TLD 2 with next-gen graphics

asterix

Are there any plans to make a part 2 of this game with 4k next-gen graphics? Cars with same level of detail as Forza Horizon 4? Houses with same detail as Unreal Engine Interior Design demos? Snow that has light bounce off of it like light bounces off of landscape in Journey ?

If you haven't noticed the long dark isn't exactly striving photo realism. Every graphical improvement the long dark could have without changing its style could easily be done on generation eight hardware, or  even seven. In fact you'd probably be fine on generation six. Actually you might be able to run the current version of the game on the Dreamcast. As for ray tracing there are a large hand full of less intensive ways of having dynamic lighting that could add all the texture and depth that the long dark could ever want.

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, asterix said:

I was afraid that would be the response I would get.

I liked the artistic graphics at first but I'm not sure I can take the carved-potato like cars any more :(

Yeah, people are acting like mama bear around suggestions that might severely alter the current experience. But the survivalist genre seems to be flourishing so you should be able to find something that interest you with better graphics :)

• Like 3

Realistically, this game is a long ways from being finished yet.  There are two episodes to be added to the story mode, interspersed with, I'm sure, significant changes/additions to be made to survival mode.  After that, I'm confident the devs would like to move onto something new and different from TLD... whether that's a survival game with photo-quality graphics or not... who knows.

Have you tried playing TLD in either one of the other two graphics modes for a different feel?

Heavy art style >>>>>>> photo realism every time.

Photo realism is what I consider a cancer of the gaming industry. It's why so many games these day are forgettable. Photo realism will also age, unlike a heavy art style.
Photo realistic games that looked good even 4 years ago now look like crap. Meanwhile there are SNES and Sega Genesis games that still look beautiful.

Then there is the problem of costs. Photo realism costs an incredible amount of labor, time and money for something that will be ugly within 4 years.

I’d hate to see The Long Darks iconic art style that makes is immediately unique from any other game replaced by yet another photo realistic snooze fest that I won’t be able to tell apart from any other first person game with snow in it.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, asterix said:

I was afraid that would be the response I would get.

I liked the artistic graphics at first but I'm not sure I can take the carved-potato like cars any more :(

I feel where your coming from but in all honesty this is one of those gems that gameplay definitely over shadows any type of personal graphic "fallback".

I'm playing on the switch so my graphic expectations are pretty low. And when I think about PC or other consoles I have it in mind that the graphics are significantly better. 

On 12/28/2020 at 6:14 PM, UpUpAway95 said:

Realistically, this game is a long ways from being finished yet.  There are two episodes to be added to the story mode, interspersed with, I'm sure, significant changes/additions to be made to survival mode.  After that, I'm confident the devs would like to move onto something new and different from TLD... whether that's a survival game with photo-quality graphics or not... who knows.

Have you tried playing TLD in either one of the other two graphics modes for a different feel?

I have played the other two graphics modes, they're alright. Not good but not bad either.

I can relate to developers probably wanting to move on.

I don't think hinterland has the resources to create a game with really good graphics. The unique style of the game is a calculated move to make it look at least okay without blowing out the budget.

That being said, this game already has 4K I am quite sure. Quake 2 does too, and that came out in 1997. Having engines where you can select your resolution is handy.

I much prefer TLD with its basic graphics to other games that have super-detailed everything.  The game is so immersive with what seems like realistic problems that when I am playing I don't notice the basic graphics. 

I think HTL has been very clever in producing such a good game with relatively limited resources.  I'd rather have good game-play with basic graphics than real life graphics and poor game-play.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1