tapped maple trees?

Bigfatcat999

That would work, but are there maple trees in game besides the saplings? I honestly don’t know so I’m asking you (For goodness’ sake it’s Canada! Who am I kidding of course they got maple trees!). If there is, then I think that’d be a great idea, if not, well, that wouldn’t work out. Also, the maple syrup you get is from inside homes, trailers, etc., in a maple syrup container, leading me to believe they bought the syrup and not actually made it themselves- as in they purchased it from a store, the store having received shipments. So, that has nothing to do with your proposal of maple sap. I guess it’s a 50/50 thing. The good side is you could get an easy food source when in the wilderness. The bad side is this is sort of pointless, but I wouldn’t mind it.

Sap does not flow in the winter.  Maple trees get tapped more in the Spring (according to the wiki).  So there is nothing to tap. 

Also it takes 40 parts maple sap to make 1 part maple syrup (40 gallons of sap to make 1 quart of syrup). So the calorie content that might be derived from somehow extracting the sap from a given maple tree would be small compared to the energy spent in extracting it from the frozen tree. 

So the idea of free food or hydration is probably not practical at least in the way things work in TLD subject, of course, to developer fiat.  

After all, reloading ammunition requires a primer and a proper bullet (not a generic bullet where one size fits both rifle and revolver) but the developers glossed over those little obstacles to game-play.

On 8/24/2020 at 12:45 PM, UTC-10 said:

Also it takes 40 parts maple sap to make 1 part maple syrup (40 gallons of sap to make 1 quart of syrup). So the calorie content that might be derived from somehow extracting the sap from a given maple tree would be small compared to the energy spent in extracting it from the frozen tree. 

Oh, right, I totally glossed over that aspect- whoops! I forgot to appreciate my maple syrup~ 😂

Oops.  40:1 would mean 40 gallons of sap to make 1 gallon of syrup.  My bad but I blame the wiki, yes that's what I'll do. 

Can one imagine boiling down 40 gallons of sap to make 1 gallon of maple syrup?  I think even my massive stores of sticks would not be up to the task.  😅

Tapping maple trees?
No thank you.  I just don't see how that would be all that useful, and it doesn't seem like that would really be any kind of value add (gameplay wise - especially at a 40:1 ratio :D).

:coffee::fire:

On 2/25/2020 at 3:39 AM, ManicManiac said:

With so much work that would need to be done I just don't think "the juice would be worth the squeeze."

Besides, since we do have bottles of maple syrup... I think it's fair to say the maple syrup thing is already covered. :)

Edited by ManicManiac

On 8/26/2020 at 10:22 PM, ManicManiac said:

Tapping maple trees?
No thank you.  I just don't see how that would be all that useful, and it doesn't seem like that would really be any kind of value add (gameplay wise - especially at a 40:1 ratio :D).

Besides, since we do have bottles of maple syrup... I think it's fair to say the maple syrup thing is already covered. :)

it could be a good idea why not. there could be some type of mouthpiece that you push in the tree with a hammer or prybar and then you use a container such as a empty can or cooking pot to get some maple sap wich you could then heat on a fire to make maple syrup and this could give you some hydration and an energy boost that is way weaker than the Emergency Stim but last longer. it would add aa lot more to the game than you think.

i also thaught about another way to harvest tree sap. as far as i know there is two tree in north america that we can get drinkable tree sap with is the maple tree and the birch. apparently the birch sap has some sort of cure aspect that some people drink it for. we could 100% apply that same concept to get some birch sap in the game wich could give you the exact same effect than the birch bark soup in the game but it would be stronger and would give you hydration plus a little bit of food wich is normal beacause it would take more time to harvest than the birch bark tree. 

i also think that we need more ways to get food in the game beacause actually there is only animals and cat tails wich is a one time harvest, this makes the game extremely repeatful beaucause at some point your only objectives in the game are maintain your clothes and other stuff, be shure to always have food water and wood to burn. this new tree harvestable system would provide a new activity to the game to explore and exploit.

Edited by oplli

50 minutes ago, oplli said:

this makes the game extremely repeatful

I understand where you're coming from, however, I don't agree.
I've discussed this before so I'll just echo it again here:

On 9/12/2019 at 1:05 AM, ManicManiac said:

There has been at least one individual who stayed alive for 10 "in-game years."  I think it's fair to say there are plenty enough resources for you to keep your run going for a long long time.

If one player can survive for ten in-game years, then I think there is plenty of variety already.  So, I don't think variety is really an issue.

Also:

On 6/23/2020 at 2:49 AM, ManicManiac said:

Death is the eventuality, no mater what.  Be it because we've given up, or due to tragic circumstances (most often brought on by our own bad decisions).  I really like the idea that once we get proficient with our survival tasks, that it's really up to us to find creative ways to just live in Great Bear on our own terms, and for how long.

...and I don't think we need a bunch of unnecessary items, systems, or extra mechanics shoehorned in to make that fun; we have it right now with the wonderful experience that Hinterland has given us already.  I think adding a bunch of superfluous stuff would likely just cause it to become bloated/watered down; ruining what has made it special.

I love and appreciate this game for what it is.  For me, if it's something that I don't think is necessary or has a distinct gameplay value... then I'm generally not going to be in favor of it.

Edited by ManicManiac

Just now, ManicManiac said:

I understand where you're coming from, however, I don't agree.
I've discussed this before so I'll just echo it again here:

If one player can survive for ten in-game years, then I think there is plenty of variety already.  So, I don't think variety is really an issue.

Also:

...and I don't think we need a bunch of unnecessary items, systems, or extra mechanics shoehorned in to make that fun; we have it right now with the wonderful experience that Hinterland has given us already.  I think adding a bunch of superfluous stuff would likely just cause it to become bloated/watered down; ruining what has made it special.

I love and appreciate this game for what it is.  For me, if it's something that I don't think is necessary or has a distinct gameplay value... then I'm generally not going to be in favor of it.

i do not share you point of view but i understand why you dont want useless things to be added cuz it fit your playstyle. i have 700 hours or gameplay and i feel like i went around the game in depth enough i know myself and i need new stuff to keep me entertained. i love new ideas and i support every good ideas that are comming from the community and the devs beacause a game needs to evolve during the time if it dosent it dies. i am not saying that hinterland is not evolving but i was just explaining my thaughts cuz it more fits my playstyle and i know i am not the only one. i know you are not the only one too to fit your playstyle that is whats difficult when delevopping a game

Edited by oplli

29 minutes ago, oplli said:

i do not share you point of view

Fair enough.  :)

i have 700 hours or gameplay and i feel like i went around the game in depth enough i know myself and i need new stuff to keep me entertained.

This is where we differ.  I have a little over 1400 hours of gameplay, and I have never felt bored.  I'm the kind of player who is perfectly at home in a sandbox.  I make all sorts of challenges for myself, and I always seem to be able to easily find things to do in Great Bear to keep me engaged. :)

you dont want useless things to be added cuz it fit your playstyle

For me, it's not about my playstyle (I'm very willing to adapt how I play to suit whatever Hinterland sees fit to incorporate into their game - When Winter's Embrace came out, I didn't complain... I changed my playstyle to suit the new environment I was playing in :))...

I think, it's more about accepting and appreciating the game for what it is.  I also appreciate that it's not bogged down with a lot of unnecessary things.  To me it has a purity of purpose/identity because of that.

i love new ideas and i support every good ideas that are comming from the community

And so do I (and there are ideas that have been put forth that I do very much support)...
However, the vast majority of ideas put forth are ones that I think would either undermine, dilute, or diminish the quality of the game.

We don't agree, and that's okay.  :)
You and I just seem to have very different perspectives, when it comes to this game.

I mean nothing personal towards anyone, but if I don't agree with an idea... I'm going to weigh in with my point of view.
(I imagine you would too, if you came across an idea that you didn't agree with)

Edited by ManicManiac