish for ten hours straight.  I thought level 3 fishing would guarantee me something to keep me from starving any further, but no luck.  I died out on the ice starving and freezing to death.

Lol - It's the same reason some people will spend their very last dollar on a Lotto ticket.  RIP The Gambler Will/Astrid.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Lol - It's the same reason some people will spend their very last dollar on a Lotto ticket.  RIP The Gambler Will/Astrid.

For sure, I was stuck in the same kind of stubborn mental rut.  "Gambler's fallacy" and plain stupid, obstinacy in trying to make it work.  Even though I knew that if it didn't work, I would die.

I'm not sure if "catching a large fish (Salmon) vs. a small fish (Trout)" is affected by any game setting.  It seems pretty "clear" that the custom settings we do have seem to only affect how often you catch fish in a give time period.  I could be wrong here.

Large fish seem to be somewhat rare for me (I'd have to estimate 30%?) so catching 6 in a row was very unusual for me.

The biggest fish that a player can catch can be found only in Episode 3 of story mode.  
The local legends side quest that tells the story of "The Big One."

20201113184449_1.thumb.jpg.5c503d6e1d776857530862f73172a17b.jpg

As the story goes this particular fish has been landlocked in the pond for a very very long time
and although some have had the fortune to see this big fish, none have ever caught it.

There's a bit of strategy involved and not every player who pursues this monster is successful 
in catching it, but when you do...

20210909001020_1.thumb.jpg.7f788044d9f8c877cfea46629cd7cf5a.jpg

This BIG BASS tipped the scales at over 18 kilos when I caught him. 
t took many trips to the pond in story mode before I finally was able to land him!

20210909001243_1.thumb.jpg.fb775fdee54ef9756d805875771e1f7f.jpg

It sure cooked up nice! 
the resulting fish oil that I havested was phenomenal as well.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, piddy3825 said:

The biggest fish that a player can catch can be found only in Episode 3 of story mode.  
The local legends side quest that tells the story of "The Big One."

20201113184449_1.thumb.jpg.5c503d6e1d776857530862f73172a17b.jpg

As the story goes this particular fish has been landlocked in the pond for a very very long time
and although some have had the fortune to see this big fish, none have ever caught it.

There's a bit of strategy involved and not every player who pursues this monster is successful 
in catching it, but when you do...

20210909001020_1.thumb.jpg.7f788044d9f8c877cfea46629cd7cf5a.jpg

This BIG BASS tipped the scales at over 18 kilos when I caught him. 
t took many trips to the pond in story mode before I finally was able to land him!

20210909001243_1.thumb.jpg.fb775fdee54ef9756d805875771e1f7f.jpg

It sure cooked up nice! 
the resulting fish oil that I havested was phenomenal as well.

Thanks for that. I vaguely remember it but I don't think I caught it! Would've remembered  a whopper like that!

Hope it tasted as good as it looks?🙂

I routinely play on Pilgrim, and catching 7+ fish is a normal occurrence.

I generally fish for at least 4 or 5 hours, often more, depending on how close the Hut is to my current Base & the typical regional weather.

Many times it's a slow slog to get back "home" because I am carrying so much extra weight (& I try to remember to drop everything extraneous before setting out on a major fishing expedition).

I did catch "The Big One" in Episode 3 -- but I let him go ... 🐟

• Upvote 1

On 3/4/2022 at 1:22 PM, Leeanda said:

Does anyone know what the biggest fish  ever caught is? Or can be caught?

Not sure if you were referring to Survival, Story Mode or Both?  Found this thread on Survival.  I'm sure there are more.

4 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

Not sure if you were referring to Survival, Story Mode or Both?  Found this thread on Survival.  I'm sure there are more.

Yes I did mean survival . Thanks  for the info. I'll have a look around to see if there's more.