Time to set up shop again

manolitode

Once more Great bear is empty of stuff to loot and its time to settle down again. I'm having doubts about where to store the goods this time because of the upcoming episode 4 (please express complaints of the waiting time elsewhere 😊). I have some loot in Coastal Highway and there is likely to be a major update when we get episode 4 or 5 and I'll wait for that before I finally move all my stuff there because I still enjoy CH endgame. While we have the Lost and found boxes there have been previous reports of stashes of loot going lost forever with updates. I want to avoid that and am curious where you would find it advisable to stash the loot?

I currently keep most of the loot in Mystery Lake dam and some in Cinder hills coal mine. I doubt that there will be any major updates to Mystery Lake. Coastal Highway seems more plausible to change. So currently the plan is to create some rock caches outside Cinder hills in Pleasant Valley, as that region should be unaffected by the next episodes' revision. 

Any thoughts?

Edited by manolitode

If you're an experienced player, I would encourage you to settle down in Bleak Inlet. It is such a gorgeus zone and it has challenges up for a experienced player, so why not? Most of the other locations are obvious!

2 hours ago, manolitode said:

Once more Great bear is empty of stuff to loot and its time to settle down again. I'm having doubts about where to store the goods this time because of the upcoming episode 4 (please express complaints of the waiting time elsewhere 😊).

To be honest I wish there were no campaign mode and the whole team was totally invested in upgrading survival mode and adding new areas. We've come such a long way since release, and there's still SO much potential for this game and its amazing survival mechanics. That's just my opinion though.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Danielviomusic said:

If you're an experienced player, I would encourage you to settle down in Bleak Inlet. It is such a gorgeus zone and it has challenges up for a experienced player, so why not? Most of the other locations are obvious!

To be honest I wish there were no campaign mode and the whole team was totally invested in upgrading survival mode and adding new areas. We've come such a long way since release, and there's still SO much potential for this game and its amazing survival mechanics. That's just my opinion though.

That's a nice idea, I like Bleak Inlet in late game for a variety of reasons. It also seems plausible that it wouldn't be too affected by the upcoming story mode updates. The downside is that BI is quite far away from everything and I'm not up to transporting the Cinder Hills mine storage down the rope in BI. In that case I would just as well bring all of it to the dam. I'm curious whether you and others are considering the potential risk of losing their well-earned gear with future updates when planning endgame storage?  

As for story mode, I too play for survival but very much look forward to play as Will again and see how the story unfolds 😀

Edited by manolitode

20 hours ago, Screenshot Pilgrim said:

I've got this library thing going at the Farmhouse in PV, and hoping it doesn't get derailed with Dec update.  In fact, looking forward to adding any books from Ash Canyon when the time comes.  I haven't had any trouble with losing gear in previous updates, but that sounds like famous last words...

Hehe it does sound like it 😉 I've been lucky so far as well. Suppose trying to minimize the risk is better than doing nothing, even though it's just guessing about upcoming updates. 

Out of curiousity, how many skill books have you found so far and on what difficulty? I collected 46 on a current loper, I’m unsure whether it varies between difficulties.

2 hours ago, manolitode said:

Out of curiousity, how many skill books have you found so far and on what difficulty?

I've got 16 skill books so far on Voyager.  That's just from PV, CH, OIC, and DP.  Although, I haven't looked everywhere in PV yet.  Need to sweep across the northern part on my way up to Timberwolf Mt. 

So far, the totals for each difficulty are unknown (at least to me), but thanks for sharing your interloper finds.  Do you think you've got most or all of em from the entire island?

17 hours ago, Screenshot Pilgrim said:

I've got 16 skill books so far on Voyager.  That's just from PV, CH, OIC, and DP.  Although, I haven't looked everywhere in PV yet.  Need to sweep across the northern part on my way up to Timberwolf Mt. 

So far, the totals for each difficulty are unknown (at least to me), but thanks for sharing your interloper finds.  Do you think you've got most or all of em from the entire island?

Yes 46 should be all of them as I looted just about everything on this playthrough, but you never know. Though I wonder whether there's a fixed number of skill books even within one given difficulty. 

Okay, so 16 skill books on voyager, lets make a highly unscientific estimate ☺️ We have 10 main regions and 3 transition regions, lets call that 11.5 maps in total for our calculation. You looted CH and DP, that's 2 points, circa 0.75% of PV equalling 0.75 points, and I'm a bit lost as of the abbreviation OIC but we'll go with 0.5 for now. That means you looted 28% of the world and found 16 books. This gives us a very rough estimate of 57 skill books in all of Great Bear on voyager (more likely within the range of 45-71). The estimate is what it is but it seems that easier difficulties may have more skill books and thereby be affected by the resource setting in custom.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, odium said:

isnt it generally the indoor locations that are affected?  you could pile up a ton of stuff in a nearby cave i would think 

That's a very good point and it makes stone caches a decent solution in theory. I think it's far to say it's way safer to store loot in a cache outside Cinder Hills than inside it. Since Cinder Hills obviously hasn't caved in in survival mode as it has in story, it is at "risk" of changes with the next episode. 

Caves in general may be less safe than one would think. Someone reported losing a huge stack of improvised knives and hatches from the FM cave once it was updated to constitute a transition point to Bleak Inlet. 

• Upvote 1

I use the rock caches a ton in the game. I don’t trust most transition zone containers. But I’m also really bad about getting bored and wandering to a new game, and forgetting about the old. So I haven’t really experienced things vanishing like that. It may have happened, but my ADHD I guess precludes my experiencing it😁

But I do like putting the rock caches right outside the transition zones, to facilitate migration...

• Like 1

On 11/12/2020 at 6:43 AM, Danielviomusic said:

New maps for Survival is so great, I'd happily pay for expansions to the game that just provide more maps that don't even appear in the Story mode.

Heck they could probably hire a 2nd team that just pumps out map-only expansion packs, as another revenue stream.

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Sherri said:

New maps for Survival is so great, I'd happily pay for expansions to the game that just provide more maps that don't even appear in the Story mode.

Heck they could probably hire a 2nd team that just pumps out map-only expansion packs, as another revenue stream.

I would 100% pay for a homesteading/crafting expansion. The ability to repair things (like roofs and cabinets), the ability to move/remove and build furniture, the ability to craft bearskin rugs and bedspreads, gun racks and deer antlers above a fireplace, etc. 

On 11/15/2020 at 5:46 PM, TiffTastic said:

I use the rock caches a ton in the game. I don’t trust most transition zone containers. But I’m also really bad about getting bored and wandering to a new game, and forgetting about the old. So I haven’t really experienced things vanishing like that. It may have happened, but my ADHD I guess precludes my experiencing it😁

Indeed, the lucky unbeknown 😊 though I must admit the shame, I also die occasionaly (dying of bordedom is not a valid excuse anyway). Makes it hard to see the long-term effect of updates. Anyway, I think you're in good company. Somebody on this forum, sorry I forgot who it was, suggested staying in the same region for 100 days at a time as a personal challenge. I thought that would solve the boredom in progressing through the regions too quickly so I tried it but limited the amount of days to 50. It was quite fun to be honest! But it took 42 days to get a jacket in PV, the starting region. Though I had a ski jacket for almost a day (I love ghost bears) the second jacket was the bear coat. A bit ironic that the bear that ripped the jacket became one himself. Circle of life. So if all goes well, perhaps I'll come back and report the effects of the upcoming updates...

Edited by manolitode
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, manolitode said:A bit ironic that the bear that ripped the jacket became one himself. Circle of life. So if all goes well, perhaps I'll come back and report the effects of the upcoming updates...

Yup, gotta love the replacement bear.....sweet, sweet revenge.

Yeah, I have a problem with bears. I am tasty to them.