a long dark rip off

Theburnedone

i found a steam game that after i bought and played can say that this is just a more combat focused the long dark i just thought this should be out there in case yal wanna look at it the game its called "Northen lights" and after paying for it i can say its garbage and steals many ideas and features straight from the long dark along with the same story.

now i just want my 17 dollars back

i included a picture if you don't believe me

Screenshot 2020-12-15 091931.png

"Look... me and the McDonald's people got this little misunderstanding. See, they're McDonald's... I'm McDowell's. They got the Golden Arches, mine is the Golden Arcs. They got the Big Mac, I got the Big Mick. We both got two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles and onions, but their buns have sesame seeds. My buns have no seeds."

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

"Look... me and the McDonald's people got this little misunderstanding. See, they're McDonald's... I'm McDowell's. They got the Golden Arches, mine is the Golden Arcs. They got the Big Mac, I got the Big Mick. We both got two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles and onions, but their buns have sesame seeds. My buns have no seeds."

Omg Love this reference!!

• Upvote 1

It doesn't bother me that Northern Lights seems to have used a similar theme to that created by TLD, (unless someone can show that the theme is copyrighted).  Microsoft Excel and Word seemed to have their theme copied from Lotus 1-2-3 and WordPerfect, and nowadays I don't see any complaints about that.  

If Northern Lights is a better game than TLD, which I very much doubt, then it is all for the good of the gamer.  That would spur HTL to produce their next game to a higher standard.

What I did notice is that the Northern Lights is an 85MB download.  That suggests that is is very small game and still needs a great deal of development. It's reviews are not all that good, but that could just be result of it being an Early Access game.

There are aspects of TLD which are poor.  The graphics are less detailed than games of almost 10 years ago, compare TLD with 2011 Skyrim.  However that has not bothered me one bit.  In fact, I smile and give HTL a positive mark for being clever in using simplified graphics and avoiding detailed faces.  I think that a very sensible strategy by a relatively small, emergent gaming company.

TLD is, by far, the best game that I have played.  I have probably played TLD for more hours than all my other games added together, almost certainly more than 4,000 hours.  The important thing in gaming is the game psychology, and at that HTL has been brilliant. It will take some beating.  One thing I look forward too is Hinterland's next game.  That should amazing.

. . . .

Addendum.

I have just seen another copy of the Northern Lights that is 11GB, so I seem to be wrong about the size of it.

Edited by peteloud

Its only a matter of time before something better comes out. Its a 10 year old game with very slow progress after all. Don't get me wrong I love the game,  but that's how it is. Imo that's the best thing about this, TLD has set a very high standard so that the next game will have to surpass this in order to be better. 

" Bad artists copy. Good artists steal. " - Picasso

I have just tried Northern Lights.  It was very disappointing.  I hate to be negative on such an issue as some guys must have put lot of work into it, but the opening 15 minutes of the game was not good. 

The first problem was that it was very jerky. That in itself would be enough to put me off. Initially all my graphics settings were high, so to give it a chance I set everything to medium.  It was still jerky.

It started off in a blizzard.  The wind blown snow was awful, considerably inferior to TLD.

I feel a bit sad to say it, but as it is at the moment, it is very poor.  It's not even worth trying.  I hope it gets better.

All games "rip eachother off". TLD is built upon all of the good games that came before it. It only takes one person with a good idea, like using the mouse to look around in an FPS game, before it becomes normal practice. TLD is a little unique in that it tries to have the environment be more threatening, though I do feel it suffers a little from the typical zombie hoard thing still(replace zombies with dogs here). But perhaps in play testing they found it was more engaging or perhaps simpler to have to kill a bunch of dogs instead of focusing more on environmental survival.

Personally I would be happy if TLD gets some clones, it could kick off a new batch of games. Survival games that focus less on zombies and more on the environment. That would be great.