Badge for snaring 100 rabbits.

peteloud

A week ago I decided to try for the badge for snaring 100 rabbits.  It just happened that I was tidying up the loose ends of a 1,150 day Voyager game, not playing playing a Stalker game which would have been more usual.

In my 1,150 day game I had only snared 35 rabbits. I don't often use snares, I prefer to use a bow & arrow. This suggested that I'd have to survive around another 3,000 game days to fulfill that target.  So, ashamedly, I took the easy option.  I decided to stay at Trappers cabin as that has lots of rabbits nearby.

What a boring repetitive task.  I started off with three snares, then soon went to four then five.  I probably could have gone on and made a line of 25 snares but that seemed too tacky a way of playing.  I would get between one and three rabbits each morning.  Each day it was get up, empty snares, harvest, cook, kill time and eat rabbit.  I steadily built up a lot of rabbit meat, guts and pelts. I cooked and ate all of the rabbit meat just to keep the place tidy.

Staying at Trappers cabin at Voyager level is very boring, although very safe and comfortable.  I didn't see a single wolf, bear or moose in front of the cabin, only some dear, and rabbits behind the cabin.  The monotony was excessive. I'd have day trips to other nearby sites of interest and the occasional overnight trip to other areas, but I always had to be back to check the snares.  Halfway through I had to have a trip to Bleak Inlet to re-sharpen my knives and axes and to gave myself a break from snaring rabbits.

Now I have the badge my snaring is 100% more effective. Wow!  I have enough rabbit pelts to last a lifetime and I don't want to see another snare.

I shall give a miss to the badge for consuming 250 coffees, energy drinks or emergency sims.  I would be amazed that there were that many in the game.

Edited by peteloud

The good part about the feat system is that it tracks over all your games. So long as you complete the task in any of your Survival or Challenge games, you'll progress towards unlocking the feat. No need to grind, just play normally and they'll eventually unlock!

For me, I plan to work on my Expert Trapper feat in my Interloper game when I retire to the Ravine. A snare line of thirty traps or so should unlock this pretty fast.

1 hour ago, Martin Prchal said:

I don't know how you feel about these kinds of strats, but you can get the coffee feat with 4 or 5 coffees if you just escape when you are drinking one as fast as you can. Like this you can make 1 coffee seem like you drank 50.

I suppose that I could use a mod to give myself 250 coffees and it would be much easier.  I might even be able to give myself the badge and save myself the trouble of having to cook and drink the coffee.  But there's not much point in playing the game if the challenge is removed.

Whether achieving these badges is "tedious and repetitive" or just a nice perk earned in the course of "normal gameplay" is really just a matter of player choice.  If a player chooses to be "grindy" and they don't like how that plays... they can just choose not to play that way.  I think the badges are set up fine the way they are.  I'm just not sure it's really fair to criticize a mechanic, when I think the real issue is probably how folks choose to play at it.  If they want it fast... then I guess they'll grind - but that's not the game's fault.

:coffee::fire:
I've never really been one to go chasing feats anyway (especially since I almost never use them - they make the game a bit too easy for my tastes).  In all the time I've played I never felt the urge to change the way I play, just to unlock them.  I mean, in all the time since feats where introduced I still don't have Fire Master unlocked, and that's because I only start a fire when I really need one. :D

I imagine the Interloper players end up unlocking this in a fair enough time just by playing as well, if for no other reason than because the world gets so cold that heat becomes a lot more important.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

Just now, ManicManiac said:

I imagine the Interloper players end up unlocking this in a fair enough time just by playing as well, if for no other reason than because the world gets so cold that heat becomes a lot more important.

You end up losing your worry about cluttering the map with campfires pretty quickly on Interloper. When -10°C means you go from fully warm to hypothermia risk in a single hour, you drop a campfire wherever you need it.

Personally, I think the new feats are a great addition, but I certainly wouldn't bother using any of them in place of Cold Fusion and Efficient Machine for Interloper. Compared to these two feats that are 'always on,' the others are simply too situational to worry about. Cold Fusion is essentially a free wool toque that never loses condition. Efficient Machine translates to 10% more calories per food item. Neither is worth trading, though whenever I'm slowly pushing into the teeth of a biting cold wind I wish I had Blizzard Walker as well.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2020 at 4:16 AM, peteloud said:

I shall give a miss to the badge for consuming 250 coffees, energy drinks or emergency sims.  I would be amazed that there were that many in the game.

There may not be that many in ONE sandbox game, but if you have multiple sandboxes running, it'd be worth it.  I just got mine after drinking 85 or so coffees from the three games I have going right now~

• Like 1

On 2/22/2020 at 11:16 PM, Jimmy said:

Personally, I think the new feats are a great addition, but I certainly wouldn't bother using any of them in place of Cold Fusion and Efficient Machine for Interloper. Compared to these two feats that are 'always on,' the others are simply too situational to worry about. Cold Fusion is essentially a free wool toque that never loses condition. Efficient Machine translates to 10% more calories per food item. Neither is worth trading, though whenever I'm slowly pushing into the teeth of a biting cold wind I wish I had Blizzard Walker as well.

I also liked cold fusion and efficient machine as standard and replaced the latter with blizzard walker when finally unlocking the perk. Sure, it takes a little more effort to stay fed but then again, starvation ain't anywhere near as lethal as lingering in the cold. Not having to run when facing wind makes up for it anyhow. The perhaps most significant advantage about BW, it decreases the risk of getting caught up by the wicked wolf when the wind is blowing in your face. Perhaps it slows the wolf down to some degree too, but I'm pretty confident it gives him a vantage point. Unfortunately haven't received the snaremaster badge yet, don't see the need as there are plenty of stones to go around.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, manolitode said:

I also liked cold fusion and efficient machine as standard and replaced the latter with blizzard walker when finally unlocking the perk. Sure, it takes a little more effort to stay fed but then again, starvation ain't anywhere near as lethal as lingering in the cold. Not having to run when facing wind makes up for it anyhow. The perhaps most significant advantage about BW, it decreases the risk of getting caught up by the wicked wolf when the wind is blowing in your face. Perhaps it slows the wolf down to some degree too, but I'm pretty confident it gives him a vantage point. Unfortunately haven't received the snaremaster badge yet, don't see the need as there are plenty of stones to go around.

How fast do you walk with the BW feat?  I might go for it if the speed increase in windy weather is significant.

And I agree about the -10% calories feat.  For normal interloper I just push for a bow and arrows asap, well before the cattails run out.  Thereafter it's meat-nanza. 

Guest kristaok

Congrats on the badge! I like to camp out at the trappers cabin to hunt Rabbits and Deer. Sometimes you can snag a Bear, Moose, and travel a bit out for some Wolf Meat. 

13 hours ago, Ruruwawa said:

How fast do you walk with the BW feat?  I might go for it if the speed increase in windy weather is significant.

And I agree about the -10% calories feat.  For normal interloper I just push for a bow and arrows asap, well before the cattails run out.  Thereafter it's meat-nanza. 

You get 25% less speed decrease when walking in wind, which is significant to me 😊

Edited by manolitode
  • Upvote 2