I finally got mauled !

Leeanda

4 hours ago, twyn1 said:

Yep -- I'm enjoying the thread too, very clever & funny.

Not sure what Timber-wolves will do if you try to provoke them on a Pilgrim/Custom setting. But they are somewhat glitchy, at least in Blackrock right now.

I did finish the Archivist challenge, hanging on at the end by crouching against a rockface for several hours, snug up next to a corpse (!), while riding out a blizzard in Forlorn Muskeg. Collected my last computer message with only 3 cat-tails left for food. The Aurora never looked so beautiful! Took a quick peek at the "Whiteout" Challenge, but I think I need to go back and sit in my cozy, saved, Pilgrim house at Coastal Highway and fish for a few days.

Enjoy!

Congrats !  Sounds like it was indeed  a challenge!  Nice to put your feet up for a while and chill out! Have fun! 

Have to say I didn't think this thread would be of much interest but I'm glad people are enjoying it!  So thanks everyone!🙂

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Congrats !  Sounds like it was indeed  a challenge!  Nice to put your feet up for a while and chill out! Have fun! 

Have to say I didn't think this thread would be of much interest but I'm glad people are enjoying it!  So thanks everyone!🙂

No, thank you and Matt for just being natutal comedians, lol! 

Also how's your wolf-culling going? 

• Like 2

Wasted morning !  Three blizzards and no wolves anywhere ,so I decided to head to upper bleak to get the code. Got stuck in another blizzard at the ravine,so camped for the night!

Was hoping to try my luck with the t-wolves  up there but there was only one and no prey at all!  Even the usual deer carcass wasn't there. Funny cos the crows were!   Now I'm biding my time at echo one  until yet another blizzard passes over! Maybe later I'll see some blue skies but I'm not gonna get my hopes up!  

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Wasted morning !  Three blizzards and no wolves anywhere ,so I decided to head to upper bleak to get the code. Got stuck in another blizzard at the ravine,so camped for the night!

Was hoping to try my luck with the t-wolves  up there but there was only one and no prey at all!  Even the usual deer carcass wasn't there. Funny cos the crows were!   Now I'm biding my time at echo one  until yet another blizzard passes over! Maybe later I'll see some blue skies but I'm not gonna get my hopes up!  

Oh no, are you sure you aren't in PV, lol. 

A side note, the lack of wolves is probably due to the blizzards. When there is a blizzard, wolves just vanish which makes going to places like the quonset a breeze if you know where you're going. If you're wolf hunting however, that could be an issue lol. Not sure if timberwolves behave in the same way but as all predators poof during a blizzard, I would assume they'd be the same. 

Good luck with all of those t-wolves when they do finally show themselves. You've built up a reputation with all the wolves so they're likely avoiding you, lol! 

23 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

What wolves!    Lol😁 

Thank you. Not sure I've been called funny in a good way before though🙂

You're welcome :) And I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks that. Lots of people are enjoying reading your funny conversations

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Oh no, are you sure you aren't in PV, lol. 

A side note, the lack of wolves is probably due to the blizzards. When there is a blizzard, wolves just vanish which makes going to places like the quonset a breeze if you know where you're going. If you're wolf hunting however, that could be an issue lol. Not sure if timberwolves behave in the same way but as all predators poof during a blizzard, I would assume they'd be the same. 

Good luck with all of those t-wolves when they do finally show themselves. You've built up a reputation with all the wolves so they're likely avoiding you, lol! 

You're welcome :) And I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks that. Lots of people are enjoying reading your funny conversations

I didn't really expect many at the barn area  anyway if I'm honest! But the few brief moments between blizzards turned up nothing anyway! 

Even though I have seen some things out during blizzards this week,it was mostly bunnies! They're a tough little bunch!😁  

Thank you!  Not sure it was meant to be quite like that originally, but I'll take it! Lol😁

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

I didn't really expect many at the barn area  anyway if I'm honest! But the few brief moments between blizzards turned up nothing anyway! 

Even though I have seen some things out during blizzards this week,it was mostly bunnies! They're a tough little bunch!😁  

Thank you!  Not sure it was meant to be quite like that originally, but I'll take it! Lol😁

Haha yeah the only things I've seen during blizzards are bunnies. One guy claims to have been attacked by a bear in a blizzard but I'm yet to see them out in one. I think deer are also hanging around but I don't see many of those even in clear weather, lol. 

And haha I doubt you expected your thread to have something like 7 pages, lol :)

Edit- actually it's nine pages, wow lol

Edited by Catlover

Just now, Leeanda said:

I thought I'd be the only one writing and reading it!  🤣 

Honestly glad that people are interested in reading it.  And I'm very grateful to all! .

Especially those who are still awake by the end!😁

Haha you need more faith in yourself and this thread, I doubt anyone would fall asleep reading it. 

You and Matt make a great British comedy duo, haha. I have to admit even I didn't think your conversations would go on for so long but I'm certainly not complaining. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Haha you need more faith in yourself and this thread, I doubt anyone would fall asleep reading it. 

You and Matt make a great British comedy duo, haha. I have to admit even I didn't think your conversations would go on for so long but I'm certainly not complaining. 

Lol🙂 thank you!  

Im sure Matt would be happy to hear that too! It's well deserved, he's  hilarious!

Edited by Leeanda
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Haha yeah the only things I've seen during blizzards are bunnies. One guy claims to have been attacked by a bear in a blizzard but I'm yet to see them out in one. I think deer are also hanging around but I don't see many of those even in clear weather, lol. 

And haha I doubt you expected your thread to have something like 7 pages, lol :)

Edit- actually it's nine pages, wow lol

It seems to depend a bit on proximity as the blizzard strikes.  If you can keep the animal in your direct sight, it will stay spawned as the blizzard hits.  I recently began hunting a moose by the hunting lodge in Broken Railroad as a blizzard started.  It stayed spawned, allowing me to take a shot at it.  It was clearly hit, but ran off and I was unable to follow it... assuming it despawned once it left my direct line of sight.  (Broken Railraod is nice for running tests like this since there are lots of animals in a small area and they have a limited area in which they can patrol or run). 

The bear will also stay spawned as a blizzard hits as long as the player can keep eyes on it.  If the player gets close enough to initiate an attack, then it's entirely possible to be attacked by a bear in a blizzard.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

It seems to depend a bit on proximity as the blizzard strikes.  If you can keep the animal in your direct sight, it will stay spawned as the blizzard hits.  I recently began hunting a moose by the hunting lodge in Broken Railroad as a blizzard started.  It stayed spawned, allowing me to take a shot at it.  It was clearly hit, but ran off and I was unable to follow it... assuming it despawned once it left my direct line of sight.  (Broken Railraod is nice for running tests like this since there are lots of animals in a small area and they have a limited area in which they can patrol or run). 

The bear will also stay spawned as a blizzard hits as long as the player can keep eyes on it.  If the player gets close enough to initiate an attack, then it's entirely possible to be attacked by a bear in a blizzard.

Ah yes, that would make sense. I was not saying they hadn't been mauled (though looking back it does sound like it), it was just going kind of against my tests. Them staying when they're only in your line of sight does make sense, though must have been annoying to lose that moose, lol

• Like 1

@Leeanda Yeah this thread is great, love reading about your mauling experiments and experiences 😄 Thanks for all the kind words, too. Humbled as always. I sometimes forget others read this craziness 😂

It's actually also very interesting being educated on things I never realised about certain animal behaviour in various weather conditions. For example UpUpAway95's last post. Fascinating 😻

Edited by Matt Lomax
  • Like 2

Ah yes, that would make sense. I was not saying they hadn't been mauled (though looking back it does sound like it), it was just going kind of against my tests. Them staying when they're only in your line of sight does make sense, though must have been annoying to lose that moose, lol

I eventually got him (or his newly spawned twin).  I just left the area after the blizzard died down and went into an adjacent region for a few days and then came back.  He spawned again... but, yeah, my arrow was gone for good.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Matt Lomax said:

@Leeanda Yeah this thread is great, love reading about your mauling experiments and experiences 😄 Thanks for all the kind words, too. Humbled as always. I sometimes forget others read this craziness 😂

It's actually also very interesting being educated on things I never realised about certain animal behaviour in various weather conditions. For example UpUpAway95's last post. Fascinating 😻

It is fascinating. I've played this game for well over 500 hours yet there are many things I still don't know. Things I generally find out by dying from, lol! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

I eventually got him (or his newly spawned twin).  I just left the area after the blizzard died down and went into an adjacent region for a few days and then came back.  He spawned again... but, yeah, my arrow was gone for good.

Ah I'm glad you were able to get a moose, even if you lost an arrow in the process. I'll be sure to never go hunt a large animal when it looks like there is going to be a blizzard 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Matt Lomax said:

It's actually also very interesting being educated on things I never realused about certain animal behaviour in various weather conditions. For example UpUpAway95's last post. Fascinating 😻

Thank you! And you're welcome!

Who would've thought .we'd be the next Morcombe and Wise lol😁

I've learnt that wolves don't use mouthwash! 😁  But really though it  is turning out to be an education!

• Upvote 2

Just now, Leeanda said:

I've learnt that wolves don't use mouthwash! 😁  But really though it  is turning out to be an education!

Haha someone really ought to go around and brush their teeth, their breath stinks! 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Catlover said:

It is fascinating. I've played this game for well over 500 hours yet there are many things I still don't know. Things I generally find out by dying from, lol! 

Yeah there's tons of depth to the game. Incredible really. When I set up my custom conditions I had an idea of how I wanted it to pan out and ... I've not been disappointed. It's getting more and more interesting the further in I get. Still learning. And that comfort I had is diminishing with each resource that runs out.

I've just hit approx 845 hours and sorry-not-sorry to be neglecting most of my game collection in the process 😄

14 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

😂 Good thing you boil their heads in the pot then, hopefully removes the bad breath affliction 😬

And oh yes, the next Cannon and Ball 💪😄

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Ah I'm glad you were able to get a moose, even if you lost an arrow in the process. I'll be sure to never go hunt a large animal when it looks like there is going to be a blizzard 

That's the safe way to play it.  On the other side of fate though... I might have gotten a critical hit with that one shot and the moose would have gone down instead of running off.  With a bear, a good solid hit will cause it to bleed out... but the tricky part there is what I call the "reset bug."  If the player goes inside as the blizzard hits and he's still bleeding, he can reset and not bleed out.  Sleeping outside or passing a full hour of time before going in can sometimes trigger a "sudden bleed out" such that he goes down before the blizzard hits (in which case he won't despawn, but will be lying dead somewhere after the blizzard clears).  Same applies for wounded deer or wolves.  Without the sleep or passing of time, it can sometimes take hours and hours for them to bleed out. 

I once followed a wounded wolf in Mystery Lake for 20 mins (IRL time).  He kept limping and bleeding but apparently wasn't about to drop any time soon... so, I decided to pass an hour's of time... and I heard him die before that hour ran out.

Part of my fascination in this game is that the RNG is wonky enough to make it a really interesting challenge to try to figure it out... and after probably more than 2,000 hours in this game now, I'm still learning lots every day.

... and at my age... a touch of memory loss means that I can also learn somehting, forget, and have fun learning it all again. 😀

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Upvote 2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Matt Lomax said:

Yeah there's tons of depth to the game. Incredible really. When I set up my custom conditions I had an idea of how I wanted it to pan out and ... I've not been disappointed. It's getting more and more interesting the further in I get. Still learning. And that comfort I had is diminishing with each resource that runs out.

I've just hit approx 845 hours and sorry-not-sorry to be neglecting most of my game collection in the process 😄

😂 Good thing you boil their heads in the pot then, hopefully removes the bad breath affliction 😬

And oh yes, the next Cannon and Ball 💪😄

I have to agree,my games have acquired a bit of dust on them! 

I don't remember admitting to boiling anything !? 🙂  All I mentioned was a leg in the microwave 🙂   but now you've given me some ideas! Lol.

Rock on Tommy!😁

• Upvote 2

Just now, Leeanda said:

I have to agree,my games have acquired a bit of dust on them! 

I don't remember admitting to boiling anything !? 🙂  All I mentioned was a leg in the microwave 🙂   but now you've given me some ideas! Lol.

Rock on Tommy!😁

Haha Matt has loads of good ideas it seems. Bit suspicious really lol, wonder how he found out about boiling wolves gets rid of their breath. I'll have to try it out and see if it works. Boiled wolves and cattails anyone? 

• Upvote 2

Haha Matt has loads of good ideas it seems. Bit suspicious really lol, wonder how he found out about boiling wolves gets rid of their breath. I'll have to try it out and see if it works. Boiled wolves and cattails anyone? 

Boiling wolves, shaving crows,  skeleton tailors!  Just a few of his favourite things 😁 that we know about anyway!

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Catlover said:

I think I'd rather have a tin of nicely warmed peaches, thank you.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Leeanda said:

Boiling wolves, shaving crows,  skeleton tailors!  Just a few of his favourite things 😁 that we know about anyway!

Haha not sure what else he could go. Matt is a master of many random talents. 

1 minute ago, UpUpAway95 said:

I think I'd rather have a tin of nicely warmed peaches, thank you.

Don't blame you lol, I doubt I could make it sound appealing