cigarette lighters

Luke Finn

Pull out your cuban cigars and listen closely. This tool is easily susceptible to the wind and chill of the outside and when being able to light would offer many uses as well as accept lantern fuel for refilling. On only the calmest of days and the indoors can support this lighter. If this passes then cigarettes will be the next addition lol. Peace. 

I think he means a zippo style lighter, that burns oil.

Its a problematic idea, because it introduces an easy, near-infinite indoor fire source.

Matches are sooo valued because one day they'll run out, and all that'll be left is the magnifying glass.

I would be happy to see a cigarette lighter added on Pilgrim-Voyager only, or possibly as a $2 DLC called "start with a lighter in your pocket".

7 hours ago, Omnijack said:

possibly as a $2 DLC called "start with a lighter in your pocket".

i am not in favor of dlc's and it is even worse if it is to add ONE item that isnt even available in every gamemodes. Money speaking that would be stupid to do

On 10/11/2020 at 8:48 AM, Omnijack said:

Its a problematic idea, because it introduces an easy, near-infinite indoor fire source.

Matches are sooo valued because one day they'll run out, and all that'll be left is the magnifying glass.

I would be happy to see a cigarette lighter added on Pilgrim-Voyager only, or possibly as a $2 DLC called "start with a lighter in your pocket".

Zippo's and regular cigarette lighters are not infinite use items...their flint runs out.  When I was a pack a day smoker, would take a couple months on a Zippo, much more on a lighter because they have extremely long flints, often a half inch or more on Bics, though the fluid goes out well in advance. As someone who uses flint and steel a few times a year, and keeps empty lighters to harvest the flint out of them for my Zippo or my tackle box, yeah, flint is kind of a bigger luxury  item than some folks realize.

On 10/11/2020 at 9:48 AM, Omnijack said:

On lower difficulties matches are damn near infinite since there's so many. You may theoretically run out but you won't be playing long enough to actually run out. Mag lenses ARE an actual infinite source of fire. A small BIC lighter wouldn't do much harm to game balance. Plus they run out of fuel fairly quickly especially if you use it for light source. So make them quite rare and there ya go.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Fuarian said:

On lower difficulties matches are damn near infinite since there's so many. You may theoretically run out but you won't be playing long enough to actually run out. Mag lenses ARE an actual infinite source of fire. A small BIC lighter wouldn't do much harm to game balance. Plus they run out of fuel fairly quickly especially if you use it for light source. So make them quite rare and there ya go.

Bic lighters for light source... instead of wasting a match everytime you want to see something you could just use your bic lighter. i like that :) !

On 10/11/2020 at 8:48 AM, Omnijack said:

Less than you might think.  Once you get well and truly settled in, matches become kind of irrelevant.  You can afford to wait for sunny days to start your fires.  My current run I've never used a single match or firestriker, and it's approaching day 200 now.  Exclusively mag lens, or if I have a flare lit already to ward off a wolf I'll use that too.  But otherwise it's mag lens, mag lens, mag lens.

It's for that reason I think renewable firestarters are perfectly acceptable.  Maybe not a zippo, but a bow drill or something that fits the theme.  The trade off being it takes longer, or requires a skill of at least 3 to use or something. It would allow us to adopt a more realistic play style by cooking our meals right before we eat them.  As opposed to cooking them weeks in advance and leaving them outside in a pile of snow.  Or cooking up dozens of cups of tea that somehow never spill or evaporate.

• Upvote 1