Most obscure locations in TLD

3 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

My recent run of Broken Railroad tests have had the pistol spawn in the back seat of that car a couple of times.  It has also spawned in the plant pot in the office once and on a shelf in the basement of the hunting lodge a couple of times.  The one possible spawn location in that zone for it that I haven't seen happen since the update is under the one bed in the Hunting Lodge.  I don't think there is a bug.  Rather RNG is RNG... and people have been mentioning that they want more randomness in this game.  As new possible spawn locations are being added (i.e. everything in Blackrock), the distribution of items across all those possible spawn points can get more erratic.

But in every car in all areas?   Thought it was everyone seeing that!  But it's not an issue really, more just curious. Thought he'd used the place anywhere mod! Obviously not then! 

8 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

But in every car in all areas?   Thought it was everyone seeing that!  But it's not an issue really, more just curious. Thought he'd used the place anywhere mod! Obviously not then! 

The odds of probably extremely low of such an event occurring, but it still would not likely be 0.  With probability math, the extremely unlikely is still possible.  Other factors are what percently of the total cars in the game is the player actually checking.  From watching Youtube and Twitch, what I see is a tendency for those players to be less than thorough in clearing entire regions of the map.  They check the same "popular" sites, but seldom go way out of their way to check the more obscure sites in each region.  I know the only time I bother to check everything is when I'm running these "loot distribution" tests and I generally limit those tests to Broken Railroad because to do them in more regions becomes completely overwhelming very quickly.  Imagine how long it would take me to run in even one such test in a large region like Blackrock.

1 hour ago, UpUpAway95 said:

The odds of probably extremely low of such an event occurring, but it still would not likely be 0.  With probability math, the extremely unlikely is still possible.  Other factors are what percently of the total cars in the game is the player actually checking.  From watching Youtube and Twitch, what I see is a tendency for those players to be less than thorough in clearing entire regions of the map.  They check the same "popular" sites, but seldom go way out of their way to check the more obscure sites in each region.  I know the only time I bother to check everything is when I'm running these "loot distribution" tests and I generally limit those tests to Broken Railroad because to do them in more regions becomes completely overwhelming very quickly.  Imagine how long it would take me to run in even one such test in a large region like Blackrock.

The only place on my standard pilgrim run that hasn't been completely searched is BlackRock, Except HRV which obviously doesn't count in this instance.but a large part of that was places unlikely to have cars!   So I wouldn't rate my chances of a possible missed car having anything in it!  The odds would be overwhelming .  

2 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

The only place on my standard pilgrim run that hasn't been completely searched is BlackRock, Except HRV which obviously doesn't count in this instance.but a large part of that was places unlikely to have cars!   So I wouldn't rate my chances of a possible missed car having anything in it!  The odds would be overwhelming .  

Still, as the picture shows and my Broken Railroad tests show, things are still appearing in the back seats of vehicles.  What is your "loose item availability" setting?  I believe that items in the back seat and on the dashboard are controlled by that setting to some degree.  As I said, my tests are run with loot availability on all fronts pushed to the max... so perhaps the issue appears only with a lower "loose item availability" setting.

1 minute ago, Leeanda said:

It's just the preset pilgrim so I'm not sure which loot setting it is!  I'm still getting things in the front of the cars and the glove box, though just not in the back.

OK, I'll try a few tests to see what I come up with. 

ETA:  Checking in the custom menu, the Pilgrim template has "Loose Item Availability" set to "Very High" - which is the max.  So that theory is probably out the window, but I'll still run some tests.

Edited by UpUpAway95

37 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Well I'd be interested to see what you get!

Standard PIlgrim run, Mountain Town start yielded 5 items (4 toques and 1 knife) in the back seats of vehicles.  AFAIK, the only car I failed to check was the one under the Spruce Falls Bridge.  I will not rerun the test selecting the pIlgrim template from the custom menu (without altering it).

5 minutes ago, piddy3825 said:

@Leeandanope no mods.  Newly launched stalker game.  Find that gun here every so often but not always.  
came in handy as when I got out ole wolfy was waiting me for me outside...

Assuming that is the back seat of the car outside the Hunting Lodge... Yes, it is a frequent, but not guaranteed spawn on all difficulties that allow the pistol to spawn.  I've never found the rifle there.  It generally spawns inside the hunting lodge, either on the gun rack or next to the cabinet in the room with the rocking chair... or next to a corpse down in the ravine (although that corpse is sometimes missing right now if the player spawns indoors in the region).  It is generally still down there if the player spawns outdoors, even though they have to go inside to get the rope to go down into the ravine.  This is different than the Paradise Meadows corpse, which will be gone if the player spawns indoors or even if they go indoors before checking for it.

1 minute ago, piddy3825 said:

@UpUpAway95, location confirmed!
didn't find any rifles in the lodge, but did find another revolver in the lodge's basement.
Now I'm packing dual heaters!

That's rarer - that two revolvers spawn in Broken Railroad at the same time... but I've seen some oddities after this last update.  For example, I had 2 heavy hammers spawn in Broken Railroad when I spawned there during one of my "empty container density"  tests in January... and I don't think that had ever happened to me before.

1 minute ago, UpUpAway95 said:

I've seen some oddities after this last update.  

This is actually my first newly launched game in a very long time.  I had been playing my long term stalker game but after hundreds of days it started to feel a little stale.
So far I'm feeling the pinch in finding adequate clothing.  Nothing says "freezing" like running around in pair of worn out tennis shoes...

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Leeanda said:

Well I'd be interested to see what you get!

Second run - PIlgrim template from Custom menu (unaltered) - 1 toque found on the back seat of a car.  However, 5 pieces of cloth and a prybar were found on the floor of the back seat; whereas there were no items found on the floor of the back seat in any cars in the first run.

Notable regarding corpses - 1st run spawned outside and the Paradise Meadows corpse (and key) and several others were present in the region; whereas, 2nd run, spawned indoors and absolutely 0 corpses were found.  The Paradise Meadows corpse was not found, although pieces of wood behind the house indicate it should have been there.  No key was found.  This is consistent with previous corpse tests in Mountain Town in Pilgrim mode.

9 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Second run - PIlgrim template from Custom menu (unaltered) - 1 toque found on the back seat of a car.  However, 5 pieces of cloth and a prybar were found on the floor of the back seat; whereas there were no items found on the floor of the back seat in any cars in the first run.

Notable regarding corpses - 1st run spawned outside and the Paradise Meadows corpse (and key) and several others were present in the region; whereas, 2nd run, spawned indoors and absolutely 0 corpses were found.  The Paradise Meadows corpse was not found, although pieces of wood behind the house indicate it should have been there.  No key was found.  This is consistent with previous corpse tests in Mountain Town in Pilgrim mode.

Does sound rather random ,as it should , is the spawning point a possible factor maybe.?  

And Even though that explains  my situation ,there is still a bug  in the cars.. unfortunately.

Still if this game was that predictable  then it'd get boring quite quickly I fear! 

Thanks for testing it and the information! 

1 minute ago, Leeanda said:

Does sound rather random ,as it should , is the spawning point a possible factor maybe.?  

And Even though that explains  my situation ,there is still a bug  in the cars.. unfortunately.

Still if this game was that predictable  then it'd get boring quite quickly I fear! 

Thanks for testing it and the information! 

I can try a few more runs, which might reveal some consistency regarding whether or not I spawn indoors or outdoors and whether the new file comes from the standard Pilgrim or Custom menues.  Perhaps report it as a bug anyways since HL probably has some means to test whether the RNG is within or not within reasonable limits considering the various ways in which they do "stack the odds" in this game.

43 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

It's not really a problem just a bit odd. But I'm sure they'll read this anyway !  So I'll leave it to them if they want to do anything! But thanks for the time and effort ! Much appreciated! 

Run #3 - Makes both this back seat issue and the corpse issue more interesting:

Standard pilgrim run, spawned indoors - 0 items found on the back seat, 2 newspapers and a prybar found on the floor of the back seat.  However, despite an indoor spawn - 3 random corpses spawned along the route to Spruce Falls bridge, one near the fallen logs below the trailer, 1 in the cave on the right near the moose pond, and 1 by the car under the Spruce Falls bridge.  This is the first time I've had any random corpses spawn in MT Region when I've spawned indoors there since the update.  No corpse and Paradise Meadows farm, but the key was on the floor of the tractor this time around.

RNG - the BANE of doing any real scientific testing.  Many more runs required really to determine true correlations.

Edited by UpUpAway95

You're still finding things in the back of the cars though,even if they're on the floor. I'm not getting it!  But I can see that there's definitely an issue somewhere!  Even if it's just the corpses!  Also seems it might be the starting point too!  Interesting! Hope this helps htl in some way! Considering you're running around in the name of science! 

2 hours ago, Leeanda said:

You're still finding things in the back of the cars though,even if they're on the floor. I'm not getting it!  But I can see that there's definitely an issue somewhere!  Even if it's just the corpses!  Also seems it might be the starting point too!  Interesting! Hope this helps htl in some way! Considering you're running around in the name of science! 

The one that I have never found which I think would be very cool indeed is a corpse in a car!   Why not?  
If you were trapped in a frozen Hell during a blizzard and freezing to death, why would get out of the car?  

🎶I don't know, I don't know,
 I don't know where I'm a gonna go
when the blizzard is raging and down comes the snow!🎶

lol, ole Jimmy Buffet song just popped into my head

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, piddy3825 said:

The one that I have never found which I think would be very cool indeed is a corpse in a car!   Why not?  
If you were trapped in a frozen Hell during a blizzard and freezing to death, why would get out of the car?  

🎶I don't know, I don't know,
 I don't know where I'm a gonna go
when the blizzard is raging and down comes the snow!🎶

lol, ole Jimmy Buffet song just popped into my head

Ive often wondered about that too! Same as why are they right outside the front door  or just outside the cave ?  Would be nice to have one in a car or two!

Edited by Leeanda
  • Upvote 1