Counter, when i pick up something

AndyAsh

Hello survivors, i would like to suggest UI improvement - the idea is when i pick up something like stick or rock, etc..
I would like to see in my screen how many i already have in my inventory. 

Screen is just for illustration how it could be done.

count.png

• Upvote 5

I think I'd prefer do without another flashing notification popping up on the screen (which some people do find immersion breaking) and take the time to periodically check my inventory for the amount (if the actual count is important... which it usually isn't).  There would also be an issue with items that don't stack vs. items that do... e.g. matches of differing condition vs. matches of the same condition; teas (which never stack), etc.

• Upvote 1

I dont think it would need another flashing pop up on the screen though. An already existing one could simply be updated.

It does not show when picking up a single stick. But when harvesting branches for example, you get the message "harvested sticks (3)" It could be changed to "harvested 3 sticks (12)" The number in brackets would now show the total amount of sticks currently carried.

The pop up would need to be added though, when picking up a single stick as well. Renaming it to "received 1 stick (13)" might be needed too. I personally wouldnt mind having it in the corner on the screen for 3-5 sec, everytime i pick up a single item for the benefit of not having not to check my backpack all the time to see if I got enough sticks for my snow shelter yet. An option to switch off the notification would avoid people, that dont want it, to be annoyed with it.

Although I am not sure it makes sense for all objects. Maybe just have it for craftable objects? Perhaps fire wood and coal, too?

Dont think it would make sense for stuff like food though (except maybe water). Due to the amount of different foods, you would still need to look into your backpack to see how much food you got in total. Unless it would show the total amount of food in weight or calories.

Its a great idea though. really like it, even though it would only be useful for certain items. And to be honest..., its more of a comfort thing that saves you a few seconds by not having to check your inventory. One could also simply engage more with the game, check your backpack once and than just count yourself how many sticks you pick up, instead of having the game count for you.

• Upvote 1

it's a good addition, but i don't think that the number should be shown as the screenshot suggests on mouse over, but instead, during the interaction screen (when u click the object to choose pick/use/ignore) and the item is floating and rotating.

I am happy with the "too heavy" complaint when picking up too many sticks. Don't want more on screen stuff. The same goes for fishing. I don't want the total weight of all fish in my pack showing like i have some calculator on me. The grunts and complaints are sufficient to tell me when to quit fishing or picking up stuff.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...