From an actual commercial mushroom farmer

Hoomba

I love how on point this game is in regards to reishi usage.  I personally have been treating a loved ones parkinson's with reishi for 8+ years.  The health benefits are beyond belief.

There is something I would like to bring up regarding common misconceptions with "reishi" mushroom, and as a mycologist with 22 years experience, a USDA funded research center, and an indoor vertical gourmet and medicinal mushroom farm with the highest per acre valuation of any crop in the whole of the USA, one could say I am an authority on all matters mycological in nature, Paul Stamets is my hero.  ( I'm also lead for one of the teams that entered the deep space food challenge competition which NASA along with the Canadian Space Agency are in charge of)

The red reishi mushroom asset in game are commonly referred to as Lingzhi (wikipedia is a prime example), or Ganoderma Lingzhi which is completely incorrect.   If one were to google "reishi",most results lead people to believe Ganoderma Lingzhi is a red reishi mushroom. 

The correct scientific name for a red reishi Mushroom is Ganoderma Lucindum.  In China, G. Lucindum is called lingzhi, and has been for over a millennia.  Alternately in Japan, the name for the red polypore mushroom commonly mistaken as Lingzhi, which is part of the Ganodermatacea family is reishi, or mannentake.

So when you are preparing a red reishi mushroom that was found inna woods somewhere in canada know that you are not consuming G.Lingzhi, rather G.Lucindum.  

The reasons for this intentional misnaming by some parts of the scientific community is geopolitical in nature, so I will not go any further than saying some people on this lovely planet from which we were all born in are hell bent on rewriting established scientific facts.  The reasons for such actions are also geopolitical in nature, so I'm going to leave it at that.   

I'm on the spectrum so the little details are what gets me, so apologies if this seems inconsequential, or making mountains out of molehills.  

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Hoomba said:

I love how on point this game is in regards to reishi usage.  I personally have been treating a loved ones parkinson's with reishi for 8+ years.  The health benefits are beyond belief.

There is something I would like to bring up regarding common misconceptions with "reishi" mushroom, and as a mycologist with 22 years experience, a USDA funded research center, and an indoor vertical gourmet and medicinal mushroom farm with the highest per acre valuation of any crop in the whole of the USA, one could say I am an authority on all matters mycological in nature, Paul Stamets is my hero.  ( I'm also lead for one of the teams that entered the deep space food challenge competition which NASA along with the Canadian Space Agency are in charge of)

The red reishi mushroom asset in game are commonly referred to as Lingzhi (wikipedia is a prime example), or Ganoderma Lingzhi which is completely incorrect.   If one were to google "reishi",most results lead people to believe Ganoderma Lingzhi is a red reishi mushroom. 

The correct scientific name for a red reishi Mushroom is Ganoderma Lucindum.  In China, G. Lucindum is called lingzhi, and has been for over a millennia.  Alternately in Japan, the name for the red polypore mushroom commonly mistaken as Lingzhi, which is part of the Ganodermatacea family is reishi, or mannentake.

So when you are preparing a red reishi mushroom that was found inna woods somewhere in canada know that you are not consuming G.Lingzhi, rather G.Lucindum.  

The reasons for this intentional misnaming by some parts of the scientific community is geopolitical in nature, so I will not go any further than saying some people on this lovely planet from which we were all born in are hell bent on rewriting established scientific facts.  The reasons for such actions are also geopolitical in nature, so I'm going to leave it at that.   

I'm on the spectrum so the little details are what gets me, so apologies if this seems inconsequential, or making mountains out of molehills.  

May I ask what the benefits are using reishi for Parkinson's as my mum has it?

• Upvote 2

Oh that's very interesting. It seems like fungi in general have so much potential. I think we're going to need more efficient sources of protein in the future that those obtained from animal sources. Im not an expert but it seems like mushrooms and fungi would be a very efficient source of nutrition.

3 minutes ago, Grignard_TN said:

Oh that's very interesting. It seems like fungi in general have so much potential. I think we're going to need more efficient sources of protein in the future that those obtained from animal sources. Im not an expert but it seems like mushrooms and fungi would be a very efficient source of nutrition.

We already have them. Things like lentils and beans are good sources of protein. If we are specifically talking about protein, mushrooms are vastly inferior. I could get into land/water use and emissions but since I don't know what your metrics are I can generalise it and go by cost.

In alberta, canada I can get about 100g of protein from a steak which costs 13.50

For the same price, I could get 615g of protein from lentils. I am pretty sure meat is subsidised here too for some reason so the reality is even more in favour of lentils.

On 8/14/2021 at 11:09 PM, Hoomba said:

... with reishi for 8+ years.  The health benefits are beyond belief.

Now this is interesting.  Does the reishi work even if bought as a pill? I just heard on some reviews that the "reishi must be shellbroken, otherwise it is useless", could you please comment on that?

Also, how exactly the reishi must be "prepared" in order to drink? Just cutting to small pieces? What would happen if I ate the mushroom unprepared?