Human and Wolf cooperation

blissard

I would suggest something slightly different, but similar. A wolf puppy would take a lot of time to mature to the point that it was useful, therefore I suggest that the player can befriend an abandoned dog found at the Farmstead (a farm dog is not too far fetched) Initially it will be as aggressive as the wolves, but dropping decoys and progressively standing your ground whilst they are distracted by decoys will ultimately lead to it respecting you and joining your "pack" as it were.

The dog will fight off a wolf if one jumps you, and can find caches of food, and corpses which are not circled by crows.

The dog will remain with you as long as you feed it, but it may leave if you don't feed it often enough (once every 3 days).

Keeping a dog means that it will accompany you into buildings, and sleep on your bed when you go to sleep (adding an additional warmth bonus)

Persistently walking in a blizzard with the dog for an extended period of time will lead to its death. Remaining inside for extended periods of time will lead to it getting anxious and aggressive from restlessness.

If the dog dies, it will yield 6 KG of dog meat, 2 pieces of dog pelt and 1 gut. (killing it or befriending it is up to you)

Really like this idea! Unless you're a wolf expert, it's much more likely to "tame" a savaged dog than a wolf, even if it's just a wolf puppy. Wolves behave more "extreme" - different would probably be the wrong word as dogs still show a similar yet less marked behaviour. You can even see part of it in the video (e.g. at 1:03) : A subordinate wolf (tail position at 0.46) somehow violates the pack hierarchy (maybe by approaching the woman from behind, not sure about that) and is immediately "corrected" by another wolf, presumably the alpha. If your "pet wolf" behaved bad you would have to "correct" it similarly, it would'nt understand just scolding it like a dog.

Wolves also don't understand human body language and mimics (as dogs do), so it would be much more difficult to teach them something.

TLDR:

Wolves really aren't good companions for amateurs.

But I would like the idea of a farmdog (at least if it was well-behaved and only barked/attacked wildlife if you told it to). I also wouldn't mind sharing my food with it. Having a guardian dog for your base would be really nice, especially if some future patch introduced other human survivors trying to steal your stuff. ;) However, adopting the farm dog should be completely optional, those who decide against it (because of food efficiency or other reasons) shouldn't have major disadvantages.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS IDEA!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Yup, when I daydream about new maps I'd create if I knew how, there are always dogs (and puppies with their dams) that you can befriend and adopt. Before you can "adopt", you can "play with", "feed", and "give water" to a puppy or lone dog. Once the dog accepts you, an option to "adopt" becomes available by giving it a name. Complicated I know, but if I knew how to code, it's the first mod I'd make.

unfortunately the wolf idea is untenable, as wolves in the wild are unpredictable at best, and liable to abandon you.

It would be nice if it were the case, but wolves are just not as loyal to humans as dogs are. That is why our ancestors domesticated wolves thousands of years ago to become today's dog.

Archived