Human and Wolf cooperation

blissard

Yesterday imagined to encounter a wolf in trouble, maybe injured, or a puppy left alone, to help him, and let me treat him friend; He would follow me and helped me to keep away other wolves or sniff interesting areas, this is one thing I'd like to see in this long dark :)

Hum... Maybe for a Disney movie based on TLD yes ;) (I think there is already a movie like that). NOT for the game. Remember, it a post-apocalyptic situation for human AND animals. Wolves are not domestic animals... They will hunt you if it's a necessity for them.

Now I suppose if you take a puppy at a very young age, he would identify you as his/her progenitor. For a limited period of time at least, as it is already observed in ethology studies... Why not but it's more of an idea for a totally different game IMHO, I don't think it would ever fit correctly in the sandbox/story of TLD.

Not to mention you will have to share your food with wolfy... At least.

Look at that other big survival Alpha game coming soon, "Before", I doubt you will ever want to take a puppy Saber Tooth Tiger with you :) ...

Yo!

What they could do it add a feeding system to the wolves, in which if you drop a decoy and a wolf eats it, that wolf wouldn't despawn, and after feeding it for like a week or so maybe feeding it on 14 or so separate occasions, it will start to follow you for food, and after a little more feeding it will be loyal.

Those wolves in the video were so fluffy! I think it might be an interesting idea, although I'm not sure how well it would work in The Long Dark. I like the idea personally, and the thought of one day having to kill and eat Fluffy the wolf because you just don't have enough food for the both of you is creepy but possibly quite realistic, given the circumstances.

Dogs mouths are more dirty than Human mouths, but the reason why a human bite is more dangerous than a dog bite is because the bacteria in a human mouth is human specific, and so would have a greater effect than say, bacteria that was adapted to a dog's immune system. As well as that, human teeth are very blunt. As such, they produce a lot of ripped, crushed tissue damage than a dog, who's teeth just slice through the flesh. so more damage is done by a human bite, and more surface area is exposed to potential infection.

I was actually thinking about this same thing, partly because I was playing while we were watching a video on youtube about wolves and dogs. Realistically that's how humans first started having dogs, was wolves that saw humans as a way of getting food.

As people have mentioned earlier in this thread, this is apocalyptic survival for humans and wolves. Perhaps there could be a way to identify smaller/hungry wolves, and like others have said, you could feed that specific wolf over the course of a couple weeks or a month or more even. It would be interesting to see, although I have no idea how difficult that would be, or if Devs would be at all interested in it, but I know that it would get lonely quick out there and there is a reason dogs have become what they have for us. A wolf companion that was perhaps slightly unpredictable could be a very interesting dynamic to the game for sure.

I think it's a really cool idea and I'm not saying they shouldn't do it, but they do explicitly state that the geomagnetic disaster drove the wild-life crazy to explain why the wolves are so aggressive.

So I'm feeling they'll say no.

Ohhh maybe we will get an attack owl like they have in Oregon now :)

I was actually thinking about this same thing, partly because I was playing while we were watching a video on youtube about wolves and dogs. Realistically that's how humans first started having dogs, was wolves that saw humans as a way of getting food.

As people have mentioned earlier in this thread, this is apocalyptic survival for humans and wolves. Perhaps there could be a way to identify smaller/hungry wolves, and like others have said, you could feed that specific wolf over the course of a couple weeks or a month or more even. It would be interesting to see, although I have no idea how difficult that would be, or if Devs would be at all interested in it, but I know that it would get lonely quick out there and there is a reason dogs have become what they have for us. A wolf companion that was perhaps slightly unpredictable could be a very interesting dynamic to the game for sure.

Totally agree, hope dev considering the idea

I would suggest something slightly different, but similar. A wolf puppy would take a lot of time to mature to the point that it was useful, therefore I suggest that the player can befriend an abandoned dog found at the Farmstead (a farm dog is not too far fetched) Initially it will be as aggressive as the wolves, but dropping decoys and progressively standing your ground whilst they are distracted by decoys will ultimately lead to it respecting you and joining your "pack" as it were.

The dog will fight off a wolf if one jumps you, and can find caches of food, and corpses which are not circled by crows.

The dog will remain with you as long as you feed it, but it may leave if you don't feed it often enough (once every 3 days).

Keeping a dog means that it will accompany you into buildings, and sleep on your bed when you go to sleep (adding an additional warmth bonus)

Persistently walking in a blizzard with the dog for an extended period of time will lead to its death. Remaining inside for extended periods of time will lead to it getting anxious and aggressive from restlessness.

If the dog dies, it will yield 6 KG of dog meat, 2 pieces of dog pelt and 1 gut. (killing it or befriending it is up to you)

I would suggest something slightly different, but similar. A wolf puppy would take a lot of time to mature to the point that it was useful, therefore I suggest that the player can befriend an abandoned dog found at the Farmstead (a farm dog is not too far fetched) Initially it will be as aggressive as the wolves, but dropping decoys and progressively standing your ground whilst they are distracted by decoys will ultimately lead to it respecting you and joining your "pack" as it were.

The dog will fight off a wolf if one jumps you, and can find caches of food, and corpses which are not circled by crows.

The dog will remain with you as long as you feed it, but it may leave if you don't feed it often enough (once every 3 days).

Keeping a dog means that it will accompany you into buildings, and sleep on your bed when you go to sleep (adding an additional warmth bonus)

Persistently walking in a blizzard with the dog for an extended period of time will lead to its death. Remaining inside for extended periods of time will lead to it getting anxious and aggressive from restlessness.

If the dog dies, it will yield 6 KG of dog meat, 2 pieces of dog pelt and 1 gut. (killing it or befriending it is up to you)

That's a great idea. Indeed, the tame wolf is very difficult, but at the farm just to be a dog. With regard to the death - may even be possible to resolve the issue this way: if you do not care about the dog, do not feed it - it just runs away. It may appear later in a random location and it again will need to tame. (Maybe it will be possible to kill he trapping, or put on a chain and not giving food. Then it is hard to affect the psychological state of the hero - he will miss a long time. After that, the dog - this is understandable - does not appear.

I would suggest something slightly different, but similar. A wolf puppy would take a lot of time to mature to the point that it was useful, therefore I suggest that the player can befriend an abandoned dog found at the Farmstead

Really like this idea! Unless you're a wolf expert, it's much more likely to "tame" a savaged dog than a wolf, even if it's just a wolf puppy. Wolves behave more "extreme" - different would probably be the wrong word as dogs still show a similar yet less marked behaviour. You can even see part of it in the video (e.g. at 1:03) : A subordinate wolf (tail position at 0.46) somehow violates the pack hierarchy (maybe by approaching the woman from behind, not sure about that) and is immediately "corrected" by another wolf, presumably the alpha. If your "pet wolf" behaved bad you would have to "correct" it similarly, it would'nt understand just scolding it like a dog.

Wolves also don't understand human body language and mimics (as dogs do), so it would be much more difficult to teach them something.

TLDR:

Wolves really aren't good companions for amateurs.

But I would like the idea of a farmdog (at least if it was well-behaved and only barked/attacked wildlife if you told it to). I also wouldn't mind sharing my food with it. Having a guardian dog for your base would be really nice, especially if some future patch introduced other human survivors trying to steal your stuff. ;) However, adopting the farm dog should be completely optional, those who decide against it (because of food efficiency or other reasons) shouldn't have major disadvantages.

Man, I wish there was more of this in games. I would love a wolf partner in a game like this, a lone or a pup or what have you. There's something about having an animal partner in a game that is just indescribable, yet there are so few games that really even touch on it. I definitely think it's worth a shot!!

Archived