Preferred method to light fire?

Stinky socks

Preferred method to light fire  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Magnifying lens if circumstances allow and matches if not.  Since my main sandboxes tend to be long running, and I made Fire Starting Level 5 a long time ago, that's what I do.  If I am in a new sandbox, like when I started one in Winter's Embrace, I would do the same thing except when using a match I would light a torch for the usual reasons. 

I have used a fire striker a few times but have never done it more than a few times and never used one up.  

Since my sandboxes tend to be always in Pilgrim, obviously I have more flexibility in why and how I start a fire. 

I was thinking of adding a torch to the list, but since it initially has to be lit by a match or firestarter, I figured it's the middleman.

I kinda like matches because I have so many of them and I dont light fires every day. When I'm outside nd its sunny, then it's mag lens, but the always go to method has been a match.

There are a handful of fire starters in my bases, but I dont like to use them up since they don't go bad.

So...a match for me. Time to vote I guess.

21 hours ago, Stinky socks said:

I was thinking of adding a torch to the list, but since it initially has to be lit by a match or firestarter, I figured it's the middleman.

I kinda like matches because I have so many of them and I dont light fires every day. When I'm outside nd its sunny, then it's mag lens, but the always go to method has been a match.

There are a handful of fire starters in my bases, but I dont like to use them up since they don't go bad.

So...a match for me. Time to vote I guess.

Not necessarily.  I often use a torch pulled from a fire lit from a mag lens indoors or farther into a cave where there is insufficient light to use the mag lens directly.  Also, if it's not windy, I'll torch walk the fire some distance so that I can light a new one when I reach my destination.

Edited by UpUpAway95

• 2 weeks later...

this absolutely depends on level of difficulty and how far you are in the game and your fire level. 
  If you play anything other than interloper it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever how you start a fire because of the practically limitless resources. Most players wonder what a Mag Lens is even for. 
  But in interloper given the initial scarcity of matches, there is no way around it. You have to light fires using torches and try to preserve those torches by “torch walking” until you get a Mag lens.  Once you get a Mag lens you only ever light fires with it when it’s sunny out. At fire level 4 and up you can use a match directly (no torch) if absolutely necessary depending on your fire starting material because of the 100% chance for success on a stick or book or cedar. Later in the game when you have several hundred matches it’s not as much a concern but early on in interloper you can’t just play like a stalker level player.

The poll is nonsensical because it is linear and doesn’t consider these critical variables , sorry. 

Edited by Lord of the Long Dark

On 5/29/2021 at 1:41 AM, Lord of the Long Dark said:

this absolutely depends on level of difficulty and how far you are in the game and your fire level. 
  If you play anything other than interloper it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever how you start a fire because of the practically limitless resources. Most players wonder what a Mag Lens is even for. 
  But in interloper given the initial scarcity of matches, there is no way around it. You have to light fires using torches and try to preserve those torches by “torch walking” until you get a Mag lens.  Once you get a Mag lens you only ever light fires with it when it’s sunny out. At fire level 4 and up you can use a match directly (no torch) if absolutely necessary depending on your fire starting material because of the 100% chance for success on a stick or book or cedar. Later in the game when you have several hundred matches it’s not as much a concern but early on in interloper you can’t just play like a stalker level player.

The poll is nonsensical because it is linear and doesn’t consider these critical variables , sorry. 

If, however, a player is wanting to extend their survival for as many days as possible, then conserving matches is never a bad thing at any difficulty level.

If, however, you freeze to death because you're too stubborn to try to light a match (even at less than 100% chance) when you are, say, out of torches, that's a very dumb thing (even on Loper where matches are more scarce). 

Also, FYI, you have a 100% chance of lighting a fire with a match at Level 3 (not 4) if you use a book as your starting material, but cedar only has an 80% chance at Level 3.  You have a 100% chance of starting a fire if you use accelerant or lantern fuel regardless of your fire starting skill... and adapting  your method to consider what you have or don't have in your inventory is never a bad thing at any difficulty.