Sleeping Bear

dustinmico

I shot a sleeping bear in his den and he ran off.. so I thought... okay he's going to die eventually. Well the weather quickly turned bad after shooting him so I didn't have the time to track him down.. so I hightailed it back to the garage which was a journey from my location. I went back the following day to track this bear down and returned to the scene to find another bear sleeping in the den.. or so I thought. It was the same bear. I hit him the first time.. the day before... hit him a second time.... the next day..... and missed the third time...... which almost cost me my life. Lesson learned. That's what I love about this game. Learning to survive.

6 hours ago, dustinmico said:

Came upon a sleeping bear in Coastal Highway.. had never seen this before. Couldn't even kill it though.. almost died after missing my second shot. Very cool though.

ah, you gotta watch out for those cunning black bears! He lulled you into a falls sense of security using the ole "sleeping bear trick."  You'd think that old trick wouldn't work so well anymore but it does.  The first time it happened to me, I was in Desolation Point being harassed by the wolf that patrols the checkpoint turnstile leading to the processing plant.  I ran by as fast as I could and having run out of stamina, I quickly ducked into the cave and was stopped dead in my tracks.  There he was, the biggest bear I'd ever seen in game.  I swear I could hear him snoring...  The bear didn't move and neither did I. 
I stared at his sleeping form and as I regained my stamina I crouched and slowly retreated back out of the cave.  I retreated to the nearby car and relative safety.  At this point I figured I could just shoot him from car but I no longer could see him from that vantage.  So I crept back up as far as I could, which was pretty darn close and while he still slept drew my bow and shot him!  I turned and sprinted towards the safety of that abandoned car, only to be savagely mauled just outside the door.  As I sought refugee in the car, I realized I had no bandages...   

• Like 2

Yeah.. pretty cool sight to see... if you get close enough you can hear him breathing and even see his middle section moving in and out to show that in fact this bear is alive and breathing.... weigh your risk/reward carefully..... it could mean the end of you. Thank God I had full condition and bandages and antiseptic. It was a heart pounding journey home which was a long way off. Any other encounter with wildlife would've been the end of me for sure.

28 minutes ago, Sherri said:

Can't you just headshot a sleeping bear? Doesn't that work?

you could try...  
you'd think that a close up point blank head shot would do the trick, right?  I don't know how many times I took a near point blank head shot on a bear and still got mauled.  

Lately in CH there is a regular bear delivery service at the garage. No need to look for bears. Every week one just walks into the garage yard. Because you can crouch-attack (level 5 bow) and duck into a car, two or three shots safely get that meat.

• Upvote 2

On 6/27/2020 at 5:37 AM, dahemac said:

Lately in CH there is a regular bear delivery service at the garage. No need to look for bears. Every week one just walks into the garage yard. Because you can crouch-attack (level 5 bow) and duck into a car, two or three shots safely get that meat.

I can eat bear meat on Stalker due to parasites.  but hey, the hid isnt too bad.

5 hours ago, SirSharper said:

I can eat bear meat on Stalker due to parasites.  but hey, the hid isnt too bad.

So, eventually you build a wall of bear quarters around the garage? I think parasites go away at level 5 cooking. Is this not so in Stalker?

10 hours ago, dahemac said:

So, eventually you build a wall of bear quarters around the garage? I think parasites go away at level 5 cooking. Is this not so in Stalker?

Oh, im not quite at level 5 cooking yet.  I'll have to check this out. 

• Like 1