Worst place for snare lines?

hozz1235

So far, mine has to be:  Ravine --> Ravine (near transition to BI).

Trap line:

screen_5bd83b03-ca79-47db-b600-f1229e31ece7_hi.thumb.png.fec6d891d42c0a8cf9c7031b588d6bd1.png

Results after one day (3):

screen_a51d8942-cd20-4c85-a030-ec2a51912f35_hi.thumb.png.2798a27da939c868cc593b28bf29ee0e.png

results after day 2 (zero):

screen_4e2d332f-cf67-4625-8080-2e44efdc0b07_hi.thumb.png.9dc5997269ba72ed01a7acfb316381b4.png

Okay, recent edit...can't get any worse than this.  Trap line at BI near Ravine transition:

screen_34cfba5f-fc32-4b75-b383-02a787b282cb_hi.thumb.png.4e2f68b3f6e989514c7f73710243fd2a.png

Day 1 results (zero):

screen_9534eae5-3e98-4350-beb1-622ad5530c73_hi.thumb.png.6b47f00151fcc79576e6b0f422d5eb5b.png

day 2 results (zero):

screen_359de890-4978-4920-9c4b-b79d602fd13f_hi.png

Edited by hozz1235

You can find worse place to place trap. For example inside Quonset garage or inside caves.

6 traps placed on correct place was almost able to feed my voyager character. And as per guts. One trap was able to catch more than one rabbit usually. So there was profit as well. Plus I have ton of rabbit furs. So I plan to create hats, leave them outside and repair them to get elusive level 5 in repairing.

7 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

Come on, let's be reasonable here...do I really need to include in my question, "...where there are rabbits..."?

I am sorry. I did not get it. You know. Rabbitses can be pretty sneaky. They hide all day, then jump of the snow right into your trap.

BTW If I remember it correctly, there is one rabbit in a cave. It spooked me when I saw him first time thinking that the movement is another cave wolf.

I find that snare lines are not really needed; I put 4-8 snares in a close cluster, in a rabbit grove, as the actual position of the snare does not, to my knowledge, affect catching a rabbit as long as rabbits regularly spawn in that area. Snare lines are inefficient, take longer to harvest, and require more maintenance. Even if you did catch 12 rabbits at a time, it would take a while to prep them all; you simply don't need that many rabbits at once. 

In late game, I can see a ton of snares being important, as rabbits get less and less common. But frankly, I'm pretty sure even in interloper that food is not the limiting factor as long as you are adept with the bow and arrow and can kill bears and wolves for food. 

8 hours ago, Megaloceros said:

I find that snare lines are not really needed; I put 4-8 snares in a close cluster, in a rabbit grove, as the actual position of the snare does not, to my knowledge, affect catching a rabbit as long as rabbits regularly spawn in that area. Snare lines are inefficient, take longer to harvest, and require more maintenance. Even if you did catch 12 rabbits at a time, it would take a while to prep them all; you simply don't need that many rabbits at once. 

In late game, I can see a ton of snares being important, as rabbits get less and less common. But frankly, I'm pretty sure even in interloper that food is not the limiting factor as long as you are adept with the bow and arrow and can kill bears and wolves for food. 

I wasn't really conducting this experiment for efficiency, but more for curiosity.  I do understand snares are not the most effective means to gather food.

I was performing test in my voyager run. Set 6 traps for 50 days in the rabbit grove and gathered them every day. If I was to keep well fed bonus, I would not achieve it. I caught around 150 rabbits and yield 166kg of meat. This would left me around 50 000 kCal in red number. But if the point is to survive while starving through day and eat only before going to bed, I would be around 50 000 kCal in black numbers. Of course numbers for higher difficulties will differ. And it was around day 300 so I dont know how much wildlife diminish after day 500.

The only investment into this was around 10 pieces of reclaimed wood and guts. (4 traps was buffer for replacing broken ones) End status of materials was 10  pieces of reclaimed wood and more than 100 guts.

So I think rabbit trapping combined with fishing is more than capable to keep voyager alive. In fact that was my character living at the test. Plus occasional visit from the brotherhood of fury paw. They tried to get my earnings, so they were on the menu as well.

BTW anyone in needs some rabbit furs, you can head to Coastal Highway, Jackrabbit island. There is around 150 pelts free to take :D

• Like 1

why didn't you set up more traps?
Also you should have harvested the pelts (and guts?). 150 pelts costed you (120 KCal each) 18.000 KCal.

That's actually a tip for interloper: don't harvest pelts and guts until you have a bow and can hunt

For the worst place for snare I go with this one:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2460121239

Edited by Lycrist

• 2 weeks later...

I was testing if one rabbit grove will be depleted after beeing constantly harvested. I have created a topic 

And I can see I forgot to put last 20 days of the measuring there. 

It was on Voyager and I did not have other tasks to do , so I harvested everything. I had quite a meat to spear from previous, so no problem feeding my character.