What factors effect arrow wear?

Blizzard Walker

In the last 20 game days I have hunted only twice, in each instances hunting bear.  Both bears were downed with two arrows.  Before hunting my two lowest condition arrows were at at 73% and 70% condition.  After killing the first bear the two arrows used were down to 46% and 43% condition.  After the second bear was killed the same arrows were down to 19% and 16% condition. Condition dropped by 27% each time.  Assuming I hunt the bear again when it respawns both arrows will break.  

The bow I was using was at 95% to 100% condition.

Is four shots per arrow before breaking typical in your experience?  I am wondering if arrow wear somehow relates to what you are hunting (deer vs wolf vs bear vs moose)

On 10/21/2021 at 11:56 PM, FluffyComeHome said:

Thank you for the update - and for the transparency. I've always been impressed by how much you communicate. Most companies do not bother with that.

Bugs are to be expected as there is no way you can test every single permutation of computer configurations and browser settings. But most people do not know that, so I love that you educate your audience this way. Until you are troubleshooting a problem you cant duplicate, you can not fully understand how hard it is to fix a ghost! What is more important than the bugs, is how you handle them - and you do a great job of prioritizing and implementing fixes. T

I love Episode 4 and am looking really forward to the Survival mode update! Sure, skipping the 4DON is a bit disappointing, but only because it's so much fun. Its a good call though, as the Episode and Survival modes are more important. Maybe someday we will find the old versions of 4DON on the time capsule. :)

Thanks again for all your hard work and the great game!

I dont have accurate,  number but according to my Looper file, you get 4 shots with an arrow. The last shot will break the arrow, but kill a wolf.

Edited by Master_Arne
Typo

As for the animals, I am not sure, but I do know that missed shots can vary how much the arrow is damaged. Hitting rock or ice will take off more condition than hitting snow. 

4 shots per arrow sounds about right. That's what I usually get out of mine. I've heard somewhere that higher condition arrows have a better chance of critical hits than an arrow that is about to break too. 

23 hours ago, Pencil said:

I've heard somewhere that higher condition arrows have a better chance of critical hits than an arrow that is about to break too. 

Seems to make sense, but how would we ever confirm that?  You'd need to know the logic and RNG in the code.

I can attest that arrow condition can be affected by shooting them into snow, trees, rocks, llamas, the occasional building.....When I actually hit an animal I think I'm getting an average of 4 shots per arrow.  The biggest drop I've seen is a loss of 25% condition.  Who knew rocks were that hard?

7 hours ago, Jolan said:

I can attest that arrow condition can be affected by shooting them into snow, trees, rocks, llamas, the occasional building.....When I actually hit an animal I think I'm getting an average of 4 shots per arrow.  The biggest drop I've seen is a loss of 25% condition.  Who knew rocks were that hard?

Llama's?  Where did you find one of them?😁

• Upvote 1

On 11/20/2021 at 12:15 PM, Blizzard Walker said:

Thanks for the response.  A new strategy for myself if to set aside low condition arrows likely to break the next time they are shot.  Instead I will put them back in inventory to use for prey more likely to run off with my arrows - wolves mostly and sometimes bear.

There are plenty of resources to make arrows so, IMHO,  I wouldn't worry about that level of micro-management.