The hunting trip I realized I love this game

ilenisaatio

I was completely green to The Long Dark at that point (still not much experience but I'm pretty solid day-to-day), and was dragging myself back at Mystery Lake after a long day of running around exploring. Was almost at my base camp when I saw a deer, and being low on food, decided to take it down with my rifle. Made a bad hit and the deer ran and I ran after it. Seems like it took ages and the dusk started creeping and I didn't really know where I was as the fog was blanketing everything but the tracks. I finally found the carcass but a blizzard was coming along with the dark. Being on the red with exhaustion, I had to build a snow shelter (my first) and sleep the night out. It was such a thrill.

Come dawn, the blizzard had settled and I was still in one piece. I think I've never seen a more beautiful dawn than that in a game. Here's a pic I took while waiting for the deer to thaw. Stoned a rabbit as well while gathering firewood.

I've started thinking about my decisions and the conditions more carefully before making decisions after that. 😉

20210129221951_1.jpg

• Upvote 4
  • Like 6

It really is a nice game.  I find it both relaxing to play and sometimes thrilling when I’m on a hunt!  Walking along on a long trek is nice as the scenery flows by.  And then there’s the adrenaline spike when the wolf rushes in while you walk slowly back holding that last arrow ready to release.  
Or the smug satisfaction that comes from arrow sniping a whole pack of wolves one by one as they Yelp and fall over.  
The sense of accomplishment when that moose finally kneels into a snowbank.  
Or the rush of terror and horror as the bear catches you and mauls you within an inch of your life.

There’s the “oh shit” moment when the lead timberwolf spots you and sticks his nose up to howl in the pack.  And the savage glee of shooting him dead while he’s doing that, and watching the moral of the others tank.  
The quiet sense of greed as you line the shelf of your hideout with cans of pilfered food, bottles of water, and boxes of crackers.   

It’s kept me interested for a couple of years now.  

• Upvote 1
  • Like 3

Reading your post, I am almost sad. I have been playing the game basically since it came out, I have been to most places and done most things, and hearing you experience it for the first time, learning as you go, I almost envy you. This game is amazing, and I can not agree more then with what @Bean said... the game is amazing. The way it pulls you in... I dont think I have ever been so immersed in a game then this one. 

Only just recently I took the time to explore the new region, Ash canyon... There is a sense of pride when you just finish climbing that first major ledge on a rope climb as the sun begins to set, you are tired and build the campfire to warm yourself as you set up a small camp behind a stone to protect the fire from wind, and then you go take a look at the sun, setting over the mountaintops... it just pulls you in. 

Once you become a seasoned player, I often find that you focus on survival a bit too much, and it is easy to forget to take your time and appreciate the beauty... if I can give one tiny tip to you - there is no need to rush everywhere. Take your time, and trully experience the journey, friend.

P.S: The picture is pitch perfect. The one thing that makes it even better is the story that is behind it!

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

On 2/12/2021 at 11:36 AM, Mroz4k said:

I have been playing the game basically since it came out, I have been to most places and done most things, and hearing you experience it for the first time, learning as you go, I almost envy you. This game is amazing, and I can not agree more then with what @Bean said... the game is amazing. The way it pulls you in... I dont think I have ever been so immersed in a game then this one.

Only just recently I took the time to explore the new region, Ash canyon...

I wholeheartedly agree, the immersion is unreal.

And much love to Hinterland for what you just described. Games that keep on growing and entertaining for years on end are very rare. Though I also feel the funny sort of envy when reading how new initiates 🙂 are taking it all in for the first time, I am thrilled with the amount and quality of new content in the form of new regions and major mechanics: BI and AC really give me the beginner's goosebumps all over again!