Timberwolf Mountain and the downed aircraft

piddy3825

I don't know how many times I've been up to the summit on Timberwolf Mt but I've always wondered what happened to the cockpit and flight crew of that doomed aircraft.  

Considering how the wreckage is scattered about the region it looks like the plane clipped the summit and was broken up into various pieces which eventually landed in those all too familiar locations.  Considering how and where the wreckage has landed, what happened to the cockpit?  It looks like most of the  body of plane and cockpit is missing,  the wings, landing gear and engines having been sheared off by the impact apparently continued moving forward until they reached their final resting place(s).  But what happened to the cockpit and body of that aircraft? I would have loved to have found the smashed cockpit and been able to retrieve the "blackbox" and it would be equally interesting to be able to playback the recording during an aurora event.

How many crew on an aircraft of that size? I typically encounter three to four bodies on the summit.  One guy in the cave  near  the climbing rope, (not sure if this guy is always there or not, but he was on this last play through).  Two bodies outside the rear of the tail section and one guy down in the underbelly of the tail section wreckage.   How many of bodies were crew?  Considering the note in the Mountaineer's Hut, is one of the dead on the summit the author of that note?  or is the author of that note the dead guy with the hacksaw down by the cargo containers near the bear den? 

If the guy in the cave was crew, did he die only because he could not get into the locked storage containers?  A survivor would have had just about everything they needed to survive otherwise, right?  So many questions...  Would love to hear some of your thoughts on this, please and thank you!

It has to be another one. The one on the TWM has tail section at the top of the mountain. The one in the PV has its own tail section. Not talking about engines and wings.

When one checks a map of TWM, it seems like the cabin would be hurled towards Crystal lake. It could end in the lake. Or it is more south in another region.

Edited by acada

11 hours ago, acada said:

It has to be another one. The one on the TWM has tail section at the top of the mountain. The one in the PV has its own tail section. Not talking about engines and wings.

When one checks a map of TWM, it seems like the cabin would be hurled towards Crystal lake. It could end in the lake. Or it is more south in another region.

I agree it would have to have landed somewhere near Crystal lake or the vicinity, just loosely based on the "trajectory" of the aircraft and the initial impact area.  

Possibly ended up on the other side of the mountain range to the SE of Crystal Lake. Looking at the area as it appears on the Great Bear Island map, it could be a new region east of Pleasant Valley / Coastal Highway and north of Desolation Point.

Edited by ProsPex

On 4/13/2020 at 3:01 AM, acada said:

It could end in the lake. Or it is more south in another region....

You're probably right.... I suppose it could have crashed through the ice of Crystal Lake and then the surface of the lake refroze.

screen_b7cd990f-f58c-42cb-bd7a-567e134b60c8_hi.thumb.png.0263e82881c410c53ca2444f7bb484b2.png

Edited by ProsPex