Satchel or cloak?

stratvox

I bagged a moose around day 15, and now I'm faced with a dilemma. The cloak has a lot of advantages due to the crappiness of the weather; the extreme water and windproof stats should make travel much easier, but of course another 5 kg will do the same in a different way.

Thoughts?

I don't think there is a single answer for this. My question is what is your limiting factor? Are you being killed by wolves? The cloak is good for protection. If it's the cold that's killing you maybe the cloak could be good for a while if you have nothing better, but if you're always heavy and slow the satchel might be better as you can get from point A to point B more quickly.

So, are you limited by carry weight? Wolf damage? Just the cold? If you figure that out you will have the answer for your particular situation.

• Upvote 1

Carry weight is always an issue. Wolves so far are not being a major problem, and about to become much less so because I just got the bow and can ditch the rifle. I'm thinking more about the wind chill and waterproof factor; moose cloak is best item at both those things, and wind chill is cutting short my outside trips much more than actual temperature; I'm on day 17 or 18 and windchills are often up into the fifteen to twenty range now.

Still thinking on it. I get to make a decision today; I'll let you know which way I went after I finish putting together the fsckin' webgpu docker image or five pm, whichever happens first.

I would likely go with the purse too. Moving faster means less time spent outside which is the same as having warmer clothing, in terms of distance you can travel. Plus the purse will still be good after you find better clothing.

I'll craft the satchel first, any additional moose hides I get will be for the cloak even if I'm not going to wear it.

Also honestly if you can hit around 10°C for windchill, you're more or less good to go. Anything more is a bonus but not really necessary as you'll still feel cold from windchill anyway on windy days with -20°C. Instead you can use terrain to plan your travel routes - instead of walking in the open, use hills and cliff sides to get you shielded from the wind.

Edited by gotmilkanot

Carry weight is always an issue. Wolves so far are not being a major problem, and about to become much less so because I just got the bow and can ditch the rifle. I'm thinking more about the wind chill and waterproof factor; moose cloak is best item at both those things, and wind chill is cutting short my outside trips much more than actual temperature; I'm on day 17 or 18 and windchills are often up into the fifteen to twenty range now.

Still thinking on it. I get to make a decision today; I'll let you know which way I went after I finish putting together the fsckin' webgpu docker image or five pm, whichever happens first.

(later) well, I went with the satchel. I'm now up at Mountaineer's, and just getting myself set up (wood, water, fish) before I make a run for the summit to see what I can get. Hoping to get another moose soon so I can make the cloak; the weather up here plays to its strengths (wind chill, waterproofing). That said, having the satchel let me bring a lot more stuff here from CH than I would've been able to otherwise. So long as I don't do something dumb I should be okay; big challenge right now is getting enough wood in to make it through the nights. Definitely getting a lot of blizzard action up here....

Guest jeffpeng

Satchel any day of the week, honestly. I'm a big fan of the cloak in general, yes, but 5 kg more carry cap will speed you up so much it's hard to justify going the cloak before you have the satchel, really. Especially if you know your usual suspects well and have a weapon already.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Satchel first.  I noticed no one commented on the repair of the satchel vs. the cloak.  

The satchel can be repaired with simple cured leather, it doesn’t require another moose hide.

That feature is worth its weight in…. Well, in moose hide. Or is it cured leather??

• Upvote 1