Lost my 300d ATDS character on a glitch

Love the game but a little perturbed my 300+day ATDS character was lost on a glitch in BI at the deer carcass under the stone arch between the lookout tower and radio tower. I got stuck trying to crawl under the fallen tree and while trying to free myself my character sprained an ankle saving his position and there was no way to get out of the situation despite multiple reload attempts due to the saving after injury. 
  Last year I lost a 700 day interloper character the same way in PV goating over rocks when the character got stuck and again got an injury saving his position permanently.

if I am going to lose a character, especially with that much time and effort invested, I would Much prefer a surprise wolf attack than a glitch.  Just saying. 

45 minutes ago, peteloud said:

That's the main reason I backup my saves.

Ah don’t kid yourself. Save scumming to “protect” against incredibly rare glitches like that is just a rationalization to simply prevent the permadeath. that’s really the “main” reason people do it. protecting against glitches is just the excuse. be honest man.  Save scumming completely ruins the entire tension the game is designed to create.  it’s a whole different game- way , way, way easier- when you don’t have to worry about dying. 

I was just trying to bring attention to the developers of the issue. 

Edited by Lord of the Long Dark

Obligatory statement that I've never save scummed a character in order to recover them from a bad state.

I do backup my saves however in case something like this happens:

On 3/4/2021 at 11:22 PM, tennessean734 said:

I have already submitted a support ticket for this, but this was heartbreaking as I don't back up my saves unlike others. 360 day Stalker run down the drain. I hope this gets fixed soon and that no one else has this issue.

I'm not sure if I would count (for myself) getting stuck as an applicable situation to backup from though. I have had it happen, but got lucky by wiggling out of it by spamming crouch and moving left and right erratically.

At any rate, that sucks that you got stuck :(hope it doesn't happen again.

EDIT

Irrelevant, but my favorite video of a twitch streamer getting stuck:

Edited by darkscaryforest

2 hours ago, Gracia_WolfSlayer said:

That super sucks dude.

Though, IMO, I wouldn't call either of those cases you mentioned a "glitch";  you were going somewhere the player wasn't designed to be able to to go, and got stuck. Crappy, but eh...

You are supposed to go wherever you want within the bounds of the map and if you try to go beyond bounds it simply should be impossible.... or an obvious drop off to certain death. But climbing a rock pile in the middle of the map- uh yeah- you should be able to cross it 

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Lord of the Long Dark said:

You are supposed to go wherever you want within the bounds of the map and if you try to go beyond bounds it simply should be impossible.... or an obvious drop off to certain death. But climbing a rock pile in the middle of the map- uh yeah- you should be able to cross it 

I think the best course of action is to report each location to HL so they can investigate and perhaps change the terrain slightly so that the player cannot get stuck in that area (if it is in an area where players are supposed to be able to go).

On 4/28/2021 at 2:29 AM, Lord of the Long Dark said:

Ah don’t kid yourself. Save scumming to “protect” against incredibly rare glitches like that is just a rationalization to simply prevent the permadeath. that’s really the “main” reason people do it. protecting against glitches is just the excuse. be honest man.  Save scumming completely ruins the entire tension the game is designed to create.  it’s a whole different game- way , way, way easier- when you don’t have to worry about dying. 

I was just trying to bring attention to the developers of the issue. 

You may be right, but how do you actually know that is the case with @peteloud?  Don't presume to know...