Lighters?

JackTrysGames

You can find lighter fluid around in the form of Accelerants, so why not Lighters?

You could find them on porches, in cars, occasionally in houses, and largely in commercial areas such as the Orca Gas Station.

The design would be a standard Zippo (or maybe Bic) lighter with the Hinterland logo on it.

You could use it to start fires, or as a poor quality light.

You could also use it with the spray cans to produce a "special" effect...

• Upvote 7
  • Like 3

Yeah I like this idea alot! Very realistic!
But there would have to be certain balance issues worked out no doubt. You'd have to reduce matches, they would have to be more rare, start with a certain amount of fuel, maybe they should only light at a certain temperature, and if they get wet they won't work at all until they dry. It can work! It would definitely add a new layer of strategy and realism so this is something that needs to be done. 100% agree.

• Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...

Lighters?  No, thank you...

Considering all the ways we can get fire in this game already (and how easy it is to achieve)...  I think lighters are unnecessary and I feel like it would be just a player convenience (which I'm generally against anything that I think just serves to make life easier for the player).

This has been mentioned many times in the past, I figured I would just echo what I've said before:

On 7/24/2019 at 8:05 PM, ManicManiac said:

a long time ago I had refillable "zippo" style lighters on some of my wish list posts...

However, the reason I no longer have this item on anymore of my wish lists, is that: given the resources and systems already in place... it's just not really necessary because of the options we have and the availability of those resources.

:coffee::fire:
I don't think we need any more ignition sources.
I think we have what we need already. :)
I don't think lighters would add anything to the game except a "player convenience" (which as I mentioned before, I am not in favor of).

Edited by ManicManiac

I've been in favour of lighters before and I still am. Not because it offers any great bonuses or major gameplay greatness, but because it'd make sense that it is something people would leave behind. 

It's the same thing for me as alcohol and cigarettes - there might not be any great buffs, but it'd make sense that they were there - because humans.

I would disagree with lighters, however a natural way to fire starting may be a better idea to stick with Long Dark's style. Currently no such thing exists in-game, apart from magnifying glasses, however they do not work indoors so. After running out of matches etc, starting a fire via flint & steel or bushcraft methods such as a Bow Drill might be good?

I know folks tend to go back to the bow-drill, and that's neat... but I think a hand drill would a much better a better fit.  (though considering all the ways we have to make fire already, I still don't think that's really necessary; though do I think a hand drill would be the best of the alternative ideas for more fire-starting techniques)

On 7/24/2019 at 3:25 AM, ManicManiac said:

One thing that I (and others) have suggested in our wish list threads in the past has been friction fire.  Many people get caught up on the "bow-drill," probably because it's more familiar... but I think the "hand-drill" would be better since it's simple (and the crafting recipe could conceivably be just a stick and a piece of cedar - because these are already in the game).   ***for the sake of balance... I have also recommended that this ability would be unlocked once the player's fire starting skill rose to a more advanced level... like Level 5. ***

handdrilllrg.jpg.77adc4f754bbd1e2c8d56be658e0ca03.jpg

On 11/2/2018 at 8:23 PM, ManicManiac said:

...Perhaps be able to use a stick/cat tail stalk and a piece of cedar as a hand drill for making a friction fire...

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Like 1

On 7/9/2020 at 4:35 PM, ManicManiac said:

I know folks tend to go back to the bow-drill, and that's neat... but I think a hand drill would a much better a better fit.  (though considering all the ways we have to make fire already, I still don't think that's really necessary; though do I think a hand drill would be the best of the alternative ideas for more fire-starting techniques)

I like the idea of makin it possible at level 5 only but i whould prefer to ve able to light a fire fith the bowdrill.

You would need a cedar plank or something with a drill wich we could craft from maple of birch saplings and a bow (not a special bow for the fire, you could use your real bow the same you use to hunt etc.

From my perspective it is a harder way to light your fire cuz it requires a bow. I would also like to not being able to light a bowdrill fire without tinder even after level 3 of fire skill beacause it is simply not possible to light a friction fire without any tinder and it is worse in winter.

13 hours ago, oplli said:

From my perspective it is a harder way to light your fire cuz it requires a bow.

I think objectively speaking, the bow drill is easier (that's why it was invented)... because the mechanical action of the bow is faster/more efficient than the manual action of it's predecessor, the hand drill.  Since I generally don't like the idea of things that make life easier for the play... this is why I prefer the hand drill (requires more effort/skill/energy than the bow drill would). 

Edited by ManicManiac

13 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

I think objectively speaking, the bow drill is easier (that's why it was invented)... because the mechanical action of the bow is faster/more efficient than the manual action of it's predecessor, the hand drill.  Since I generally don't like the idea of things that make life easier for the play... this is why I prefer the hand drill (requires more effort/skill/energy than the bow drill would). 

But the bow drill would require more resources to make, wouldn't it? A stick and a piece of cedar is really cheap and easy to obtain, VS curing guts, maybe even using saplings, etc. and makes more sense in a survival situation (of course the saplings maybe wouldn't make sense as this is designed to be after running out of other options, and saplings aren't renewable, but still.)

Besides that, I agree any sort of primitive friction fire should require a high firestarting level, maybe 4 and not 5, but either would be fine in my opinion.

On 5/22/2020 at 3:51 AM, peteloud said:

Such lighters could be sold as merchandise, except that I wouldn't like to see HTL encouraging smoking.

Other fire-lighting devices would have to be reduced to keep the balance of the game's challenges.

I personally find the merchandise point to be strange, and if it was added they probably wouldn't make it merchandise for that exact reason. 

6 hours ago, Lumi said:

But the bow drill would require more resources to make

More resources yes... but the use of it is easier, that's the trade off.
Yes, Bow-drill would require slightly more resources (basically a couple of extra piece of wood and some cordage).
But the Hand-drill would reasonably require more effort/skill/energy to use (as I mentioned on my last post).

6 hours ago, Lumi said:

A stick and a piece of cedar is really cheap and easy to obtain, VS curing guts, maybe even using saplings, etc. and makes more sense in a survival situation

Right... I think using just a stick and piece of cedar would make more sense than going thought all the other more complex steps of creating a bow-drill. :D
It seems we are making the same case here.  It's a more advanced tool (comparatively)... slightly more complex to make and does require a little bit more knowledge, but the tool itself is easier to use (which is part of why I don't like it for this game).

6 hours ago, Lumi said:

of course the saplings maybe wouldn't make sense as this is designed to be after running out of other options, and saplings aren't renewable

Saplings are renewable... you just have to find them while beachcombing. :)  So while not guaranteed to be found when wanted; they are technically renewable in this way.

Look, it's just an opinion.  I think the hand-drill would just be a better fit for this game.

Edited by ManicManiac