Location, mechanics, and item ideas for Episode 5 and Perseverance Mills

ToAsT

I'm curious what other people's hopes are for episode 5, specifically locations or items in Perseverance Mills or the adjoining areas (that haven't already been mentioned). I had a bunch of ideas for buildings that might be nice to see in the upcoming episode, with the hope that at least a few make it in:

• Tannery: A workshop with a special set of tools that you can use to convert animal hides into cured leather. This would be helpful for late-game players to be able to maintain their man-made gear through hunting. Also a blueprint / method of crafting timberwolf hides into something unique (see below).
  • Lumber mill: Based on the region name, it sounds like something the location should have.
  • Cable car lift: Only active during an aurora, it transports you to an elevated area that would otherwise be inaccessible.
  • Tavern/Inn: Milton and other locations seemed void of any place for visitors to stay without being part of the maintenance of the island facilities (radio tower, dam, etc) or already being a member of a club/organisation/group (Hunting Lodge in BR or Community Hall in PV). 
  • Seaplane Hangar / Airstrip: Simply based on the fact that Mackenzie was flying in, they should probably have something like this.
  • Lab: Scientific or other equipment that wasn't affected by the aurora. Let your imagination run wild.
  • Sheriff / ranger / mountie office: If the region is fairly large and more populated than Milton then a small lockup area or police detachment might be prudent. An old barracks when Great Bear was used for military training converted into a jail, perhaps?
  • Forest Talkers hideout: With all the notes and other evidence of this group on Great Bear in previous episodes, it seems likely we'll encounter something significant with respect to them in Ep 5.
  • Hot Springs: Perhaps Great Bear has some geothermal activity as well? Could be a location to gather salt brine (to be made into Salt Preserves - see below).

New items

I tried to include items that provide benefits which don't already exist in some other form within the game, and some possible balancing mechanics. I'd be happy to see more items that emphasize avoiding predators than engaging them, which I feel is more in-line with TLD's original atmosphere:

• Timberwolf hide cloak: An outer layer that provides good wind resistance and also reduces your predator detection radius. Reduces your sprint meter or increases your sprain risk.
  • Timberwolf cowl: An outer head covering that effectively acts like a hood. Increases the chance of scaring wolves and/or reduces the morale of an attacking timberwolf pack. Not as warm as other headgear.
  • Salt Preserves: Item that doesn't degrade and has multiple uses. Can be applied to meat to greatly reduce its condition loss. Reduces scent from meat its applied to. Meat must be combined with fresh water to become edible again.
  • Birch bark container: Can be crafted from several pieces of birch bark. Similar to salt preserves in terms of preserving food from spoilage. Used by the natives. Limited uses.
  • Chaga: Natural fungus found on trees. Brewed into a coffee-like blend to reduce fatigue loss.
  • Snowberry soap: Small berries found on bushes even in winter. Prepared into a soap-like substance by boiling with water. When applied, reduces the radius that your scent can be detected by predators for several hours.
  • Beetle Larvae: Extracted from fallen logs, stumps, or dead trees. Identified by the many holes drilled into the wood by woodpeckers. When extracted (via knife / hatchet / saw) and combined with a fishing hook, each significantly decreases the time required to catch your first fish and increases the weight of said fish. Some caloric value but likely to carry parasites.
  • Siphon: Craftable. Rubber hose + jerry can. Used to siphon fuel from vehicles.
  • Snow goggles: Increases visibility in blizzard-like conditions for the wearer.
  • Deck of cards: Slows the buildup of cabin fever when carried or passing time (there is, after all, a card flapping noise when passing time).

New mechanics:

• Siphoning fuel from vehicles (accelerant, lamp fuel, torches, or some other purpose). Otherwise, why give the option to open the gas tank cover?
  • Adding tinder to a fire as fuel (helpful for those beyond Fire Starting 3)
  • Something else with spray paint? Maybe apply it to your shoes to retain your footprints in the snow for a period of time? Might be helpful to retrace your steps / find your way in a blizzard.
  • Introduce items in vehicle sunvisors (not just the ones in storymode, either). Keys, notes, polaroids, small snacks, matches, etc.
  • Randomized objectives: Not in the sense that anything goes, but it'd be nice if locations of job/quest objectives were at least slightly randomized to increase replayability.

Of course, this is just a collection of ideas, several of which may have already been discussed in the forums. Maybe some of them are too ambitious for a final episode and would be more suited for a separate DLC (free or otherwise). Either way, I'm looking forward to what awaits us in Episode 5 and beyond.

What are your ideas for new items, mechanics or locations to be included in Episode 5?

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Love the hot springs idea. They are spattered all around the province, so it makes some sense.

Always wanted a ski resort in the game. It's the one thing that's ubiquitous in BC rural areas but isn't in the game. I'm hoping PM is/has a tourist/ski area in it.

Mountain lions. If there's going to be some good new loot here, then we should also add balance: cougars are common here in BC. Let's do it.

• Upvote 1

There's clearly some sort of military significance to Great Bear, so I'm kind of hoping we find some sort of secret Canadian Area 51 bunker sort of thing. I definitely get the sense that there's some sort of extraterrestrial influence going on here. Some take on the classic "gods were actually advanced aliens watching and sometimes guiding us throughout history" trope. I always get a kick out of that kind of thing. Like the aliens decided to hit Great Bear with this calamity as a way to see if humanity had evolved beyond being mindless apes, and your decisions playing as Will (since he's the only one that really has had any choices, even if they were minor) influence the ending. Either they are convinced that humanity will never evolve beyond being simple savages and decide to unleash the aurora on the rest of the world, or they see a glimmer of hope and allow things to return to normal.

• Upvote 1

On 1/6/2022 at 9:13 PM, ajb1978 said:

There's clearly some sort of military significance to Great Bear, so I'm kind of hoping we find some sort of secret Canadian Area 51 bunker sort of thing.

I imagine very few, if any, of you have heard of Yorke Island. It's located towards the north end of Vancouver Island, in the straight. It has an old abandoned military outpost.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yorke_Island_(Canada)

Yorke-Island-4-Kevin-Krogstad.jpg

Yorke-Island-1-Kevin-Krogstad.jpg

Yorke-Island-2-Kevin-Krogstad.jpg

• Upvote 1