a huge FPS problem

this is my gpu and cpu. i can't get more than 30 FPS at outside, mostly 22-20, with the LOWEST graphics possible. my desktop resolution is 1920x1080 but i use 1152x648 in game(its the lowest resolution that i can get full screen). i watched lots of videos that can help me to get higher FPS, but this is the max i can get. i even get like 17 FPS when it's windy sometimes. is it normal? do i need a younger dinosaur GPU?

1.png

2.png

Guest jeffpeng

I'm sorta surprised it even works. Please be assured that there is nothing you can do to improve your FPS besides getting a new GPU.

I guess if you want a "decent" used market 1080p GPU that you can somewhat afford despite everyone going bonkers on mining .... I guess a 1050 Ti is good enough and doesn't even cost that much more than what it did when it was released over 4 years ago .... 😭

In general old GPUs with 4 GB are sorta affordable since you cannot mine Ethereum on them anymore (at least not profitably). This holds also true for fine space heaters like the R9 290(X) or the venerable R9 Fury. I've even seen some 480s and 570s with 4GB go below 200 bucks on ebay. However, I wouldn't buy GPUs with less than 4GB, tho, since those really have big issues running anything approaching modern above 720p.

So, I guess if you really want to score a GPU today the rule of thumb is: Above 4GB -> too expensive. Below 4GB -> useless. But hey, maybe crypto finally crashes 😉 So waiting a while longer and see what's going down might be a good idea. It's summer after all :D

Translating what was said above, you gpu sucks, and is surprising that it even runs. You cpu is probably doing most of the work rendering frames at that point. If you have a desktop, you can replace your gpu for something like a Nivida GeForce GTX 1050 to 1080, they will be sufficient.

On 5/25/2021 at 8:54 AM, jeffpeng said:

I'm sorta surprised it even works. Please be assured that there is nothing you can do to improve your FPS besides getting a new GPU.

I guess if you want a "decent" used market 1080p GPU that you can somewhat afford despite everyone going bonkers on mining .... I guess a 1050 Ti is good enough and doesn't even cost that much more than what it did when it was released over 4 years ago .... 😭

In general old GPUs with 4 GB are sorta affordable since you cannot mine Ethereum on them anymore (at least not profitably). This holds also true for fine space heaters like the R9 290(X) or the venerable R9 Fury. I've even seen some 480s and 570s with 4GB go below 200 bucks on ebay. However, I wouldn't buy GPUs with less than 4GB, tho, since those really have big issues running anything approaching modern above 720p.

So, I guess if you really want to score a GPU today the rule of thumb is: Above 4GB -> too expensive. Below 4GB -> useless. But hey, maybe crypto finally crashes 😉 So waiting a while longer and see what's going down might be a good idea. It's summer after all :D

You don't even want to know. I bought a (ready?) rx6900xt not too long ago because ... I needed a video card and it was available so I ponied up the truly ridiculous amount of money; coughed up ~2300CDN for it. Mind you, I could sell it now for nearly a thousand dollars more, but that would leave me without a computer so that's not gonna happen. It's just insane what's happening in the market right now.

That said, it's an amazing video card, but the market for silicon (I also do purchasing for my company which is why I was able to actually buy a video card; lots of people are finding that can't get one at any price point) is simply bonkers right now; we're holding off on upgrading our hardware because the prices are simply absurd.

His CPU is sufficient to run the game. It uses like two cores. 

For GPU, definitely need something younger dinosaur:) I had gtx460 1gb and it ran about 30fps. Recently 'upgraded' to gtx960 2gb and game runs 60fps+. Well, it could, but I have frame sync enabled, so it's locked to 60.

If he wants to run indie or other lite/old(er) games, there are a bunch of cards that will outperform what he has, but still be affordable because no one needs them anymore.

Guest jeffpeng
5 hours ago, stratvox said:

we're holding off on upgrading our hardware because the prices are simply absurd

Well I migrated to one of the new Macs as my daily driver, in large part due to the abysmal hardware situation. Funny enough, back when I bought it, I was actually doing it because it was impossible to score a decent CPU for less than twice it's worth and, just for working (for meaning web browser, vscode and a bunch of terminals), the M1 is actually faster than pretty much anything in it's class from X86 world. Now with the entire crypto situation I'm even more happy I don't have to worry about coughing up 200 Euro for an RX 550 just to display a freaking picture (which is ridonkulouz).

Although, and I'll say it here once and only once (since nobody reads this forum for crypto reasons xD): You "can" mine Ethereum on M1 Macs and much more than the 2 MH/s some dude figured out. I'm not gonna say how, but at some point someone else will figure it out, too, and then it's open season on the new Macs as well ^^

I've been casting about to try and find a reasonable ARM based PC that's not a mac and hopefully reasonably priced, mostly just to mess around. However they're not exactly growing on trees... which is remarkably shortsighted of the ARM folx.

Guest jeffpeng
8 hours ago, stratvox said:

I've been casting about to try and find a reasonable ARM based PC that's not a mac and hopefully reasonably priced, mostly just to mess around. However they're not exactly growing on trees... which is remarkably shortsighted of the ARM folx.

Well the M1 is getting Mainline Linux support sooner rather than later. Other than that I guess you'll be stuck with recycled tablet platforms you can buy on overgrown Raspberry Pis. But with those you have very, very wonky Linux support (like custom kernels and binaries in so called "Board Support Packages"), and a good portion of the hardware is locked away behind ARMs TrustZone, like the video decoder/encoder IP. Plus: ARMs own GPU implementations use drivers that make NVidia's driver seem like the most open piece of software ever. So .... 🙄 I did a digital signage project in 2018 which we planned to base around a custom ARM SBC (from Mediatek), but we ended up using a board with a N3350 - which is bonkers expensive considering everything it can('t) do. But it was simply Impossible to get proper display support with the ARM box.

I bit the bullet and am scoring on of the new Pis to assess it; the very top of the line one looks like it could be up to the job of being a decent dev platform for our stuff. I'm guessing your points about the IP and openness are why some of the things I'm seeing that are linux compatible are using such old implementations of the hardware. Be that as it may, I still get to check out whether we're interested in going this route or not in this company; if we can replace 30 2-3k$ machines with 30 400$ machines and one 25K$ machine it may well be worth it, even if some of the performance metrics aren't as good.

The Radeon HD 5570 was released on February 9, 2010

For a GPU, that thing is really old. It sucks that with the way things are right now that simply buying a new GPU isn't something you're likely to be able to do without spending 3X more than what you should. I too am waiting on hardware prices to drop and it looks like I will be hoping that intel will save us from the GPU pricing we have going on.

• 1 month later...