read while cooking

thedeerhunter

21 minutes ago, thedeerhunter said:

While cooking, we currently have option to Wait Until Ready. Could you also add a Read Until Ready if we have a book? Thanks!

you can do that already...  after you put your food on the fire or stove, just open your inventory and select the book you want to read.  don't exceed hour to read.   You will have to make sure that the items you are cooking have sufficient amount of time before burning up to a crisp.  Not so much a problem when you first start out, but as your cooking skills increase the actual cook times get less.  With water it's a lot different, especially when using the two liter pots.  You can generally select two hours of reading time and still get all your water before it boils away.  I also use time during cooking to mend my clothing or fabricate something using a workbench, sharpen my knife or axe or clean my firearms.

• Upvote 1

Reading occurs in 1 hour increments, correct?  What if your food will be done in 30mins (or even less)?  I think what OP is asking for is to "read until food is done" then automatically stop reading so you can tend to your food.

May want to post this on wishlist forum.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

Reading occurs in 1 hour increments, correct?  What if your food will be done in 30mins (or even less)?  I think what OP is asking for is to "read until food is done" then automatically stop reading so you can tend to your food.

May want to post this on wishlist forum.

yup, 1 hour increments... that's why  I said " You will have to make sure that the items you are cooking have sufficient amount of time before burning up to a crisp."   
I understood what OP was asking for, but wasn't sure if they've ever tried do so using the currently in place mechanics.   I agree it would be nice to have a "read til cooked" button, but it's kinda already in place, right?

13 minutes ago, Arodin said:

There was a mod that changed reading time to 15 min increments, and that worked great.  I'd love to see that implemented in the game, it just makes sense.

Perhaps the author of that mod could "interface" with TLD when the time comes for their User Generated Content project!  This is exactly the kind of stuff I'd love to see being made available by the modding community that doesn't change the gameplay.  With the latest updates in place, I'd say the folks at Hinterland have been listening intently to what the community has been asking for and are making things happen.  It probably wont be long before we can start sitting in chairs and reading books while the pot boils on the stove!  

This should have been posted in the Wish List sub-forum.

Also, I agree with Piddy3825, we can already do this so I don't see any need for this change at all.

If we want to read to pass time, then we can do that... if we risk burning our food; that's a consequence the player should consider and take into account.  I think this game is all about careful and deliberate action.  I also think that wanting to integrate the reading and cooking mechanics is one of those "I want my cake, and eat it too" type of situations.

:coffee::fire:
I say if we want to read while we are cooking then folks should learn to manage their time appropriately.  I think reading in tiny increments is just another way to make the game easier... and I'm generally never in favor of that.  I say there is nothing wrong with either of the two mechanics as they are now, and by paying attention to what the player is doing they can already manage the two simultaneously.

I do this all the time.  I use reading to pass the time, and if I'm cooking... all I have to do is estimate whether or not the thing cooking will burn in one hour.  It's pretty simple to manage one's time... so I'm not in favor of this idea.

Edited by ManicManiac
Rephrased to use general terms.
  • Upvote 1