Humming and song

Lumi

I recently watched a review for The Long Dark, which was nice and all, but one suggestion they had was something to break up the monotony of long trips through the snow, and his suggestion was to have the character hum, or whistle, or sing a song to themselves while they walked.

I personally think that's a fantastic idea. I'm somewhere in the middle on the "dislike of spending ages romping through snow" spectrum, I think. I can quite happily take in the sights while I travel Great bear, but on the other hand I recently almost died my trying to save time and mountain goating off a cliff.

Think about it though, your character would hum a lonely tune while they walked along. It would fit the isolated theme, be a really cool feature (like in rdr2, where your character hums) and could be potentially be dynamic, i.e their humming becomes more off-key, raspy and broken as they deteriorate and fade into the long dark, and of course would immediately stop if they're near and see animals, as not to alert any prey/threats. I think it'd be a really cool way to fill in the long hauls roving.

I also think it should be really, really optional. As in, toggle-able in the options menu at any time just like sountrack music.

What do you think? 

2 hours ago, Lumi said:

one suggestion they had was something to break up the monotony of long trips through the snow, and his suggestion was to have the character hum, or whistle, or sing a song to themselves while they walked.

I think it would be better if the player just hummed or whistled to themselves. :D  I don't see a need for our survivor to make more unnecessary noise.  If anything, I think it would just be a bit annoying.

:coffee::fire:

Edited by ManicManiac

I'm pretty sure there would be some really annoying bugs with it, such as humming while being mauled by a bear or singing away on loading screens. But still, it's a nice idea. There was a recent interview with some adventurer (his name escapes me at the moment) who said that he usually ends up singing and humming once he's all alone in the woods. If it was to be introduced in the game I would prefer if it was quite rare and made sense in a narrative sense. For example, slaying a deer after +24 hours of starvation would make the survivor hum something cheerful at times. 

10 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

I think it would be better if the player just hummed or whistled to themselves. :D  I don't see a need for our survivor to make more unnecessary noise.  If anything, I think it would just be a bit annoying.

:coffee::fire:

That's where the "able to toggle on/off at literally any time" part comes in ^^ but yes, perhaps I should just start humming to myself, haha. Our character certainly isn't mute (unless you play that way :P) and like I said, I think it fits the lonely theme of the game.

8 hours ago, manolitode said:

I'm pretty sure there would be some really annoying bugs with it, such as humming while being mauled by a bear or singing away on loading screens. But still, it's a nice idea. There was a recent interview with some adventurer (his name escapes me at the moment) who said that he usually ends up singing and humming once he's all alone in the woods. If it was to be introduced in the game I would prefer if it was quite rare and made sense in a narrative sense. For example, slaying a deer after +24 hours of starvation would make the survivor hum something cheerful at times. 

I see your point. Though the person who recommended it clearly wanted it to be common enough to break up long hauls and romps through the snow, having it as a rare and somewhat narrative thing could be cool. Personally, I think it'd be best as a common thing, but your idea could work too.

7 hours ago, odizzido said:

As long as it's optional I am all for them adding it in and trying it out. And singing while a bear mauls you must be an optional setting too. I will enable it.

That's the spirit! (;P) 

Anyway, thanks to all of you for your responses. Have a good one!

14 hours ago, Lumi said:

I also think it should be really, really optional.

Fair enough.  I didn't take that part into account.  So... I will make a slight addendum to my last statement:

:coffee::fire::coffee:
I wouldn't have objections to a suggested feature that I can opt out of, if I don't like it.  :)

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

Fair enough.  I didn't take that part into account.  So... I will make a slight addendum to my last statement:

:coffee::fire::coffee:
I wouldn't have objections to a suggested feature that I can opt out of, if I don't like it.  :)

Absolutely. With how common it'd be in comparison to "Ouch! That smarts!" I honestly wouldn't want it if it wasn't toggle-able to the extent of being another slide/checkbox in the audio menu.