Elegant solution for wolf outside Carter Dam (Interloper)

DrZ

As you all probably know there is a wolf that sometimes spawns between the trailers outside Carter Dam. Cutting you off from hauling meat from the Ravine to the Dam or just go exploring or to the lake.

So I was wondering if somebody has an elegant (i.e. few resources spent and high chance of working) solution (i.e. kill) to said wolf. So no flares or melee.

I know the "trick" with the rock on the left where you can crouch up and overlook if the wolf is there. And if you stand up he usually spots you and runs towards you but then he is under you / the rock and you can't shoot. And then runs away which is also very hard to hit...

MyUsualMe had a nice idea with the snow shelter https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bpi9dFGLYzE which is ok on resources (a few cloth and sticks) but seems like a time consuming effort.

I will try a few things since I have that situation right now where I want to bring meat for crafting to the dam. But maybe somebody solved the situation already :)

• Upvote 1

Update, with acceptable results after a few tries: You need a few stones and a bow.

Crouch up the rock on the left and use the stones to lure the wolf towards the Ravine. Position yourself close to the step down to the left. When the wolf comes back you can take a good shot to the head from a 90° angle. If you do not have lvl 5 archery you can even stand up to shoot as you are still in the wolf's blind spot.

@DrZ I know your follow up post came to some similar strategies, but I'd like to add a little on my methods for this area as well. :)

I find that the easiest solution doesn't even necessarily involve killing the wolf at all.

I usually just scout the area first.  Either by heading across the river and looking to spot the wolf wandering around from the other side.  This also means that if we crouch we can approach from that side fairly close without much risk of detection.

Another approach I sometimes use involves utilizing the hilltops nearby to gain a better vantage point.  If there is a wolf prowling around I can usually spot it as it wanders a little further from the trailers.

If those spots don't result in getting eyes on the wolf...  Then I simply crouch about halfway across the Train Bridge, and cautiously approach slowly (keeping towards the fence line).  This way, if I do hear the wolf's footsteps... or it starts to stalk: I can either seek safely beyond the fence, simply back off, or even use the truck as an in between haven.  However a vast majority of the time, I can use this method to slip through the area undetected.

:coffee::fire::coffee:
Generally speaking my methods do require a bit of patience... but I find them effective and don't involve using up any resources (except a little time).  If there is a wolf to spot... I'll simply watch it for a bit, see how far it wanders relative to the place I want to go.  I'll kind of mentally keep track of how long it takes for it make a patrol loop.  Then I can use that to plot a safe passage, even while taking into account for the much slower travel speed of remaining crouched to sort of "stealth" my way past the danger.

[Addendum]
Granted, I'm by no means an expert on Interloper play... but I'd bet that the evade and avoid tactics would still be effective.  :)

Edited by ManicManiac

I almost always use the rock ledge on the left to snipe the wolf so the snow shelter idea is excellent I must say. Just wondering how effective the snow shelter would be to lure MORE wolfs to the party after ridding the first one. If you loaded the meat and got 3 bars of scent. I know there are some wolves near the tracks by the yellow coach car. 

10 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

@DrZ I know your follow up post came to some similar strategies, but I'd like to add a little on my methods for this area as well. :)

I find that the easiest solution doesn't even necessarily involve killing the wolf at all.

I usually just scout the area first.  Either by heading across the river and looking to spot the wolf wandering around from the other side.  This also means that if we crouch we can approach from that side fairly close without much risk of detection.

Another approach I sometimes use involves utilizing the hilltops nearby to gain a better vantage point.  If there is a wolf prowling around I can usually spot it as it wanders a little further from the trailers.

If those spots don't result in getting eyes on the wolf...  Then I simply crouch about halfway across the Train Bridge, and cautiously approach slowly (keeping towards the fence line).  This way, if I do hear the wolf's footsteps... or it starts to stalk: I can either seek safely beyond the fence, simply back off, or even use the truck as an in between haven.  However a vast majority of the time, I can use this method to slip through the area undetected.

Generally speaking my methods do require a bit of patience... but I find them effective and don't involve using up any resources (except a little time).  If there is a wolf to spot... I'll simply watch it for a bit, see how far it wanders relative to the place I want to go.  I'll kind of mentally keep track of how long it takes for it make a patrol loop.  Then I can use that to plot a safe passage, even while taking into account for the much slower travel speed of remaining crouched to sort of "stealth" my way past the danger.

[Addendum]
Granted, I'm by no means an expert on Interloper play... but I'd bet that the evade and avoid tactics would still be effective.  :)

Yeah, I usually avoid the wolf if possible but I asked for the case that you need to get rid of it (e.g. for hauling that moose meat in from the river or some deer from the Ravine). If I want to avoid it I like to use stones. I use a similar approach than you and crouch towards the trailers where I can overlook as much as possible but since I am very impatient I just throw a stone between the trailers. If no wolf shows up shortly after I make a dash for the gate.

5 hours ago, Ahatch said:

I almost always use the rock ledge on the left to snipe the wolf so the snow shelter idea is excellent I must say. Just wondering how effective the snow shelter would be to lure MORE wolfs to the party after ridding the first one. If you loaded the meat and got 3 bars of scent. I know there are some wolves near the tracks by the yellow coach car. 

I also tried sniping but I am too bad with the bow and with the long distance you risk missing or hitting non-lethal and then you have to hunt your arrow...

Not sure if the shelter trick works with a wolf that does not use the gated area for a patrol (if the gate is open).

Fair enough...
(personally I just don't haul meat great distances if I can avoid it at all - better in my mind to cache food where I sourced it for later)

If the main purpose is to haul meat, then I can recommend similar strategies I use when I just need to get a wolf out of my way for a while.
If we keep a little raw gut outside to "ruin" we get to use it later on to draw a wolf a long distance from where it's patrolling.  I've had a lot of luck use thing strategy to lure a wolf farther a way from a kill I kited it to... then ran it off of.  Since the raw ruined gut is then always the first thing that gets prioritized when we use the drop decoy hotkey.

With this, we can use ourselves as bait to lure the wolf away from the area... then drop the ruined gut to sate the wolf.  I've use this tactic to harvest many free Deer on Crystal Lake.

Likewise, if we have a lot of meat in our inventory and we just want some cover... the same thing can apply.  In this case, if we load up on meat to haul... then also grab maybe 3 ruined gut for decoy.  As before, the ruined raw gut will get prioritized to drop first from your inventory when we use the hotkey.  That way we can just walk though the area and every time a wolf pings us we can drop a ruined gut to bribe out way past.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

I usually stand on the ledge/rock on the left, fall off whilst leaning over too far trying to shoot the wolf and land on his back. The wolf has been so affronted by this it has twice now had the effect of scaring him away (I thought a struggle would be inevitable, but it never materialised).

Very limited resources required (I even managed to retrieve the guts I dropped to lure him) but not sure it meets your criteria of 'elegant'. 😂

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MartinSand92 said:

But somehow the wolf tried to glitch himself through the fenced door. I just stood there to see if he could get through and it did. Ouch!😂

Out of curiosity, I recently tried to see what would happen with the timber wolves in the Last Resort Cannery on Pilgrim mode - they can certainly run through walls.

@past caring Really?! Thank you for the heads up! Those damn timberwolves, had to fight a full pack of them with just 10 arrows the other day. Almost died that time!

3 hours ago, past caring said:

Out of curiosity, I recently tried to see what would happen with the timber wolves in the Last Resort Cannery on Pilgrim mode - they can certainly run through walls.

@MartinSand92 - my testing isn't extensive. But if I'm right and it wasn't just a glitch in my game, I suspect it's because it wasn't intended that you'd be at ground level in the Cannery without having first disposed of the timber wolves. I think you're supposed to access the area via the high wire route and - if you decide to dispose of the wolves - do it from that elevated position. And it was also the case that they weren't able to enter those specific rooms where you can shut yourself in and are supposed to find some safety.

But the outbuildings, which have permanently open sides and doors, they certainly were able to come straight through the walls (not that it mattered on Pilgrim, of course, it just looked very odd).