Taming animals for hunting companion

Silcrete

A lot of back-room work would be needed to be able to introduce taming any of the animals in the game.   It would certainly not be a trivial development process.  

If the devs decide they want to add it, they will put in the effort.  The problem is, with all the things they have to do, whether they consider it worth the effort, at least while story mode is in play. 

• Upvote 2

I'd rather see NPCs that I can stealth past or kill in their sleep and steal their stuff than some bambi to take care of.

This is survival, not a national geographic expedition. Looking back now, this game has changed me for the worst, for I have become a blood thirsty bandit.

• Upvote 2

Possible yes, but if you look at the AI currently in the game and then imagine that being your pet.....well, I wouldn't want to use it. Getting that to a point where it's anything beyond frustrating would be a pretty big investment probably.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

This is an AWESOME suggestion!  IMO it would only be realistic or practical with the wolves in particular.  I imagine the mechanic would require constant upkeep with food, with the wolf constantly trending toward "wild" or "aggressive".  There were several good points in here relating to the expenditure of personal food or the load it would require for the developers.  That being said; for the player community it would likely be well received and could possibly be incorporated after the story mode is through.  Either as an achievement or challenge or permanent feature.  The developers also included a few things that may help with that when they sent out the TLD poll.  I know I'm more than willing to pay for additional features to expand this game's experience.  One can dream...?

• Upvote 1

On 7/4/2021 at 3:47 PM, Stinky socks said:

I'd rather see NPCs that I can stealth past or kill in their sleep and steal their stuff than some bambi to take care of.

This is survival, not a national geographic expedition. Looking back now, this game has changed me for the worst, for I have become a blood thirsty bandit.

I'd rather not.  The thing that sold me on this game is there are no Zombies or NPC combat. 

I agree that this is survival, to be sure. And the challenge should be reflected as such.  But this has a "last person on earth" feel that I love.  At most, find a mate to perpetuate the species (without the graphic!) but otherwise...

I thank the Developers for NOT having made another rainbow six or call of duty or otherwise.  I hope they continue to leave that particular thing out. :) 

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Semple Fi said:

But this has a "last person on earth" feel that I love

But that's not what happened. Wintermute is going over this detail quite well, especially once you get to episode 4 and 5, that's when the world will come to life as perseverance mills should be full of people! Sure, first episode is a little thin on population, but once you get to part two, Will finds radio contact when they fix the radio. Same goes for episode three, where you get about a dozen survivors in community hall. Also, don't forget about molly and her pets. She's thinning their population.

3 hours ago, Semple Fi said:

find a mate to perpetuate the species

I have a feeling last two episodes will have that covered.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Stinky socks said:

But that's not what happened. Wintermute is going over this detail quite well, especially once you get to episode 4 and 5, that's when the world will come to life as perseverance mills should be full of people! Sure, first episode is a little thin on population, but once you get to part two, Will finds radio contact when they fix the radio. Same goes for episode three, where you get about a dozen survivors in community hall. Also, don't forget about molly and her pets. She's thinning their population.

I have a feeling last two episodes will have that covered.

Solid point.  
However, it’s my dream 😂

and speaking of episode four and Perseverance Mills…. Does it feel like Astrid is bringing a vaccine to a cluster of Covid 19 victims?? ;) Hinterland predicted it!!

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/4/2021 at 10:47 PM, Stinky socks said:

Having NPC as stoker (or even some kind of machine) , that could maintain fire, would be great help.

On 7/4/2021 at 9:47 PM, Stinky socks said:

Sounds like you belong over on DayZ. The game is not about killing civilians but uniting and surviving 

On 8/12/2021 at 6:26 PM, TheJodieeXO said:

Sounds like you belong over on DayZ. The game is not about killing civilians but uniting and surviving 

Back to the idea of wolf taming and game mechanics...... using a mechanic like what is used for the airplane crash survivors in Crossroads Elegy would be an idea.  

Remember, the problems posited in this game were caused by humans living out of harmony with the earth, this is hinted at by Methuselah.  The aurora causes animals to behave more aggressively towards man; Mother Nature is “fighting back”.  
As Jodiee said, uniting and surviving, but uniting back with nature is where i see it.   

• 1 month later...
On 8/12/2021 at 9:14 PM, Stinky socks said:

My heart is with peace and harmony and procreation, but my instincts tell me otherwise. The knife is my comrade. It thirsts for bandit blood!

Uniting and surviving may be a good fairy tale, but reality is the contrary. Man is a beast when hardness happens.

Settle down there, Nil... 

This is an interesting idea (taming), but a little unrealistic. Most animals need incentive to be 'tamed' -- generally this involves food. The animals in TLD hardly seem to be starving (there's deer and rabbits to kill, everywhere). You could introduce the idea of cubs/young, but that would be mechanically challenging, particularly in survival mode (if, for instance, you culled too many young, you would see a drop in production and eventually would run out of meat to hunt). Not to mention that auroras seem to directly result in the animals going loco, and that wouldn't bode well for a 'tamed' pet (or you)...

On 7/3/2021 at 2:37 PM, Silcrete said:

Would it be possible to add in the  option of training a wolf or maybe even a bear from a pup or cub for hunting etc

That would be perfect. Extending "personality" of animals... so, e.g., giving them food might make them, over time, more friendly. Unless you do something bad, or unless you smell too much, they might let you go and not attack you 🙂