Condition ovehaul

alone sniper

Hi everybody !
First of all I am back 😄  It's always good to be back And I kinda  miss being in forum actually.  😄
So, Hope you guys doing great despite pandemic. Stay safe ☺️
And sorry for bad English by the way 😟

As for topic, I somehow think Items condition can play a major part in gameplay. I'll give you an example. 
So, What if Storm lantern condition was related to its fuel consumption! Just think about it. I think it would be great if storm lantern with for example 20% condition used more fuel and would extinguish rapidly unlike a 80% condition one. It would force player to keep it in the best shape possible by repairing it frequently . 

And,  it was just one item. Just image How great could it be if it was applied on all the items in the game ! e.g.

• There would be a chance that medicine with very low condition e.g. 20% and below won't be effective ! 
  • There would be a chance that pieces of clothe you harvest from curtains and pillow and etc. won't be at 100% condition thus it will effect how much that you could repair your clothes.
  • There would be a chance that you find " half burnt" woods ! e.g. you found a 40% cedar wood near a campfire !  it would keep your fire going by 40% *  1hour = 24 minutes ! 

And many more Examples ! 
So, What do you say? 😄

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, alone sniper said:

What if Storm lantern condition was related to its fuel consumption!

I absolutely love this. It makes so much sense and is so simple and elegant. Afteral, a damaged lantern could leak fuel that means it uses up more, it could also affect how bring its light is! I love this idea!

This is actualy already true for tools like hacksaw - where a low condition hacksaw has a chance to break and forever lock the cargo container from TWMountain. This could apply to a lot more items and tools - for things like crowbars, heavy hammers, hatchets, knives, and so on. 

What if a damaged battery with low condition would just randomly stop shining during Aurora, or it would have a chance to zzap the player because of the current inside, if he uses it during aurora? Giving the burns affliction to a hand.

14 minutes ago, alone sniper said:

There would be a chance that medicine with very low condition e.g. 20% and below won't be effective ! 

eeh, I wouldnt like it personally but it also makes perfect sense and would be a good addition to the game! Would certainly make the game more difficult and that is never a bad thing. Though I would also like to see a way to "store" medicine in a way it wouldnt decrease in condition, and maybe even some "medicine" survival skill which would afffect this chance of less effective medicine, or as a way to harvest the low quality medicine to create a better one!

17 minutes ago, alone sniper said:

There would be a chance that pieces of clothe you harvest from curtains and pillow and etc. won't be at 100% condition thus it will effect how much that you could repair your clothes.

This I am a bit more sceptical about. The thing I like about cloth is that it stacks. It makes it really easy to manage in inventory. If the cloth had its own durability, it would no longer stack which would make it more tedious  to manage within inventory. What if instead, there was a chance to either collect "cloth" or "torn cloth". When "torn cloth" would need to be first stitched together before it could be used for some crafts or for clothing repair.

The ability to harvest cloth or fail and get a torn cloth would depend on survivors mending skill. 

To link it to your first idea - low condition clothes would have a high chance to be harvested into torn cloth, whereas high condition clothes would yield cloth in pristine condition, and in higher amounts. Also, torn cloth could be used to make bandages, but would only yield one bandage, which means it would not be efficient.

43 minutes ago, alone sniper said:

There would be a chance that you find " half burnt" woods ! e.g. you found a 40% cedar wood near a campfire !  it would keep your fire going by 40% *  1hour = 24 minutes ! 

Same issue with the cloth argument. I would not be happy if all firewoods had their own condition because your entire inventory space would be bunch of wood of various condition. That said, I do like the idea of a "burnt firewood" - which could simply just provide half the burn time normal wood would. This is also firewood you could harvest from campfire that was blown out by a wind.

Needless to say, I like these ideas quite a lot! I would simplify some of them for the sake of making the game more convinient, but overal, I love the variety!

I think "condition" on items should be something that affects tools, firestarting tools such as matches and firestarters, medicine and food, but not neccesarily raw materials like cloth, leather or firewood. That said - it is not a bad thing to have some better and worse version of firewood and materials. 

• Upvote 2

Yeah. I already don't like the variable condition matches. I think it would add even more tedium to the game if it were added to wood and other things. Besides, fires in TLD always completely burn everything they touch. Always. How could there be a half burned anything? It wouldn't make sense in the game world.

The storm lantern idea is good though. I have zero issues with that and it would add extra stuff to consider when playing which is a good thing.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, alone sniper said:

What if Storm lantern condition was related to its fuel consumption! Just think about it. I think it would be great if storm lantern with for example 20% condition used more fuel and would extinguish rapidly unlike a 80% condition one. It would force player to keep it in the best shape possible by repairing it frequently . 

I always thaught it was liek that beacause of the gas leak sound we hear when its not repaired.

9 hours ago, alone sniper said:
  • There would be a chance that medicine with very low condition e.g. 20% and below won't be effective ! 
  • There would be a chance that pieces of clothe you harvest from curtains and pillow and etc. won't be at 100% condition thus it will effect how much that you could repair your clothes.
  • There would be a chance that you find " half burnt" woods ! e.g. you found a 40% cedar wood near a campfire !  it would keep your fire going by 40% *  1hour = 24 minutes ! 

I am secondign all of that but for the items like wood and, i guess "wolf ravaged pelts" too would need to be only 40% of its weight (if they are at 40% condition) so it would be a nice add without being that punishing. beacause I would prefer take nothing than a 20% cedar that weight 0.5Kg unless i am forced to do so i norder to survive.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

eeh, I wouldnt like it personally but it also makes perfect sense and would be a good addition to the game! Would certainly make the game more difficult and that is never a bad thing. Though I would also like to see a way to "store" medicine in a way it wouldnt decrease in condition, and maybe even some "medicine" survival skill which would afffect this chance of less effective medicine, or as a way to harvest the low quality medicine to create a better one!

Maybe if we store our medicine in the propper storage (wich is the medicine shelf) its condition would slowly decrease.

This I am a bit more sceptical about. The thing I like about cloth is that it stacks. It makes it really easy to manage in inventory. If the cloth had its own durability, it would no longer stack which would make it more tedious  to manage within inventory. What if instead, there was a chance to either collect "cloth" or "torn cloth". When "torn cloth" would need to be first stitched together before it could be used for some crafts or for clothing repair.

That is true I dont think it is a great idea afteer all that would be complicated. What would you get if you craft bandages with 30% clothes? a 30% effective bandage? that is starting to get complicated.

we could be gettting poor quality cloth though. it would repair 50% less and only give one bandage instead of two

This is also firewood you could harvest from campfire that was blown out by a wind.

I like that idea I second this. you could be sometime able to find burnt wood in lost campfires or fireplaces. It would be like BruntCedar, BurntFir, BurntReclaimedWood it would just be Burnt wood. For the balance it could weight 0.30kg and burn 20 mins like a book.

8 hours ago, alone sniper said:

ruined crowbar will ruined the lock of locked locker permanently. 

I dont think it is necessairy. what use could we have for that?

• Upvote 1

Thanks for replies @oplli 😄

4 hours ago, oplli said:

I dont think it is necessairy. what use could we have for that?

a little misunderstanding happened here . 😃 
I mean, right now if you have low condition prybar and you attempt to open a locked locker, there is a chance that you will ruin both prybar and the lock. And a ruined lock won't open ever.
 Here is a steam discussion link ☺️ 

https://steamcommunity.com/app/305620/discussions/0/343788552528003622/

17 hours ago, alone sniper said:

I mean, right now if you have low condition prybar and you attempt to open a locked locker, there is a chance that you will ruin both prybar and the lock. And a ruined lock won't open ever.

I am not against though i dont know how often it would happen, I always keep my tools as near as possible to 100 except for knife and axe and I dont think i am the only one . maybe a similar mechanic could be aplided to the most used tools like

-axe, knife

-hacksaw, Heavy Hammer

What do you think?

• Upvote 1