Steam Achivements

atomic

Just stumbled over this one on Steam:

The global gameplay stats say that only 51% got "first of many" which is to survive 1 day in survival mode, just 20,2% survived 10 days, only 6,3% survived 50 days and only 2,9% did 100 days.

On the other hand in story mode only 50,3% escaped the ravine after the crash and only 37,2% made it to Milton.

How do you interprete these stats? 50% of the people buy this wonderful game and give up before making it through the first in game day? Seems pretty weird to me...

I'd be curious to know what the baseline is. Everyone who owns the game? Has installed it? Has actually booted the game up once?

Many people buy games during sales but never get around to playing them. Heck that is half my steam library. Lol.

Your percents make me think only half of people who have the game, have played it AT ALL. Sounds about right. Lol.

Edited by Sherri

The interesting part is the 30% difference between the day 1 achievement and the day 10. That sounds to me like 30% played Survival & did *not* enjoy it. Cause if you like it, you for sure are going to reach 10 days right?

Edited by Sherri

1 hour ago, atomic said:

How do you interprete these stats?

I'd say a lot of people bought the game but didn't really play it (or at least not very much).  :D
Or they just couldn't manage to get over the initial learning curve... and gave up. 

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac

I mostly want to play the story but I have yet to put much time into it. I checked it out initially but now I am waiting for it to be finished before I go through it. I would be in the group of people who "gave up" but really I am just waiting.

edit---------

Also can you disable achievements on steam? If I were playing on steam and achievement garbage started popping up on my screen you can bet I would be looking to turn that annoying trash off. That might also explain some of it.

Edited by odizzido

I think a lot of folks got the game early during early development and just never played it.  I personally gifted both of my nephews the game on Steam and only one of them even gave it a go and he gave up playing with in hours saying it was too hard and boring...  I got my copy in August of 2015 and I can honestly say that I was just waiting til  Fallout 4 released, I didn't play TLD for almost 6 months after that.  There's probably more to it as well, I'm not sure that Steam stats are all that accurate either.

On 6/25/2020 at 2:34 AM, ManicManiac said:

I'd say a lot of people bought the game but didn't really play it (or at least not very much).  :D

As funny as this sounds, but I guess that could be it, indeed. The Long Dark is very often available on sale (right now again just for 6,24 EUR, 75% down). Some people, who are probably interested in survival games in general, buy it because it's on sale for this ridiculous price. But in the end they have actually no time to play it...

Happens to me too. After work, sleep and family time theres not much time left for gaming anymore 🤣

On 6/25/2020 at 4:03 AM, odizzido said:

Also can you disable achievements on steam?

I've not found this option on steam. Googled it and only found that it is not possible... But it's actually just a very small icon that pops up on the down right corner, I barely see it long enough to realise what it acutally was sometimes.

Well I don't need to deal with them either way, but I have played some games where heaps of popups for achievements flash all over the screen and all I can think of is get that garbage off the screen, I can't see properly. I really do dislike it quite a lot.