Question about hacksaws in Survival

Booch

Evening all.  Need some help with hacksaws.  I was wandering around and using the hacksaw to grab some scrap metal.  Saw was at 100%.  Every time I used the saw, it dropped 5%.  Got down to 10% and figured 1 more use and I'll stop so I can repair it at BI.  It broke. Ruined.  No worries, I thought, I'll repair it. Went back "home" and got the basic tools and scrap metal. Can't repair. Hmmmmm. Grabbed a quality tools...can't repair.  Oh well, I'll fix it at BI.  Off I go and trek on over to BI.  Waited until night and, lucky me, first night I get an aurora.  Go to repair the hacksaw and, guess what, no repair.  Very confused.  Was reading up and the Long Dark Wiki says "The machine works with the following items: Rifle, Revolver, Hacksaw, HatchetKnife, Improvised Hatchet and Improvised knife. Before Errant Pilgrim if a tool or weapon was destroyed it would not be able to be repaired at all, after Errant Pilgrim however all of the aforementioned tools can be repaired even after complete destruction. This includes both firearms."  Anyone have any insight on this.  Kinda want my hacksaw back.  Many thanks!

3 minutes ago, Booch said:

Evening all.  Need some help with hacksaws.  I was wandering around and using the hacksaw to grab some scrap metal.  Saw was at 100%.  Every time I used the saw, it dropped 5%.  Got down to 10% and figured 1 more use and I'll stop so I can repair it at BI.  It broke. Ruined.  No worries, I thought, I'll repair it. Went back "home" and got the basic tools and scrap metal. Can't repair. Hmmmmm. Grabbed a quality tools...can't repair.  Oh well, I'll fix it at BI.  Off I go and trek on over to BI.  Waited until night and, lucky me, first night I get an aurora.  Go to repair the hacksaw and, guess what, no repair.  Very confused.  Was reading up and the Long Dark Wiki says "The machine works with the following items: Rifle, Revolver, Hacksaw, HatchetKnife, Improvised Hatchet and Improvised knife. Before Errant Pilgrim if a tool or weapon was destroyed it would not be able to be repaired at all, after Errant Pilgrim however all of the aforementioned tools can be repaired even after complete destruction. This includes both firearms."  Anyone have any insight on this.  Kinda want my hacksaw back.  Many thanks!

Any tool that's below 20% has a chance to break on your next use.  Something like a hatchet you might be able to keep using a hatchet until it hits 1%, or it could break at 19%. It's all random.  Unfortunately, your saw is gone, but you can at least harvest it for scrap to repair another saw if you find one.

The milling machine will allow you to repair damaged equipment, but the only items it can bring back from a 0% "Ruined" status are the rifle and revolver. The Wiki should be taken with a grain of salt.

https://thelongdark.fandom.com/wiki/Decay#Tools
The information here also discusses the various breaking thresholds (that is to say, at what condition percentage a tool can possibly break on use).

In addition to this... yes, once a tool is ruined (or broken), it can't be repaired.  It's pretty much always been that way.

The only exception that I know of is that it is now possible to use the milling machine to possibly save some broken weapons (maybe some of the  tools?):  https://thelongdark.fandom.com/wiki/Milling_machine

:coffee::fire::coffee:
Of course, I can't vouch for the accuracy of the information on the wiki. :)

Edited by ManicManiac

2 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

Of course, I can't vouch for the accuracy of the information on the wiki. :)

I deliberately tested this--it only works to restore ruined firearms.  Ruined tools of any other kind--hatchet, knife, their improvised counterparts, and the hacksaw--if they hit 0 they're done for.

Think I'm gonna go update the wiki myself to clear that up.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

I deliberately tested this--it only works to restore ruined firearms.  Ruined tools of any other kind--hatchet, knife, their improvised counterparts, and the hacksaw--if they hit 0 they're done for.

Think I'm gonna go update the wiki myself to clear that up.

Many thanks all.  Appreciate the info.

• 1 month later...