Dancing Compass

Lone Trekker

So as the lore is based on a geomagnetic storm it seems unlikely that a compass would work in the conventional sense.

It does seem likely that given the scenario our character finds themselves in it would only be reasonable to encounter said compass. 

So how about a compass that spins erratically? It dances around on the compass face. But on “specific” days it spins at high-speed -the needle whizzing by in a counter- clockwise pattern.

There will be an aurora tonight...

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

I actually really like the idea of compasses being aurora indicators and think it'd give them a decent place in the game. Would be a perfect accompaniment for an update that made aurora effects more important. (IMO a simple change would be allowing flashlight strong charges to stun rabbits, and causing rabbits to come out in greater numbers during the aurora)

• Upvote 1

On 1/16/2021 at 11:09 PM, Lone Trekker said:

@Lexilogo I really like your idea of making auroras more important. It would be nice to have a critical “need” for it. Any ideas on what would be considered important enough to travel at night?

I don't think it needs to be a "need" so much as an opportunity. IMO auroras should be exciting, but right now I honestly just sleep through them nine times out of ten.

A few other suggestions besides what I already said with rabbits and flashlights:

-More electronically locked stuff like what's at Bleak Inlet, so some supply caches might encourage you to hang around in an area for an aurora

-Giving players a Fatigue buff while an aurora is active, so they're not only encouraged to get out and do stuff but will also likely be woken up if they didn't realize an aurora was tonight

On 1/18/2021 at 10:57 AM, Lexilogo said:

I don't think it needs to be a "need" so much as an opportunity. IMO auroras should be exciting, but right now I honestly just sleep through them nine times out of ten.

A few other suggestions besides what I already said with rabbits and flashlights:

-More electronically locked stuff like what's at Bleak Inlet, so some supply caches might encourage you to hang around in an area for an aurora

-Giving players a Fatigue buff while an aurora is active, so they're not only encouraged to get out and do stuff but will also likely be woken up if they didn't realize an aurora was tonight

I really like the fatigue-buff idea, I agree that it would encourage players to get out at night. 

For an off-the wall idea:

How about an old astronomical observatory that needs electricity to align?

It could even be world-building in that you could find the notes of the scientist who used to work there -studying magnetic fields, sun discharge, etc. 

You could view the night sky with the telescope and witness CMEs from the sun and use the other instruments in the observatory. 

1 hour ago, Lone Trekker said:

Yorgunluk tutkunu fikrini gerçekten çok seviyorum, oyuncuları geceleri dışarı çıkmaya teşvik edeceğine katılıyorum. 

Duvar dışı bir fikir için:

Hizalamak için elektriğe ihtiyaç duyan eski bir astronomik gözlemevine ne dersiniz?

Hatta bir zamanlar orada çalışan bilim adamının manyetik alan, güneş deşarjı vb. Araştıran notlarını bulabileceğiniz için dünya inşa ediyor olabilir. 

Gece gökyüzünü teleskopla görüntüleyebilir, CME'lere güneşten tanık olabilir ve gözlemevindeki diğer aletleri kullanabilirsiniz. 

Why would you put a place like this in my head now🤔🤔

I understand where the idea comes from, but since I don't think it would have any real practical use...  I don't think it would really be worth the time and resources that Hinterland would likely need to spend in order to incorporate it.

:coffee::fire::coffee:
I can agree it might be a nice touch from a world-building standpoint... but it's one that I can live without.

Edited by ManicManiac

On 1/12/2021 at 1:08 AM, odizzido said:

I think it would be neat in the intro of the story mode to see Will pull out a compass to try to figure out where to go and see it spinning around uselessly.

Why has this not been apart of Wintermute yet? So much story-telling done right here! No dialogue or needless exposition! This should be a, 'Show, don't tell,' kind of game, so this would be perfect.