Saving the game takes very long on PS4

Ich9210

Hello everyone,

I played TLD since Steam early access on PC and took a break two years ago. The Episode 3 release in october last year made me to take a look back into The Long Dark :) No regreds, the game growth very well since I last played it! I'm a little bit of a trophy hunter on PS and I like to have my favourite games in my trophy collection. So I decided to buy it for PS4 an replay all the game.

I didn't touch the story on console yet but I am on day 300 on survival mode with 100% world exploration. Bevor continuing to the 500 days trophy I desided to do challenges first. This was the moment I noticed that the game in survival mode takes much more time to save the game as it takes in challenge mode. I checked the size of the savedata but there is barely a difference. The fakt that I didn't noticed it earlier seems to be because of the slow changing of the duration. Something is slowing this down like crazy and when it continues I am scared of the time to save 400 days and counting^^

Is there anyone that have the same issue? Is there a fix for that problem? I would appreciate any kind of help!
At the end, sorry for my bad english. I tried my best but I'm not that good at it :D

How long is a save in your 400 day game? Saving seem to take longer on PS after crossroads release but the number of bluescreens has been reduced in my experience. Bluescreens used to occure every 3 hours or so (but you're already familiar with this being some 300 days in). It's possible that a function of the longer save time is to reduces crash risk but I don't know if that's Hinterlands intention. Sleep/injury/entering building saves are what they are but if you pass time alot you can break it before the "invisible timer" hits zero hours. You won't get the save (or level up your patience skill) but gain up to 10 sec gaming time each time which might correspond to a few % of your total gametime.  

Around 30 seconds when I enter a building. That means 20 to 30 seconds loading screen and 25 to 30 seconds to save the game. In that time I can't move, the picture freezes for the saving. That's pretty annoying when you loot a place that have many buildings around. Saving after waiting or sleeping takes not that long, maybe 10 to 15 seconds. Bluescreens are not a big issue. I experienced maybe five or six in BI and only one in Milton, zero in other regions. Compared to a fresh game these times are very "bad". When I start a new game or a challenge and enter a building loading and saving takes maybe 20 seconds together and I can move while the saving hatchet shows up in the right corner. I don't understand why. The size of the game file is nearly identical. Why does this slows down that much? P.S.: when I get a sprained ankle, the game freezes and I can go get some big moose kicks coffee :D

It's good to hear you've been fairly protected from bluescreens. It seems like your saving experience is a bit odd indeed. 30 secs is a long time, I don't recall this on longruns either before or after the recent updates. 10 would be more "normal". It's hard to tell from the description whether this has to do with programming or individual performance of PS4 consoles. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/7/2020 at 7:13 AM, Ich9210 said:

Hello everyone,

I played TLD since Steam early access on PC and took a break two years ago. The Episode 3 release in october last year made me to take a look back into The Long Dark :) No regreds, the game growth very well since I last played it! I'm a little bit of a trophy hunter on PS and I like to have my favourite games in my trophy collection. So I decided to buy it for PS4 an replay all the game.

I didn't touch the story on console yet but I am on day 300 on survival mode with 100% world exploration. Bevor continuing to the 500 days trophy I desided to do challenges first. This was the moment I noticed that the game in survival mode takes much more time to save the game as it takes in challenge mode. I checked the size of the savedata but there is barely a difference. The fakt that I didn't noticed it earlier seems to be because of the slow changing of the duration. Something is slowing this down like crazy and when it continues I am scared of the time to save 400 days and counting^^

Is there anyone that have the same issue? Is there a fix for that problem? I would appreciate any kind of help!
At the end, sorry for my bad english. I tried my best but I'm not that good at it :D

You could use a SSD if you want. On xbox, you can buy an external SSD enclosure and hook it up via USB 3.0, but supposedly on PlayStation, you can just plug a SSD straight into the PlayStation somehow. 

• Upvote 1

@manolitodeespanaI agree, hard to tell what's the cause. Maybe the support take a look in the thread or other PS4 players share there experience. Maybe there is some space for optimization.

@wizard03 This is something that comes in my mind too. The PS4 also supports external harddrives but I would replace the HDD. The prices are going down for a while and 500 GB are fairly enough for me. Can I just take the savegame put them on an USB drive and after the SSD installation put it back on the harddrive? I would like to avoid loosing any progress.

7 hours ago, Ich9210 said:

This is something that comes in my mind too. The PS4 also supports external harddrives but I would replace the HDD. The prices are going down for a while and 500 GB are fairly enough for me. Can I just take the savegame put them on an USB drive and after the SSD installation put it back on the harddrive? I would like to avoid loosing any progress.

The easiest way of doing this is by using an external enclosure that connects via USB 3.0, however if you wish to have the best results, you can actually replace the hard drive with an SSD, and its fairly simple if your willing.
Full details here: https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/how-to-upgrade-your-ps4-hard-drive/

You will need at least one flash drive to install software onto the SSD so your ps4 will boot up properly, and if you want to install games and saves, anouther flash drive.

However, you could just upload them to the cloud instead. So you don't have to worry about losing any saves that way.

Out of curiosity, have you done a lot of breakdowns in your game?  My "destroy everything" run has some pretty brutal load times when entering a region or structure that I've done a lot of breakdowns on.  Most notably Carter Dam, where there is a LOT of stuff you can destroy.  I don't think it's the save time that takes forever, I think it's actually the load time for that area.  The game basically loads the dam in its initial configuration, then replays every breakdown I've done in rapid succession, which causes the loading of the region to take several seconds.  Even with a SSD the dam takes about 5 seconds to load.  Probably be closer to 30-40 on a conventional hard drive.

On 1/7/2020 at 5:13 AM, Ich9210 said:

Hello everyone,

Since the Errant Pilgrim update, I've been getting a noticeably longer "freeze" of the game whenever I go through a load screen; that is, the load screen ends, but there is now approximately a 5 second delay before I can move my character again or, say, extringuish or light a lantern.

• Upvote 1

@wizard03I bought a 1TB SSD, it should arrive today. I already made backups. I will replace the internal HDD and update the thread what the resault is. Thanks for the infos :)

@ajb1978No, I didn't many breakdowns. Just ja few for reclaimed wood and cloth. Good to know, so I shouldn't do more breakdowns, the times are already bad enough ^^'

@UpUpAway95Exactly! And this delay will extend with the playtime until you end up like me with 30 seconds waiting each loading and saving :o

Edited by Ich9210
  • Upvote 1