Pufuletul_19

Moose spawn locatios

Recommended Posts

Hello everybody, I want to know where can I get the most moose in mystery lake, please :)

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Pufuletul_19 said:

Hello everybody, I want to know where can I get the most moose in mystery lake, please :)

 

 

Yeah, me too.  I only ever seem to find him on occasion just outside of Trappers cabin.  never seen him anywhere else near those rubs around mystery Lake.  I'm also having no luck on Coastal Highway as well.  Saw a moose one outside the gas station but that was the one and only time.

Edited by piddy3825
spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, piddy3825 said:

Yeah, me too.  I only ever seem to find him on occasion just outside of Trappers cabin.  never seen him anywhere else near those rubs around mystery Lake.  I'm also having no luck on Coastal Highway as well.  Saw a moose one outside the gas station but that was the one and only time.

Okay thanks they might been very rare then....thanks again

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

possibility of spawn by trailers near dam, and near cabin past unnamed pond (but as with all big game, only a chance of spawn in any given area on each run).  Plus, can take a while for moose to show even if they have spawned in a given location.  Find the bark rubs, kill a deer, grab some books and settle down for a week or so, you'll get it in the end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ahh the Moose, such an elusive creature(aka a pain in the ass :D

In my experience, Moose will be in one area for a little bit then just disappear without a trace. I have even seen rubbed trees but no moose in the area which is really annoying. In Mystery Lake I have seen them by the Trappers Homestead, the river by the dam and over by the cabin on the other side of The Unnamed Pond(Over the Hill but rarely found there in my own experience)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Pufuletul_19 said:

Hello everybody, I want to know where can I get the most moose in mystery lake, please :)

 

 

...I should have mentioned earlier that if your willing to travel all the way to the broken railroad map, there's almost always a moose just outside the rail road maintenance yard.   just an fyi...  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/21/2020 at 3:10 AM, piddy3825 said:

...I should have mentioned earlier that if your willing to travel all the way to the broken railroad map, there's almost always a moose just outside the rail road maintenance yard.   just an fyi...  

I remember, but for now I want to stay a bit more in mistery lake (recommend me if it's better to move)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/21/2020 at 1:47 AM, PrincessAutumn said:

Ahh the Moose, such an elusive creature(aka a pain in the ass :D

In my experience, Moose will be in one area for a little bit then just disappear without a trace. I have even seen rubbed trees but no moose in the area which is really annoying. In Mystery Lake I have seen them by the Trappers Homestead, the river by the dam and over by the cabin on the other side of The Unnamed Pond(Over the Hill but rarely found there in my own experience)

Thanks, I have a lot of rubbed trees as well but no moose 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh ok :) thanks, I'll kepp that in mind (btw I found a food shelter on the mountain near the climbing rope, is it the only one in the Mystery lake in my run?)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/21/2020 at 3:10 AM, piddy3825 said:

...I should have mentioned earlier that if your willing to travel all the way to the broken railroad map, there's almost always a moose just outside the rail road maintenance yard.   just an fyi...  

An update, I reached broken railroad, I'm at maintenance yard, any suggestions?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pufuletul_19 said:

An update, I reached broken railroad, I'm at maintenance yard, any suggestions?

 

If you leave the maint yard thru the opening in the fence and turn right,  slowly following the the fence line, you should hear some crows just a little off in the distance fluttering over a deer carcass.  Near there is a fallen tree that makes a for a good elevated perch and there's also a moose that likes to roam in that general vicinity.  you can clamber up that tree and from that position are out of reach of the moose!  There's also a bear that wanders around the fence line back there so be careful.  I often climb up on the pipe that leads from the back door of the maint. shed to the opening in the fence, making that elevated vantage a good place to pop that bear, too.  
Be wary of the roaming wolf pack that patrols the frozen lake, you'll find a hunters blind down there offering some potential cover if needed.  The hunting lodge isn't too far away and there's a moose that spawns up there as well so you are pretty close to bagging one of those bigguns!  good luck with hunting!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm about 150 days in... explored all the beginner & intermediate regions.... and have not spotted a single moose.

I want that satchel SO bad!!

😥

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sherri said:

I'm about 150 days in... explored all the beginner & intermediate regions.... and have not spotted a single moose.

I want that satchel SO bad!!

😥

wow....150 dayyyys, GG, my best is curently 56 but bro....150 days and no moose? WTF :)))

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

@Pufuletul_19, @PrincessAutumn, and anyone else who's interested...

Hopefully this will be helpful:

On 2/9/2020 at 1:18 AM, ManicManiac said:

I don't claim to know definitively... but the following is what I've personally observed (or what has been posted by Hinterland) about the moose behavior:

There are various possible moose spawning points.  At the beginning of a survival sandbox, spawn points are pseudo-randomly selected from amongst the pool of possible spawn points.  Only one moose will spawn at a time, and that one moose will "migrate" between all the spawn points that were selected at the beginning of the run.  The longest I've seen the moose stay in one location has been 4 game days.  By this I mean, that the moose will change locations at some interval between 1 and 4 game days - though this duration may have changed in more recent updates, and it's also possible that a longer stay in one location may in truth result from the same location being selected for consecutive intervals.  Once successfully hunted, then the population respawn interval for the moose (at the selected difficulty) must pass before the migration process will begin again.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

[Addendum]

On 6/7/2020 at 7:07 PM, ManicManiac said:

Those selected possible spawn points manifest as the scrapped trees.  These indicate an active possible spawn location for a moose.  Very similar to how bones in at the mouth of a cave (or other locations on some rare occasions - like the Low Blind) indicate an active bear spawn location.

Just like the "bear den," scrapped trees will always stay scrapped for the duration of each particular run, in much the same way that the bones indicating a bear den will be there whether a bear is there or not.

 

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/23/2020 at 5:18 PM, piddy3825 said:

If you leave the maint yard thru the opening in the fence and turn right,  slowly following the the fence line, you should hear some crows just a little off in the distance fluttering over a deer carcass.  Near there is a fallen tree that makes a for a good elevated perch and there's also a moose that likes to roam in that general vicinity.  you can clamber up that tree and from that position are out of reach of the moose!  There's also a bear that wanders around the fence line back there so be careful.  I often climb up on the pipe that leads from the back door of the maint. shed to the opening in the fence, making that elevated vantage a good place to pop that bear, too.  
Be wary of the roaming wolf pack that patrols the frozen lake, you'll find a hunters blind down there offering some potential cover if needed.  The hunting lodge isn't too far away and there's a moose that spawns up there as well so you are pretty close to bagging one of those bigguns!  good luck with hunting!

thanks man I appreciate it! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

There are various possible moose spawning points.  At the beginning of a survival sandbox, spawn points are pseudo-randomly selected from amongst the pool of possible spawn points.  Only one moose will spawn at a time, and that one moose will "migrate" between all the spawn points that were selected at the beginning of the run.  The longest I've seen the moose stay in one location has been 4 game days.  By this I mean, that the moose will change locations at some interval between 1 and 4 game days - though this duration may have changed in more recent updates, and it's also possible that a longer stay in one location may in truth result from the same location being selected for consecutive intervals.  Once successfully hunted, then the population respawn interval for the moose (at the selected difficulty) must pass before the migration process will begin again.

Huh. I did not know this, that is very interesting, I will keep that in mind and my eyes open. Thank you! :x

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only one moose spawns.... for the entire island, or per region??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Sherri said:

Only one moose spawns.... for the entire island, or per region??

From my observations and from what Hinterland has posted about it in the past:
Only one Moose spawns on the island at a time, and then it "migrates" between any of the potential spawn points chosen at the beginning of the run.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ManicManiac said:

From my observations and from what Hinterland has posted about it in the past:
Only one Moose spawns on the island at a time, and then it "migrates" between any of the potential spawn points chosen at the beginning of the run.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

ok, you seem to be well versed in the spawning and migration mechanics of the moose.   Can you elaborate on how many spawn locations there are on the entire map, per region?  Does the moose migrate between spawn points in the region it is in, or does each migration take it to another region?   So riddle me this, how many days in game then does it take for the moose to make a complete loop of the entire island?  If what you say is accurate, (and I'm not doubting that it isn't) then we should be able to figure out how many in game days it takes for the moose to circuit the entire island.  From that perspective, I should be able to camp out in a "popular"  location and the moose may show up there sooner or later and hang out for 4 days before moving on?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

@piddy3825

I'd have to go back though each region and count all of the possible locations, but yes... if given a little time I could list all the possible locations for scrapped trees to appear (I just don't have that list off the top of my head).

To elaborate on what I've mentioned previously.  The one moose will "migrate" pseudorandomly between any one of the selected spawn points (that is where you find scrapped trees or the bridge in Desolation Point - note worthly as being a spot I've seen the moose spawn but there was a distinct absence of scrapped trees in the area).

Sometimes the moose may appear at the same spot for consecutive intervals.  In general: The longest I've seen the moose stay in one location has been 4 game days.  By this I mean, that the moose will change locations at some interval between 1 and 4 game days - though this duration may have changed in more recent updates, and it's also possible that a longer stay in one location may in truth result from the same location being selected for consecutive intervals. 


:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

From that perspective, I should be able to camp out in a "popular"  location and the moose may show up there sooner or later and hang out for 4 days before moving on? 

Okay, the problem with this theory is that the moose migrates pseudorandomly.    *(I say pseudorandomly because a computer can't really generate "truly" random numbers)

What I mean is:

Let's just say in one particular run you end up with... say 12 spawn points.
The moose doesn't just cycle through them in order.

(lets just use number designations to make this example easier)

So for example: the moose starts the game at spawn#7.  It will then seemingly migrate to another spot at intervals between at least 1-4 days (this duration is anecdotal from my observations about the moose behavior, the actual interval could be shorter... seeing the moose in a spot for 4 days may have been a case where it rolled the same spawn location two intervals in a row  - I have no way to know for sure since I can't look at the source code).  So let's continue and say in this case it starts at spawn#7, then migrates to spawn#12, then spawn#9, then spawn#7, then spawn#4, and spawn#4 again... and so on and so on.

So... there is no guarantee that the moose will ever be at a particular spawn point... there is only the chance that it will.  Because the migration is pseudorandomly selected, then generally speaking every possible spawn point has an equal chance of being selected each time the "dwell time interval" expires rolls a check.  :)


:coffee::fire::coffee:
I hope that's helpful.  I don't know any better way to try and explain it.  :)

Edited by ManicManiac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:


:coffee::fire::coffee:
I hope that's helpful.  I don't know any better way to try and explain it.  :)

No worries.  you have been very informative, indeed.  So many other things seem predictable in this game, I guess I was just hoping that a pattern could be established.  I've even launched custom games where I increased all the moose settings in an attempt to increase the number of sightings only to be disappointed in the obvious lack of moose sightings.  However, your recent explanation does support my own observations.  so one more question if I may,   is there any particular spawn location that is more often populated than naught?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

@piddy3825

So far that I've seen, no... just the one moose that wanders from place to place.  However in this run so far (222 days an counting) I've hunted 2 moose and spotted a total of 4.  Just good luck I guess.

If you are just on the lookout of for a satchel, there is one out there in the wilderness you can find already fabricated (no moose hunt required :D)

There has been talk of Bleak Inlet having a moose that spawns uniquely there (separate from the one that roams across Great Bear Island), however... I can't vouch for that myself.  It could be true, could be unsubstantiated rumor, I don't know.


:coffee::fire::coffee:
If you just need food, then I'd say bears would be the better bet (since it's possible have up to three dens in each major region).  If you are looking for Moose Pelt in particular... then I'll just wish you happy hunting.  There is no way I know of that guarantees a player will find a moose when they want one.

Edited by ManicManiac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@ManicManiac,

nope, just looking to hang a moose hide from the wall of my base camp.  and I am getting hungry for something else besides the usual fare of bear meat, wolf and venison.  
I've managed to harvested two moose in my current walk through and have retrieved the satchel in HRV.  I've fabricated my moose cloak and satchel and have long since eaten the meat from those two and only kills.  given the moose migration and spawn mechanics as you've explained them, If moose meat were the only option to long term survival, I'd have been dead long time ago, lol!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now