Lighters?

JackTrysGames

On 7/12/2020 at 10:43 PM, ManicManiac said:

More resources yes... but the use of it is easier, that's the trade off.
Yes, Bow-drill would require slightly more resources (basically a couple of extra piece of wood and some cordage).
But the Hand-drill would reasonably require more effort/skill/energy to use (as I mentioned on my last post).

Right... I think using just a stick and piece of cedar would make more sense than going thought all the other more complex steps of creating a bow-drill. :D
It seems we are making the same case here.  It's a more advanced tool (comparatively)... slightly more complex to make and does require a little bit more knowledge, but the tool itself is easier to use (which is part of why I don't like it for this game).

Saplings are renewable... you just have to find them while beachcombing. :)  So while not guaranteed to be found when wanted; they are technically renewable in this way.

:coffee::fire:
Look, it's just an opinion.  I think the hand-drill would just be a better fit for this game.

Absolutely. Sorry if it came off as harsh, I get it's your opinion, I was just trying to give mine ^^

Anyway, you mention how "just a stick and piece of cedar would make more sense", but you also stated how it would indeed make sense for lighters to exist, but you wouldn't want it there for balance. I'm making the same case for a bow drill. 

Perhaps you play on interloper or other game modes and so your outlook is different from mine here. I personally think less strain when lighting a fire is made up for by the strain of hunting, chopping, curing, crafting and having it be more resource intensive as opposed to physically intensive would, in my opinion, make it more challenging to use a bow drill. That's my outlook from voyageur.

I agree with your sentiment of not making things downright easier, so I think we're just at odds with what would be more challenging and balance a friction-fire better. So that's my take on it ^^

@Lumi

Not to worry.  I didn't take it any particular way, nor did I think you were harsh at all.
I was just trying to reiterate that I was just elaborating on an opinion of mine, and that I wasn't trying to be dictatorial in anyway.

:coffee::fire::coffee:
I do appreciate your take on the idea.  :)
I really do enjoy the exchange of ideas and opinions... I wasn't trying to stifle yours.
So if it came off poorly, I didn't mean for it to.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

i would love to see a lighter, and have wondered where i would have been in a game that was going south if i had had one as a light source or starter. i personally would feel they would not be overpowered. there would be many things that would cause them to need to be used sparingly. i feel only a Zippo would work though, as its a windproof lighter.

1. Butane in a Zippo evaporates slowly. simply make it take 20-30 days for it to fully evaporate before it needs to be filled back up
2. its either save the lighter fluid for starting fires in a pinch, or use half the can to fill a zippo, and have it evaporate.
3. if used as a light source, and a fire starter, it will go out quickly.
4. accelerate already is a slightly rare item (ok, not rare, but it doesn't spawn everywhere), so you would already have to search for fluid for the zippo if you run out
5. it would be a rare item that would only be found in certain places.
6. it can also be handled like how ammunition is mad, it needs multiple things. with a Zippo lighter, and other types, after awhile, the wick and flint rod need replacing. make it so that when the zippo decreases in quality, at 15%, it may only light half the time, meaning you would need to go to places like Carter dam, a gas station, or other industrial or commercial store places to find repair items like a wick and flint rod.