Problems with TLD.

peteloud

8 hours ago, manolitode said:

Would be kind of cool if they could measure our degree of intoxication from how we handle the controller/mouse and award us with a suitable drunkness affliction.  Until  there's a case where the presumed constant intoxication is in fact a gamer suffering from Parkinson's disease...

Trust me if you had Parkinson's you wouldn't be able to hold a controller never mind use it!

55 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Just when you get used to something htl throw a spanner in the works but I suppose you're used to that?

Eh to a degree, when they introduce something totally new like Timberwolves, well you can't really prepare for something you've never encountered. I burnt through a fair few survivors figuring out how to best handle those monsters. (Campfires are great and all, but what if it's too windy...) But if they were to just nudge things a bit, like suddenly Timberwolves are now in Timberwolf Mountain, that would be easier to react to. I know how to handle Timberwolves, and I know the TWM region...I just need to put the pieces together.

Come to think of it that would be kind of cool. Using those caves through the mountain as a means to evade Timberwolf packs pack, etc. Hunkering down inside the fishing hut as like six Timberwolves are just losing their minds outside circling the place...do you make a break for the cabin or take your chances spending the night in the fishing hut... Anyway!

New regions are the best though. I have been over every square inch of Great Bear to the point that nothing really catches me off guard, except when new regions are added. I'm not talking being surprised by a wolf around a blind corner, I'm talking "OK I'm actually in serious trouble and I don't know where I am..." Ash Canyon? I had no idea where anything was. I got lost in the canyons, in the maze of rope bridges, and actually had to rip up some clothes and dig a snow shelter for the first time in probably a real life year because I got THAT lost. I miss that, and unfortunately it wasn't long before Ash Canyon too became a notch on my rifle.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, ajb1978 said:

Come to think of it that would be kind of cool. Using those caves through the mountain as a means to evade Timberwolf packs pack, etc. Hunkering down inside the fishing hut as like six Timberwolves are just losing their minds outside circling the place...do you make a break for the cabin or take your chances spending the night in the fishing hut...

This would be pretty awesome, actually. When I first took 'em on, I did it with bows and arrows. It took a while to figure out the right ways to hunt them, but once you figure it out they're not really a huge problem. Getting into the cannery, for example; once you're close (like across the road, which is generally easily accomplished without detection) strip down to climbing weight, take off enough clothing to up your sprint nice and high, and just run in and beeline for the rope. You'll win pretty much every time. You might take a few nips along the way, but that's not gonna kill ya. Don't try to shoot 'em, that'll just slow you down and make you an easier target for them. Just book it for the rope and dodge as you need to. I like them because their more complex behaviour makes figuring out each place where conflict will happen a bigger deal, and just generally makes them more dangerous. I think it'd be fantastic to put them on the other maps. 

On 9/1/2021 at 7:34 PM, manolitode said:

I don't think you can sue Hinterland but you can keep drinking if you like.

The only problem with combining The Long Dark and alcohol is that my survivor will tirelessly tumble off the broken rail bridge by the Ravine to meet his maker. Kinda takes the fun out of whiskey. 

Damn right- my 'time for bed now VHK' test when playing with a tipple on the go is whether I feel confident taking myself over the bridge.  

Incidentally, I think playing the morning after is the true connoisseurs' challenge! 

On the subject of English wines, I've never had a red but I have had a couple of outstanding whites from Cornwall and Norfolk respectively.  Mind you I think the last time we had any joy with viticulture it was soon followed by the collapse of the Roman Empire, maybe not such a good portent...

• 2 months later...