underground waterfall in cave by hatch

piddy3825

there's that cave near the hatch in Pleasant Valley with the big waterfall in background,  you find a broken picnic table, sometimes a corpse, but usually some rabbits and stuff.  

anyways, I've only explored it a few times and maybe not as thorough as I could or should have but this time around I ended up finding a room with an underground waterfall in it that appeared to be separating another section of cavern that was on the other side of the opening.  Has that always been there?  I mean, how long have I been missing that or is that something since the last round of updates?  Can you slip thru the water into the other side?  I didn't want to risk it by doing something rash, at least not with the character I'm currently playing...

If you've been down in there and have tried it, I'd be interested in finding out what happened?

The cave is located near the Misty Falls Picnic area.  The part of the cave in question used to be a deadend chamber.  Not sure when it changed, but probably with episode 3.  

You can cross the falling water but expect to immediately lose your warmth (and any worn clothing getting soaked).  A lantern would be extinguished, a lit torch would be ruined, and I don't know about flares (probably would be snuffed out/ruined).  There is a limited-sized area on the far side that can have some goodies and probably a burned-out campfire. It basically is one chamber that goes nowhere (for now).  It looks like an "exit" suffered a cave-in. 

Returning from that chamber to the main cave will soak you again and lose you all your warmth.  

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, UTC-10 said:

You can cross the falling water but expect to immediately lose your warmth (and any worn clothing getting soaked).  A lantern would be extinguished, a lit torch would be ruined, and I don't know about flares (probably would be snuffed out/ruined). 

All of the above are true. Even Marine Flares...which I mean "marine" flares, you would think could resist water. Nope.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the heads up @UTC-10 and  @ajb1978,

appreciate the info and now am looking forward to checking out the back side of that cavern.  I'm thinking make a big fire before ducking through the falls and stripping down to my skivvies before ducking thru.  That way at least my clothes are dry when I get to the other side?  Then I can dress warmly real quick take a peak around before disrobing again and heading back to the warmth of waiting fire.

Pretty much what I did.  The main cave spawns coal and sticks.  Make a fire.  Remove clothes, go through the FRIGID!!! water, then explore that small chamber, scarfing up any goodies, then head back. 

It might be more interesting if there was a more extensive cave there even if that waterfall was the only way in and out.  Alternately, how about an alternate way up onto Timberwolf Mountain thereby bypassing the rope climb by the abandoned prepper cache?  With the inclusion of limited hand-climbing spots like in the Forlorn Muskeg to Bleak Inlet connecting cave, maybe a lot can be done.  

Given the "cave in" blockage that limits that part to one smallish chamber, that could still happen in some future update. 

@UTC-10 and @ajb1978,

I managed to go check out the interior and although I was disappointed in the "size" of the space, the loot was outstanding!  I got a brand new rifle and a box of bullets for my efforts in addition to some much need foodstuffs!  If memory serves, I think the cavern used to lead upwards to a little alcove looking down on the main chamber where you'd find the backpack along with the rifle.  Back then I always had the impression that the corpse laying in the main chamber had fallen from said alcove.  

I like the idea that the rubble could be moved especially then providing an alternate route into TWM.  The idea of climbing thru narrow openings with precarious handholds while trying to hold a torch or lantern appeals to me.  

1) It’s new since the last story mode update.

2)the loot is always worth it

3) take off your clothes before going through and then put them back on to regain warmth.  You won’t need a lantern back there as it’s always somewhat lit.

Bonus: if you want to get your cooking skill up fast, harvest a deer 0.1KG at a time and cook up all the little pieces.