Freezing affects fire skill

DillonG

I think it might be cool if there was a thing where if you have frostbite or hypothermia risk, it would make it harder to start a fire. And maybe if you have a higher  fire starting skill it could combat this. Thought it might be cool.

• Upvote 1

@DillonG. I like this; it adds realism.  The cold does make simple tasks harder so why shouldn’t it true in game?  It could be extended to everything like collecting meat, chopping wood, etc.  Is that something you would like to see extended to all aspects of the game or did you want it just for fires?

... and on another thread, we have people complaining about the swaying effect interfering with their starting a fire when their health is low... what's a dev to do, eh?

Signs of being too cold are shivering while aiming.... it has an immediate effect because we aim our weapons.  However, there is no aiming involved in this game when it comes down to striking a  match to light a fire.  It's all in your odds based on your fire starting level.  I don't think messing with the odds in a minor way to account for every drop in body temp is going to add any meaningful challenge to the game or really even enhance the realism of it.

I do like the idea....however I don't like how fire starting currently works and with this it would be even worse. I wish that instead of having to click through the menu a bunch retrying to start a fire it would instead auto repeat or simply have a variable time required to make the fire. It can consume the same amount of resources, I just dislike clicking through the tedious menu system this game has and I certainly don't want to do it more, even if the OPs idea sounds good to me.

Alternatively of course they could overhaul the UI....it really could use it.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, DillonG said:

I think it might be cool if there was a thing where if you have frostbite or hypothermia risk, it would make it harder to start a fire. And maybe if you have a higher  fire starting skill it could combat this. Thought it might be cool.

This is something that comes to mind often while playing this game. It's a great suggestion @DillonG.

The fire starting percent chance is a great part of the cold weather aspect of TLD survival roleplay at all levels.

The following could add the cold difficulty nerf to fire starting separately from fire starting skill level.

For the fire starting idea from the OP:

• Cardboard Matches, (Could be useless when survivor has frostbite risk/when matches are damp).
  • Wood Matches, (Could have low chance of success when survivor has frostbite risk/when matches are damp).
  • Waterproof Storm Wood Matches, (Could add "Waterproof and Windproof wood matches").
  • Lit Torch, (Requires campfire and/or use of matches/Firestriker).
  • Flare, (Perhaps useful in event of frostbite risk/sprained wrist that makes fine motor skills impossible).
  • Marine Flare, (Waterproof version of road flare).
  • Firestriker, (Could be useless when survivor has sprained wrist).
  • Mag-Lens, (Requires sunlight but has chance of success when survivor has frostbite risk/sprained wrist).

My hope is that the game will continue to evolve to include additional tool quality levels,

(IE: stone-edge, improvised knife, hunting knife, quality hunting knife, etc).

Stay safe my friends. :coffee:

unnamed.jpg

Edited by s7mar7in
  • Upvote 1

On 1/4/2021 at 4:40 PM, s7mar7in said:

This is something that comes to mind often while playing this game. It's a great suggestion @DillonG.

The fire starting percent chance is a great part of the cold weather aspect of TLD survival roleplay at all levels.

The following could add the cold difficulty nerf to fire starting separately from fire starting skill level.

For the fire starting idea from the OP:

• Cardboard Matches, (Could be useless when survivor has frostbite risk/when matches are damp).
  • Wood Matches, (Could have low chance of success when survivor has frostbite risk/when matches are damp).
  • Waterproof Storm Wood Matches, (Could add "Waterproof and Windproof wood matches").
  • Lit Torch, (Requires campfire and/or use of matches/Firestriker).
  • Flare, (Perhaps useful in event of frostbite risk/sprained wrist that makes fine motor skills impossible).
  • Marine Flare, (Waterproof version of road flare).
  • Firestriker, (Could be useless when survivor has sprained wrist).
  • Mag-Lens, (Requires sunlight but has chance of success when survivor has frostbite risk/sprained wrist).

My hope is that the game will continue to evolve to include additional tool quality levels,

(IE: stone-edge, improvised knife, hunting knife, quality hunting knife, etc).

Stay safe my friends. :coffee:

unnamed.jpg

These are great ideas. These would add a bit of realism and make it more interesting. And many people say that the long dark is true survival, if this was added it would make it even better.

• Upvote 1

On 1/3/2021 at 7:47 PM, DillonG said:

This would also effect other things, such as giving yourself any kind of medical treatment after animal attacks. They would also have to address the difference between starting fires in a wood stove vs outdoors. 

Could be a large can of worms.