A case for Molotov cocktails?

Dancewithknives

For those who do not know, a Molotov Cocktail or Molotov, is an improvised weapon designed from taking a glass bottle, filling it with a flammable liquid (gas, high proof liquor, alcohol derivative, etc )  and using a burning cloth or rag to ignite it when thrown.

Honestly, I’m not necessarily advocating for it to be in the game, but I would like to hear if anyone has a case for molotovs to be added in the game.

On one hand, i think its somewhat fitting as a molotov is as improvised of a weapon as making a pointy stick. Otherwise, I think it would be interesting in some regards to adding in the components to the game, glass bottles as loot, liquor as a low quality food or disinfectant, lighters or matches to ignite the wick, or possibly add in a moonshine station to make these as a unique gimmick to a new area.

But i do agree with those that think it would possibly be too combat oriented for the game.

although I do think that it may be too combat heavy of a tool, there also could be a case for it to be used strictly as a defensive weapon, much like how I use the flare pistol, the molotov can be awful as a hunting weapon but works well to deter wolves, timberwolves, and immediately scare off bears. 

lastly, although this could be a pain to program, i think it could be used as a means to burn scrub bushes if they are in the way rather than taking the time to clear them. As for justification to not allow buildings to burn down, i suppose you could say that the snow makes things so wet that the buildings don’t catch fire. 

I think molotov brings certain unintended consequences. Instead of using liquor to make a molotov, I'd want to let my Astrid pour a cup instead. "Drink up, honey, this evening could be our last; let us celebrate our accomplishments together!"

Also, forest and cabin fires are not modeled. Same for flammable animals. Only possible use I could think of is scaring off animals?

Edit: I didnt read your post, too lazy, so you may have covered most of these things there..

Edited by Stinky socks

3 hours ago, Dancewithknives said:

Yeah, but flares are rather finite. They were my go to for deterring bears and now I’m down to my last 3. 

Everything is finite, one day you will run out of everything especially if you dont pay attention to what you use. On my interlopper run i only have one flare since almost the beggining i always use torches for the wolves and i keep the flare to deter a wolf if there is too much wind. 

Your cocktails molotov use cloth wich is a finite material too and glass wich cannot be found naturally + oil wich can be found naturally by cooking fish but it only gives a small amount and i would rather keep it for my lantern than for molotovs

3 hours ago, Dancewithknives said:

Yeah, but flares are rather finite. They were my go to for deterring bears and now I’m down to my last 3. 

I agree with the poster above.  I think if they wanted to give the player an infinite means of scaring off bears, they could just make them afraid of torches.  Even though they are not easily scared, they generally are fairly easy to avoid, particularly later in the game after you've looted the areas near where they frequent.

2 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

they could just make them afraid of torches.

They are! Once i mountain goated a cliff and there was a bear down there, after 2 hours of passing time it was still there so i tried the torch, It took two torch and he flew.

Of course its only personal experiment and it might have been a bug but the second torch fell ON the bear that might be the cause. I wouldnt try to throw a torch on a bear if i am not safe on a tree or a cliff though

5 minutes ago, oplli said:

They are! Once i mountain goated a cliff and there was a bear down there, after 2 hours of passing time it was still there so i tried the torch, It took two torch and he flew.

Of course its only personal experiment and it might have been a bug but the second torch fell ON the bear that might be the cause. I wouldnt try to throw a torch on a bear if i am not safe on a tree or a cliff though

correction then... they could make them MORE afraid of torches.  As you've indicated, it's not currently very reliable, which is how, I think, the devs are intending it to be.

Heck, I've even had one respond to being shot in the face with a rifle by instantly attacking me; whereas, usually a fairly good shot will cause them to bolt.

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, oplli said:

Everything is finite,

Yes, but if it is an asset thats only available later in the game it could have a longer lifespan after flares are out. I think it would be nice to have a redundancy in animal deterrents  than guns.  Plus, I do like the aesthetic if the improvised weapons.

1 hour ago, Dancewithknives said:

Yes, but if it is an asset thats only available later in the game it could have a longer lifespan after flares are out. I think it would be nice to have a redundancy in animal deterrents  than guns.  Plus, I do like the aesthetic if the improvised weapons.

Technically, flares are not finite since they are among the items that can be found beach combing.  Rather, they are limited so would have to be used sparingly in the later game.  In an open-world sandbox, it would be hard to say that any asset would only be available in the later game as well.  It would have to be done by associating the crafting skill with a level-up..

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Upvote 1