The Story of Your First Playthrough?

PurpleWolf13

What was your first playthrough in Survival Mode of The Long Dark like? And I'm meaning your first real try at the game, not like test runs or anything. 

Here's my story (with some pics as well!)

I first played The Long Dark on May 24th, 2020 and started a Survival Mode game in Voyageur difficulty. I chose Mystery Lake as the starting region. Here's the quote I got and the place I spawned.20201014_152752.thumb.jpg.0ffccd0a49091800b547762cbe4a6c37.jpg20201014_152814.thumb.jpg.4be3525a68fe1fc3662443d2eaf71e20.jpg

I explored around and got into the Carter Hydro Dam where I passed my first official day by trying to open the safe (this was when I didn't know how to do these LOL)20201014_152854.thumb.jpg.35e91f975111894ba85d1c13ef8a50d4.jpg

I got to day 3 and my condition got downhill. I was in the Train Loading Area around the passenger car of the train with the door when a wolf came around. Lit a flare and tried to scare it off, and you can see how that went in the pics below. 20201014_152924.thumb.jpg.18628a6adcc2c3dd61c2ad69d8d87252.jpg20201014_152933.thumb.jpg.288d399130790bcc04972c4d9909a1ea.jpg20201014_152955.thumb.jpg.9d58ae1b26739976babf0e32b96265fb.jpg

A rather short story of my first time and playthrough in Survival Mode of The Long Dark! This save file only existed two days, so R.I.P.

• Upvote 1

Unfortunately I don't have any screenshots of my first playthrough but I do have a story for you :3

It was early 2016 and I had watched a few let's plays of the game from one of my favorite YouTubers: Paulsoaresjr. This guy has gotten me into Stardew Valley, Minecraft, Subnautica, Starbound and of course The Long Dark. His sense of humor and his play style have always kept me watching.

I bought the game shortly after he played "The Hunted" Challenge and I was instantly hooked. I started in Mystery Lake at The Trapper's Homestead. I looted the place and decided to go explore and get to know the region. I made it to the tunnel which is now the transition point to Forlorn Muskeg(the region wasn't added yet) By now the snow starts picking up and soon a blizzard hits, I'm lost and have no idea where I'm going or where anything is. I walk down the tracks and I get to the single train car that's by the access road that leads to the logging camp(How I missed the Derailment, I have no clue) Ended up freezing to death in the train car. No big deal, There was a dead guy there with me so I didn't die alone lol :D

This was when I didn't have my PC as I wasn't a PC gamer back then, I just had a cheap laptop that could run the game but the settings were set on medium and the game didn't lag but it wasn't smooth running like I seen on Youtube and I didn't understand why my game wasn't running like that :$

4 years later, I'm still playing the game religiously and it continues to be one of my top favorite games of all time. ^_^

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Guest jeffpeng

Wow that's a long time ago. The first longer game I had was 4 days I think. I remember I got lost at night and ended up stumbling around in what I now know is the region "right" of the dam, "west" of Alan's cave. I eventually froze when my lamp gave in and I didn't find my way out of there. It was astonishingly fascinating, despite being really frustrating. Edit: That was still on my first day of playing the game, I want to add ^^

Edited by jeffpeng

I had an older pc and ran TLD on low res from when I started, somewhere around v.393 Resolute Outfitter - v426 Faithful Cartographer.  Got a curious Pilgrim going and had 400+ game days in what felt like no time at all.  Still, had a few moments, like falling through the ice while already quite tired, and learning about how pilgrim bears will still maul you.

If that doesn't count as a first real try, then I suppose it would be when Custom Settings arrived and I had a harrowing year+ with cold damage and starvation, but eventual survival and newly added regions to explore along the way.   Had bad weather, low resources & passive wildlife, but scarce and with max detection range, so early-mid game was a struggle for food and warmth.  Good way to practice archery though, and learn that the meager warmth and calories from the different teas are sometimes better, or at least more necessary, than their medical uses.

Although not Survival Mode, the Whiteout Challenge was an early favorite for me as well.
You think you're doing fine until the last week....😄🐺🐺🐻🌬️

• Upvote 1

2018 spawned into mystery lake around 8pm mountain time I rember this exactly cause I just got home from scouts and had no more homework to do and because it was snowing since it was December and pitch black out. I bought the game the day before but hadn't been able to try it till now. i spawned in the yard of the dam walked in got lost in the dark dehydrated followed the wall to the outside and then got mauled by a bear barely lived saw the firewatcher outpost and then died near the first lake hut.

in total roughly 25 minutes of suffering

• Like 1