Fire Reflector

Magsemann

Hello,

I would love to see a buildable fire reflector, attachable to campfires, which grants wind protection for one direction and maybe 1 or 2 additional degrees.

With a building cost of 5-6 cedar or pine, it would be balanced out, so you can't build it on every camp. If further balance is needed i would add an decay to it, so that the overall wood needed might not be worth the benefits.

In survival practise, fire reflectors are commonly used, so that it would make sence aswell.

Sorry for the bad english

Stay Warm,

Magsemann

th.jpg

• Upvote 5

Interesting idea. However, I think this is not a very useful thing. these two degrees can be obtained by pressing your back against the rock.

But I will not argue that this is an atmospheric addition to the hiking camp. I would only use it to make my camp look less dreary.

i have seen a lot of videos where it shows that fire reflectors do not increase the surrounding warmth (at least wood ones) although it is useful to stop the wind yes. i think it is a great idea. lets say you find a 90 degree aprox rock then you can use that reflector to cover you on a thrird side. I would totally agree to the addition of this structure ! It could also be used in remote regions when we kill a big animal like a bear or a mose and we want to harvest it without getting your fire blown out by the wind. A full moose is a lot of hours a work multiple days even and in hardest difficulties yo ucannot waste a match to light a second fire beacause of the wind so i would totally use that reflector.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, oplli said:

i have seen a lot of videos where it shows that fire reflectors do not increase the surrounding warmth (at least wood ones) although it is useful to stop the wind yes. i think it is a great idea. lets say you find a 90 degree aprox rock then you can use that reflector to cover you on a thrird side. I would totally agree to the addition of this structure ! It could also be used in remote regions when we kill a big animal like a bear or a mose and we want to harvest it without getting your fire blown out by the wind. A full moose is a lot of hours a work multiple days even and in hardest difficulties yo ucannot waste a match to light a second fire beacause of the wind so i would totally use that reflector.

Good to know! In that case, you should not receive the temperatur. The wind protection was suppost to be the main feature anyway. The addition of this feature, would reward planning, before killing big animals, since you should farm the wood beforehand. Yet im not sure if it might not be too strong of a buff on interlooper.

Edited by Magsemann
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Magsemann said:

Yet im not sure if it might not be too strong of a buff on interlooper

I dont think so, wood is very important in interlopper for everything you depend on fire so i dont think it is going to be easy to do that everywhere it would be unecessairy. I think it would be the most useful when setting up camps in far away regions with poor shelter options and when we are harvesting animals.

• Upvote 2

I think it is a very interesting idea, particularly without giving any warmth buff.  Once concern though would be how it might be exploited to disrupt animal pathing (e.g. creating a sort of fence using a string of these structures.  One way around it would be to limit them in a way similar to what they've done with the rock caches (which they've limited to 5 per zone and they cannot be placed close together).  I'd go further and suggest only allowing one such structure to be erected in the world at a time... forcing the player to dismantle it before being able to ever build another.  They could also make it such that it would take an hour or more to construct and a similar time to dismantle so it wouldn't be something that would necessarily quickly save the player should a blizzard pop up after they've started a fire.  That is, they would have to at least have had some forethought about the location of their fire before being able to use it effectively.

ETA:  On lower difficulties (where I've bothered to collect enough stones to build a cache, I have used a cache as a semi-windbreak for a fire.  It's not all that effective though unless the location is already fairly sheltered by terrain.

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, oplli said:

@UpUpAway95 i find your suggestion nice but i would like to be able to place multiples ones on the region at the same time but i agree they shouldnt be allowed to be placed together

Not sure why you would need multiple ones active in the same region or, by extension, multiple regions at the same time.  You are very likely to only have 1 fire burning anywhere in the world at a given time. 

As a compromise, I'd modify my suggestion to say the time required to build and dismantle could be changed to be relatively short (say, 15 minutes).  With only one allowed in the world at a time, the wood could be returned in full and in kind when the reflector is dismantled without it being too OP... although I like the suggestion above that returns the wood as reclaimed wood regardless of the type of wood used to build it (reclaimed wood having less burn value than either fir or cedar, but having a value in constructing snares, which would be somewhat useful  on occasion in areas of the map where one is not close civilization and sources of reclaimed wood.

4 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Not sure why you would need multiple ones active in the same region or, by extension, multiple regions at the same time.  You are very likely to only have 1 fire burning anywhere in the world at a given time. 

beacause if you forget to dismantle a reflector you have to come back dismantle it and then you can build one where you really want. thats a pain in the ass

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, oplli said:

beacause if you forget to dismantle a reflector you have to come back dismantle it and then you can build one where you really want. thats a pain in the ass

It's no worse than forgetting your bedroll.  If they put in a restriction, people would soon learn to not forget to dismantle it.  Another option would be to not make it a buildable item, but one you find and have to carry with you to use or use an inordinate amount of materials to build it (like the caches which require 50 stones to build).  Without restrictions, building things just anywhere we think they're convenient just makes the game a whole lot easier... too easy, IMO.

6 minutes ago, oplli said:

@UpUpAway95 i dont agree with you but we dont have to. i think we both said what we were thinking, now well see what the devs are thinking if they add it to the game!

I'm just going to reiterate about animal pathing.  Even one reflector left in a strategic path could be exploited to block an animal... causing it to run in place like we've seen animals in this game do from time to time.  My reasoning is to make sure the player dismantles them so that the animals in the area can return to their normal pathing.

1 hour ago, UpUpAway95 said:

My reasoning is to make sure the player dismantles them so that the animals in the area can return to their normal pathing.

Well, what if I don't want to? You have to be realistic here, no one is going to listen to your dialog box saying, "you can't leave, must dismantle reflector first"😁this is a very poor excuse to a cure for a problem that should be solved on the coding side.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stinky socks said:

Well, what if I don't want to? You have to be realistic here, no one is going to listen to your dialog box saying, "you can't leave, must dismantle reflector first"😁this is a very poor excuse to a cure for a problem that should be solved on the coding side.

Then, it would be my opinion that it not be added.  It is an OP addition anyways (i.e. not needed for survival since we've all be playing the game for all this time and the interlopers are now surviving well past 500 days... and playing Outerloper, Deadman, and Naked.  Lower difficulties compensate by lowering the wind variability (which is something every player can choose to also change in the Custom menu if they want to).  I don't think HL is obligated to add something to the game that can potentially be exploited... and then have to solve it all on the coding side.  If they want to, they certainly can.  My expressing my opinion here doesn't stop them.  I'm just discussing options... fleshing out the suggestion.

So... to prevent the animals from getting stuck on these obstacles... what do you suggest?  That they code them so the animals can go right through them as though there is nothing there?

BTW OT:  Answering your question about my No Animal run.  I started another run in Mystery Lake and went to Bleak Inlet... No, there is no wolf in the Cannery when you set all the animal spawns to "None."

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

So... to prevent the animals from getting stuck on these obstacles... what do you suggest?  That they code them so the animals can go right through them as though there is nothing there?

I think the devs already have in mind a way to fix a lot of bugs and we are only here to sugest new ideas ; we suggest the fire reflector then the devs decide if its worth it to add it and if it needs new bug fixes. you are not helping them as they are profetionals, they know what to do and it leaves an irrelevent debate on the table.

• Upvote 2

Ah poor fluffy. Even she gets axed when spawns to none. Thank you for up heads!

7 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

what do you suggest?  That they code them so the animals can go right through them as though there is nothing there?

No, why not at all. Perhaps a fire reflector is just not going to work here. Thank you.

What is a naked run? I mean I do it all the time IRL, but how does it pertain to settings for the difficulty? I am intrigued, is this a survival game without wearing anything? Thank you. Ps- Astrid wears bra and panties when 'naked', I checked, so it can't be faithful naked experience, there's certain warmth bonus already present by default.

• Upvote 1

On 4/25/2021 at 6:07 PM, Stinky socks said:

Ah poor fluffy. Even she gets axed when spawns to none. Thank you for up heads!

No, why not at all. Perhaps a fire reflector is just not going to work here. Thank you.

What is a naked run? I mean I do it all the time IRL, but how does it pertain to settings for the difficulty? I am intrigued, is this a survival game without wearing anything? Thank you. Ps- Astrid wears bra and panties when 'naked', I checked, so it can't be faithful naked experience, there's certain warmth bonus already present by default.

Different Twitch streamers make up all sorts of different challenge runs.  I think Atheenon did what he called a naked run a year or so ago.  I think Kimiota has also done one.  Basically, normal play, but you can't wear any additional clothes.  I'm don't think the bra and panties actually give a warmth bonus, but I'd have to check the in-game stat screen while not wearing any clothes to be sure.  You can check it out yourself also if you're really interested.  Deadman began its life as a custom code challenge conjured up by a streamer... and is why I say they know that standard Interloper is not the most difficult setting to play the game.  There are many ways to make custom setting games more difficult than standard interloper (but I digress... back to fire reflectors).

It's an interesting idea, but unfortunately an exploitable device in-game that could be used to disrupt animal pathing and create artificial "safe" areas for the players or artificial "hunting blinds."  HL would have to work out a solution... obviously, anything I've suggested is not acceptable.

Edited by UpUpAway95