Purifying Toilet Water

Big Tag

To add some realism and additional difficulty, my suggestion is to treat toilet water as being unsafe.  To make it safe, water purification tablets would need to be used.   Otherwise, if a player chose to drink toilet water that had not been purified, they would  run the same risk as drinking melted snow that had not been boiled.  It seems like this would involve a fairly simple change (changing toilet water from safe to unsafe) that might be well received by most players.

• Upvote 1

Perhaps only the toilets without a cistern give poor water. Because you'd be taking it directly from the bowl. Or even normal toilets with a cistern, but that are in older decrepit buildings would give non-potable water. 

3 hours ago, Fuarian said:

Perhaps only the toilets without a cistern give poor water. Because you'd be taking it directly from the bowl. Or even normal toilets with a cistern, but that are in older decrepit buildings would give non-potable water. 

Agree with the former, not the latter.  Water in a covered toilet tank that hasn't been touched for a year would likely be safe to drink.  Maybe wouldn't taste the best, it might contain mold spores, but any living amoebae would be long dead from lack of nutrition.

I think it would be actually great to add any new way of obtaining unsafe water. Whether it's from toilets, fishing holes or waterfalls. As far as I'm aware melting snow is the only way to get unsafe water, unless I missed something? That makes water purification tablets a bit useless. Perhaps they might save a little bit of fuel but with all the clutter to carry I feel stupid keeping them, since I never use them, I could be carrying that extra fuel needed to boil the water instead.

On 5/16/2020 at 6:21 AM, ajb1978 said:

Agree with the former, not the latter.  Water in a covered toilet tank that hasn't been touched for a year would likely be safe to drink.  Maybe wouldn't taste the best, it might contain mold spores, but any living amoebae would be long dead from lack of nutrition.

When i participated in house reconstruction, old toilet tank was full of clear water. But tank's walls were covered with mold. Not sure if safe to drink, so purification is understable.