Norman, the Normaloper

Guest jeffpeng

Guest jeffpeng
1 hour ago, Gooner77 said:

Marsh Ridge cave always spawns the deer the second time you enter the cave. Has done this forever. Take it from an experienced Kegstander.  

Well mystery solved, Mr. Moulder :D 

Guest jeffpeng

I'm sorry to inform you that Norman has gone to hibernation, waiting for the bug-winter to end.

After in a parallel, not tracked game I lost three kills in a row (2 deer, 1 wolf) to them sinking through the ground and also took a rough beating from an underground wolf I've decided I don't want to end a story run on the notion that the story ended because the game currently is in a less-than-desireable state. I feel that would be undeserving of so many hours put into writing these.

Doesn't mean Norman's adventures end here. Norman will return when Great Bear has returned to sanity.

Edited by jeffpeng

Guest jeffpeng

Norman 2 / Days 24 and 25 - The Valley of the Damned, Episode II: "Where the winds actually don't take me"

I finish my Rabbit Skin Mitts at first "daylight". Good thing my survivor can see in the utter darkness as long as it's just 6 am. Pleasant Valley celebrates the completion of my first selfmade piece of quality clothing with an honorary sub-blizzard. For Jeremiah's sake! At least this gives me time to recap where I left off before entering hibernation - and sort some of my 55 kilograms I'm certainly not all carrying away from here. After doing some inventory I cannot deny a certain similarity with the local outlet store.

screen_cc51dc6a-9cc3-48f4-a4da-cddf0250bbd7.thumb.png.da2c1aaf75d43b41f903275d002a3641.png
Firesale! We're closing! Everything must go!

While I get ready the blizzard moves on before ever fully materializing. Now it's blue skies and a bit of snow. How does that even work? Better don't ask too many questions or the next thing I know it's raining wolves.

On the way back to Skeeter's I come across a bunch of saplings I must have missed on my relatively blind way up there. Sorry guys, this time you come with me. Upon reaching the Burned Ridge Cave I find some animal parts I left to cure a long time ago, but I also realize I'm in a bit of a predicament. I'm thirsty - which is easily fixed by throwing dead plants into a fire and harnessing the energy to achieve a phase change in abundantly available ice - and I'm getting hungry, which has a simple solution now, but will become a recurring theme unless I start tapping into some new food sources soon.

With the fire still burning at the cave I can't help but chance a short expedition to the Basement at Skeeter's, which involves a bit of literally running circles around the local furball. No underwear again, but I find some food - however most of it spoiled. But at this point I'm keeping even that around. Luckily the wolf never notices me escape, but just as I leave the cave again the overdue blizzard rolls in howling. Freezing, naked (to save my clothes from damage), tired, hungry and riddled with developing frostbite I reach Draft Dodger's.

screen_a0e779d0-a452-4351-ac84-beb521eeba76.thumb.png.f9273848a276298d6bf197d4842c8874.png
One of the most beautiful things to see in a blizzard.

I sleep 9 hours, as I actually need them, and wake up to a devastingly dark and snowy night. Thirsty I make a fire outside. Somehow I manage to bring down a rabbit in this darkness, but then winds brush up. My fire holds, for now, guarded by three trees. I venture back out into the dark, and two more rabbits fall to the same stone. Then, finally, the weather clears up a bit. The rabbit's sacrifice offers a reprieve, but not a solution to my developing food crisis. But it's better than nothing and should keep me going for a bit.

The way back is slow and in blistering cold. Luckily I find a few cattails I left behind, which relaxes my calorie constraints. My problem isn't so much that 30 cattails aren't enough. My problem is that on the way back I won't find a lot of new calories as I've taken most that was on my way. I really wish I had brought at least a few of my arrow heads. Not even at the bridge I need to make camp again to warm up, but I make it to the farm in mostly one piece.

I contemplate a long time, until I finally decide to postpone crafting my Deerksin Boots. This little extravaganza would cost me a full day, or, in cattails: about 18. That still would leave me with a few spares - but not enough to get through the inevitable blizzard. I leave what I don't need, including a large amount of saplings that haven't yet cured and some spoiled food a future me might appreciate.

At the barn I make quick work of two bunnies that yield a decent 2.4 kilograms of proteins. With the sun burning down on a wind blasted landscape the fire is even free, but its survival is at the whims of the almight weather algorithm. When the winds shift away from the farm towards Cascading Falls I decide to travese the river instead of taking the long route via the radio tower. But the winds just won't give me a break, and on my way to the transition cave a bear blocks my path.

screen_0ea15afa-286e-4853-a90d-20d420e3b34d.thumb.png.1eaae37262e42231b70e834fe77d72fd.png
Doesn't particularly agree with me being alive: a bear.

I make camp yet again near the bridge towards the Pensive Pond in a place that I hope will fare better against the wind than I do. While grow increasingly fatigued the sky turns grey and I already fear the worst. I consider staying at the pensive pond, which would be an adventure in itself, but then remember that there's actually another cave near Cascading Falls. When I leave the fire the wind .... finally lets me off the hook enough to keep a torch burning.

Weighing my options and with the bear in hearing range I decide to make a "run" for the transition cave - and succeed. I crawl through the cave but then call it quits at the mouth as I am in no shape making it through Winding River before I punch in some hours of quality sleep. But .... yet again I emerge from the Valley of the Damned battared and beaten - but victorious.

screen_31fbf764-3545-4334-a6f9-53cc4d272132.thumb.png.fc3dca6d4ed86034334ecf2ab4a523e8.png
It can only get better from here on out.

Guest jeffpeng

Norman 2 / Days 26 to 28 - The Mist

5 am, end of the cave to winding river. My condition has improved back to "can actually survive a wolf" levels. My food crisis seems to be on hold since I somehow managed to get through the last two days and still ramp up back to 37 cattails, with an iron reserve of 2 cans of beans and tomato soup each. I light up and step out into the unknown yet again. The dawning morning is clear and cold.

screen_d8ea9f08-65e5-4d27-ae46-a4db2e63c65d.thumb.png.f3ed039e3864c31e305912c1cafb07cd.png
Actually not the worst version of Winding River I've seen.

The winds are strong, but not (yet?) strong enough to deprive me of my loved fire. Hugging the walls closer than humanly possible I sprain both my wrists. That's very unfortunate considering I planned for a walk through at the McBunny - or BunnyKing, whatever floats your burger. Not willing to skip on my treat I turn in at the local cave to sleep and warm up.

Two hours later the sun is up, the sky is bright, but the region starts to make proud of its namesake. I get what's ought to be mine, but it costs as -35°C FL even in my advanced clothing strip me of all my warmth in a heartbeat. Just 1.6 kilograms from two rabbits remind me that the days to get by on bunny burgers alone are coming to an end. With the weather being an inhospitable mess there is no reason to not at least get the guts. A bunny hide for practice later the sun is gone, and so is the wind. Time to leave.

Before reaching the pass that leads up to the carcass I hear a wolf bark conspicuously far away, moments later a rabbit sings its last serenade. I should be good despite my gutty odor. Upon reaching the carcass I realize ... I'm not.

screen_dcb7e01f-287d-4727-9301-3b3b93d3be65.thumb.png.156c5c51b550d026f8fba38d0e1fa0ab.png
Knows his way around really well now: A wolf.

It's a testament to how capable the new pathfinding algorithm is that I get tracked up here. However aiming my flare gun at him my furry friend here reconsiders to mess with me quickly. I look at the carcass I had left in the storm the first time I passed through here - 2 full kilograms of venison. Thank you Jerimiah. The wolf returns again, my flare gun returns as well, and the wolf leaves tail between his legs for the second time, but I question the wisdom of carrying around those guts. However now that I am committed the deer is in for a full disassembly. The dam isn't far.

I get there without further incident. Moreso the carcass at the transformers is also present, and I'm not one to pass up on an opportunity of making some surplus food, even if it's just 600 grams. The hide and guts also join me - and when I'm done it's high time I leave. The winds announce bad weather. After sifting through the remaining part of the dam I reach the crafting bench, the holy temple of everything good that's going to come, and sort through my things. 12 guts plus 4 more curing, 5 rabbit pelts, 6 deer skins plus two more curing, 5 cured birch sapling, and 1 and 1 maple, 8 arrow heads and 30 feathers is indeed an impressive repertoir to build from. Two quality tool boxes stand ready to craft the most deadly weapons Great Bear has ever seen .... on Interloper at least. However with a blizzard outside and no daylight left those plans will have to wait for at least tomorrow.

Getting up at 5 am winds are still - or again? - howling outside. 44 reishis need preperation, so there is ample opportunity to spend time somewhat useful. After much deliberation I decide the most pressing matter for me is to get a bow going. Ohsixhundred sharp I start working on what will become the one bow to shoot them all. Three hours later I take a peek outside to determine how much food I can actually gather from the river. The verdict: enough to get me through the day, but not enough for much more. Unless I kill the moose that is loitering outside. Enticing prospect. Also a good way to throw away your run.

I finish my bow and put in work for 6 arrows, and why I am done it's 8 pm. Visibility outside is terrible, but no winds, and it's warm. Finding the moose in this weather before it finds me would be a hopeless endeavour, but at least I can get a few cattails if I am careful.

screen_57a0fc6b-b3a0-4b8d-8c27-172c538841d8.thumb.png.c3cbe4a70384bc3d74317aada7d99531.png
I can hear what lurks in the Mist - but I can't see it.

Then..... everything goes very fast.

I realize too late that the aggro range of the beast is huge, and fail to retreat from the moose before it starts charging. Before I know it I got much more than I bargained for running at me incresingly fast and menacing. The first arrow hits, but shows no effect. Bleak panic rushes to my head and I already see the moose trampling me to oblivion.

I draw, without really aiming, and release as soon as I can.

screen_f4c0efa6-73b2-404c-bc0e-1178550ad48a.thumb.png.a2fb163acb4b76172500d0cdc1f82f9f.png
Now I can see it.

Jeremiah is with me again. Holy Grey Mother!

I plonk down a fire, and quarter this behemoth of 35kg of most delicious meat, fully aware I'm hardly in a position to really cash in on my unexpected fortune - much like winning a cruise for your mother-in-law's birthday you didn't attend for the last 6 years in a row and really, really promised to attend this year. Damn, she's gonna be pissed. I try.

screen_23fa0dc6-179a-41b6-9bc7-24d909d59ad8.thumb.png.63b860ecbeba1a426cfc04757d132af9.png
Every 80's horror movie.

First I rescue the hide to the nearby trailer, and hastily leave stuff behind I don't need. Then, while cooking some of the goodness, I carry away the bags of meat, two at a time, and on my sixth and final trip I even get the guts. No wolves so far, and it stays that way. I harvest all bags until noon of the next day, and then put in a few hours of sleep, sipping cold rosehip tea to avoid dehydration.

With some reclaimed wood I left in the dam - which I had originally reserved to build a few traps... but who needs traps now? - I stock up on water and cook a small portion of my delicious yet - admittedly- grim pile of protein candy that will serve me well many days to come.

screen_b2bd0909-518e-436c-8be1-08a3acae7323.thumb.png.3c23b7be7f09615aa467cca67ec25196.png
You need to be a rather disturbed individual to feel joy at the sight of raw meat piled up in the snow.

When leaving for the trailer to catch up on some much needed sleep a wolf, then another slips through the gate. They can do that now? Wow. I drop another fire, and actually try to snipe them with the bow - but fail. Still, they leave. I recover my arrow, close the gate and decide to sleep in the dam tonight. Walking up the steps I see wolves trailing along the fence. They know I've got the good stuff.

Nibbling on some moose in the dark I muse about how in a darker timeline Norman 2 is now lying in bed somewhere, recovering from being run over by a ton of angry meat. Luckily ... I'm not him.

screen_57a0fc6b-b3a0-4b8d-8c27-172c538841d8.png

Edited by jeffpeng

Awesome stuff! I thought for sure you'd be a smear on the ice from that moose.

Can't wait to see what adventures Norman gets up to next, though by now he's pretty much set for the basics of survival. Norman's quest for underwear, perhaps?

Guest jeffpeng
5 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Norman's quest for underwear, perhaps?

That's the big kicker, yes. Plus there are bear clothes, wolf clothes, a second moose hide ... lots and lots of ways to die.

Guest jeffpeng

Norman 2 / Days 29 to 31 - (Isn't it good?) Norwegian Food

What better is there to start a day than loading your belly with obsecene amounts of the protein equivalent to swiss chocolate? My morning excercise consists of violently breaking down a crate and bringing my poor knife back into shape. The last two days have been very hard on it. But then, as much as I would love to indulge myself eating my mystery moose for the next week or so, there are far more pressing matters to attend. There is a gaping hole in my attire that should be filled with underwear.

screen_c3c1ea09-66e8-4c60-bfb8-b307879a343f.thumb.png.c9fb2a9c274af1fe0d56aa19a75051fe.png
Yeah, thanks a lot for rubbing it in, Game!

But I think I have another day's time. Or two. My Deerskin Boots are overdue as my combat boots provide ample protection, but the warmth equivalent of a pair of wool socks, so I get to work right away. I am interrupted at 8 pm, and as there is another blizzard outside there isn't much to do but sleep. At 2 am the blizzards subsides and I get outside to get some moose cooking - and Firestarting IV. My firewood reserves are limited - just 6 pieces of reclaimed wood and a few surplus torches - but the blistering cold helps to stretch that considerably. While cooking along past 8 am I hear a wolf howling nearby, multiple times. And no, I'm nowhere near finished cooking when I go inside to continue working. The mountain of meat just won't go away. Around midday my boots are finished. I also get 6 lines and hooks ready, each, just for good measure in case I need them. Then, despite my growing fatigue, it's time to leave.

Outside I pick up my cooked moose, and promply a wolf comes running, sticking its head through the fence. It has no time to regret this descision. 

screen_c378d864-decc-4564-97ee-627440fd0bcf.thumb.png.be7a4f352c90d7fecc7694dbdb7cc2dd.png
Clearly didn't imagine this to happen when receiving his new AI: A wolf.

I take the hide and guts, but leave the rest as I have no time to waste on meat I don't really need - and can't eat risk-free yet anyways. But so much is certain: if there's one thing I won't run out of anytime soon ... it's guts. How many people can say that for themselves? I pick up my stuff from the trailer and head out. Destination: Misanthropes. Waypoint: Ravine. Reaching my home base I sort out stuff I want to leave behind, and fix up my bedroll that has been in steady decline throughout my adventures. A few other items get a makeover as well, and then it's time to sleep. No place like home, ey?

12 hours later the morning is harsh and windy. I decide to bring all my three editions of "Stay On Target" as that's the kind of thing I'm really interested in right now. I read an hour to wait for slightly better weather, then go. The Ravine Basin will have to wait. It's not like it's going anywhere. I traverse the Trestle - which gives me the creeps to this day - and eat my bit of moose I packed for the way. It's back to cattails from here on out, I'm afraid.

I turn in at the trailer for an hour of rest - mostly to warm up - and consider my route from here. I decide that trailing down the Creek and collecting up on cattails would be the most prudent thing to do. Maybe even stay for a rabbit or two. I need some target practice after all.

I make it to the Rabbit Grove. My aim is rusty, but two rabbits succumb to three shots in total. I trail down a short bit, and make a fire at the carcass at the picnic spot. I get to harvest all the meat, but while cooking my last piece of venison I can no longer ignore that what undisputedly must be a bear is coming worryingly close. I put in enough sticks into my fire to finish the vension without me, pick up my surplus rabbit meat and bolt. Just in time.

screen_6c920996-c8ab-49db-a096-d03b0b5a62d8.thumb.png.b7e60650a269503e25abbf12d1328ec5.png
Was mistaken for a Tibetan Mastiff by his former owner: A Bear.

After having had more luck than I deserved with the moose I don't want to tempt fate too soon again. Retreating to the small cabin I sprain my ankle which put a wrench in my book reading plans. But going down the creek again now all I will achieve is to run into the bear once more. Screw it, I say, tape up my ankle, pop some Vicodin in true House fashion and read two hours before it's too dark to.

Of course the weather goes Blizzard while I do. Now maybe you could say lucky I didn't venture out again and got caught up. But you could also say that this effectively ends my day prematurely. I prepare away what tea I can, liberate the cabin of its lacy, gently wafting curtains (bonus points if you get that reference) .... and go to sleep grumpy.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jeffpeng

Norman 2 / Days 32 to 34 - To The Shoreline

I wake up around oh-seven-thirty. The world outside shows me its cold shoulder, but it's promising to become a fine day.

screen_a62566f7-63ce-4b61-8717-3b6baa3c7caf.thumb.png.dd36617df7c832e9d5a1bcb18e70b716.png
Looks promising.

I beeline down the creek again and pick up my venison I left here yesterday escaping from the bear. Not much further down I spot my bulky adversary again, but this time on a trajectory that should allow me to get past him. I am succesful, but sprain my wrist nudging along the terrain. Not exactly perfect. The trip down the creek turns out to be otherwise uneventful, and after a painfully cold stride through Coastal Highway's morning I reach the Fishing Village seriously popsicle'd.

The cottages don't yield much of interest, except for a granola and some dog food - both at the brink of disintegration, but still edible, so they both go as I put my hands on them - and a tin of sardines at an adventurous 46%. Feeling lucky I gulp them down... and am not punished. Yay. Three hours of sleep later what had started promising has turned into a blizzard. Annoyed I perform all the chore-y things I save for these kinds of moments. I fix what I deem fix-worthy, sharpen my knife and sleep what I can. When the blizzard dies down it's already 6 pm. What a waste.

At least trying to reach Jackrabbit I throw myself into the unhospitable outside. Racing against the winds I jump one, two fishing huts, but there's only so much ground you can make under such conditions. With a wolf blocking my path to the island I reach towards the third hut in a row, all the while the weather not getting any better, and me back to freezing. Reaching the hut the winds subside, but I'm lost in dense fog, so I declare my endeavour a lost cause and fire up. I might as well wait out the fog fishing.

It almost pains me to use my pry bar to break the ice (please don't try that at your local bar!), but I'm certainly not going to dull my dear knife for this. 4 hours later all I have to show for is a measely ranbow trout - but at least the fog has cleared. The house on Jackrabbit doesn't offer me any but the most basic hospitality (30% sardines and a granola). I consider hunting myself a few rabbits, but decide I want to use the beautiful night while it lasts.

screen_0985cc78-9d2d-41c3-a2d1-dcaaab155b65.thumb.png.9916b58e309db6837d938c2603b83416.png
Sometimes the best roadtrips are at night.

Reaching Misanthrope's the local wolf greets me, but doesn't get me before dodging into the house. At least the kitches has more to offer this time - dog food, good peaches and a soda. But the underwear .... isn't here. Thoroughly exhausted and annoyed at the same time I book in for 9 hours.

The next day it's already 1 pm, and it's snowy. But the winds are in my favor - at least as long as my destination is the Crumbling Highway. I make it to the Waterfront Cottages, use the opportunity to lens a free fire, and cash in on 1.5kg of venison and even two bunnies I manage to snipe. My first arrow goes - but that's okay. I leave hides and guts as they are something I really don't need more of at the moment. I reach Commuter's Lament at 6 pm.

When I enter the Crumbling Highway harsh winds turn into my face immediately. My plan is to visit the basement, but I start to reconsider if that is a wise course of action. I usually skip it, but with two more chances at some underwear I sorta need to go there. I bite my lip and make a run for the Abondoned Harris Home. Somehow I keep my torch alive. But no underwear again. My chances are running low.

Clinging to the mountainside I advance. Nothing at the cave. I hear a wolf howling much too close for comfort - bu there's no turning back now. Back to the wall I make it to below the mine entrance, and with a bit of goat magic make it inside the mine without ever seeing a wolf. The mine holds nothing particularly interesting - more quality tools and another pry bar. I leave what I don't need at the exit and leave.

Desolation point greets me with a particularly mild night. I take directly to the Stone Church as I find reaching the Lighthouse from there to be much less dangerous. Also I hope to score a rabbit or two there. Halfway there I stumple upon a deer carcass. Since I need to get new torches anyways I make camp. 1.8kg kilograms of free proteins I can't say no to, even though it doesn't fit all in my belly. Also Carcass Harvesting IV will come in handy.

I pack my venison, pull my torches and off I go to church. Midnight is approaching fast. When I reach the Stone Church I keep hearing paws around me. Probably rabbits, but the nearby waterfall makes it hard to safely distinguish. I make camp inside, with a real campfire, just to be on the safe side.

screen_8d0a3f4b-52ad-493e-b74d-8e744d8de9ac.thumb.png.b59ceb052e7879847d770740283ab9da.png
How to properly attend mass.

After an hour of rest winds stir up and I get comfortable with the idea of spending more time here than I wanted. The Church truly isn't the best place to stay the night, but it's better than to run into a wolf halfway exhausted. After a few hours of sleep visibitlity is acceptable despite it being around 4 am. I snipe a rabbit outside, which solves the mystery of the paws I've been hearing. Then, 6 am .... a blizzard hits. When it decides to move on at 12 pm I am fully rested and even put in two hours of research about how to stick it to a wolf from a distance. I move on.

I reach the Lighthouse without running into the wolf. Which is a big plus. The location itself however underwhelms with not a whole lot except the guaranteed stim. Matt lends me yet another pry bar, and I find my fourth issue of Stay On Target at the Riken - but all of this is not what I came here for. Approaching Hibernia I witness a wolf conspicuously fleeing from nothing near the road. If the bear is there I cannot see it. Believing to be safe I approach the trailer and promptly get barked at by another wolf. They normally don't roam the yard. Something must have stirred up this one as well. Unflinching I enter the trailer complex.

I find the whetstone, but nothing else. Leaving the trailer I feel unease, but the wolf is gone. The most interesting loot at Hibernia is the Hacksaw, a can of gunpowder and a book about how to extend my reign of terror to the marine life on great bear. The second, smaller trailer is a bust as well. All in all Desolation Point has been a Disapointment Point so far. Should I pay *uffy a visit? Lot's of risk for probably not a lot of payoff. I keep playing the idea in my head back and forth for a few minutes, and finally decide "screw it, why not" in true survivors fashion. Outside the fog has become so thick I can cut it. I stumble along, hardly knowing where I am going. Almost ready to admit I have lost my bearings I spot the Broken Bridge in the mist.

screen_9b5da826-14c5-47da-8184-a539caa351c4.thumb.png.968ffdb6292af35b6a6035f1d79dae79.png
Saviour from the mist.

Clenching my toes I enter the cave. *uffy doesn't take long to find me. I drop a fire, and a game of cat and mouse ensues. Throwing torches I illuminate the big cavern, and after missing two shots I finally get them.

screen_cd2a971d-681c-4de1-a6b6-ea7c88c00c7b.thumb.png.70cb5eb3ef6a9cbeddcffe302306e887.png
Got a taste of home invasion: *uffy.

Hitting home grants me Archery II. Sadly I don't find anything of particular interest. I get to work cutting up *uffy and the two deer carcasses. Brave as I am I gulp down two kilograms of *uffy meat. 4% risk? Pshaw! says the Yankee in me. (Again bonus points for getting that reference.) 96% chance!  *uffy's hide also comes with me, but I leave the rest. I carry my stuff to the mouth of the cave, make camp again, boil a bit of water and get to sleep.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest jeffpeng

Norman 2 / Days 35 to 37 - Where the dogs of society howl

When I rise rested and with an itchy feeling in my gut that hopefully will not fully manifest itself it's noon. I gulp down the remaining venison, but decide to ditch the wolf steaks. Chancing 4% once every few weeks - fine. Chancing 4% twice in row is tempting fate. Plus I'm facing opposition out there. Heavy, hairy opposition. I leave.

I make my way back towards Hibernia in splendid, even almost warm weather, but divert for the mine without ever returning to this monument of better days that are forever past. The sheer mountain of stuff I lug around makes it hard to keep even below 50kg. The bear can't be far since I can hear carrion birds singing their hungry chants, but I can't see it. A wolf spots me, but too late to hinder me dodging into the mine.

Alongside some tomato soup and beef jerky I find the expected firestriker at unexpected 88%, but other than that the mine proves unsuccessful as much as the rest of Desolation Point. At this point I've written off my second pair of knickers - almost. Thomson's is pretty much the last place I can give a try. 

screen_c8f1e838-b4c8-4172-a1df-11f3511729a5.thumb.png.dd4dd692ec4c295e2749d9917c76ac30.png
Goodbye yellow brick road (you can't see it under all the snow).

I make it through the transition mine without anything worth reporting. Outside I am greeted by snow and promise of bad weather. Winds brush up constantly, so I decide to turn in at the Arch Cave Inn, at least until conditions turn more favorable. Loaded as I am a blown out torch could mean death out here on the Old Island Connector. With the bow I feel comfortable taking on one wolf when I am mobile, but not too, and certainly not overloaded.

Four hours later, approaching midnight, the wind is gone, and the world is basking in moonlight. My intestinal parasites have decided to pass without ruining my next 3 weeks. I warm up a can of peaches for the way, and pack up while howling wolves remind me I am not welcome here.

screen_af21d2ad-9047-4c44-9930-69af15ba2734.thumb.png.400da073d554756b2cfd1c7247f2e4b1.png
I feel like someone blames me for the moonlit sky.

On the way out I even hear a wolf howling eerily close to me without ever seeing it - which means it never sees me either. But this patch of the world always keeps me on my toes and helps develop my paranoia a little bit further each time. Before finally leaving this place I warm up and cook up some more tea. Then it's another farewell for Norman 2. I won't be back, contrary to the popular saying. The next waypoint is supposed to be the Log Sort, from where I plan to ride a short, light footed excursion to Thomson's, before I retrace there and then shuffle my riches to the Ravine. You know nothing, John Snow, a future me remarks reading these lines.

Halfway to Quonset I make camp again, warm up, cook tea and coffee. When I get back on the road morning has already broken, despite no blackbird in sight. My food reserves are being heavily taxed as yet another can of peaches goes down the face drain, and one of my valueable cans of beans joins it. Once I make it to Quonset I'm pretty frozen, out of fuel, and expended a lot of my tea, and as I roll through the door a blizzard rolls over the area. But I'm alive.

As I haven't been to Quonset yet there's quite a bit of looting to do. I find, among other things, another hacksaw, one more whetstone and almost a full gallon of lamp fuel. Sifting through my inventory I decide to stash most stuff here for the time being and scour the immediate area a little bit. When I'm done sorting, the winds are still going strong, but the blizzard has passed. Light as a feather in comparison I head out into the Townsite.

Sadly the outside yields nothing worth talking about, and the inside of the only house chimes in to sheer uselessness. I decide to call it a day here, read a page of Stay On Target, and put myself to sleep.

The next morning my food shortage has establish itself so far I'm starting to eat into my cattail reserve. Still before sunrise I craft some tea to pass time. Back at Quonset shortly after, I fix a bit of clothing and sleep one more hour. It's just too cold out there. After that I check the house on the other side of the road for something to gulp down, and maybe a carcass - and yes, the carcass is there. But since it is so windy I check the house first. There I find much needed crackers in the kitchen. Without a chance to properly cash in on it I leave the carcass be and head towards Silent Clearing in hope of a lucky deer. And lucky I am.

screen_8162c076-f0c2-4b00-a1e9-4f4807249f92.thumb.png.9239ea2e1830eed628e79204ca673dc8.png
One.

With the winds manageable and the sun out I get to work on the spot. I end up taking and cooking everything the majestic animal has to offer, and make my way, reeking like a conquistador, back to quonset. After short deliberation I decide, due to the exceptional good weather, to eat hearty, even pack 3 kilograms of my butchered friend and head for the cabins near the Abandoned Lookout. Hardly out of the gate I see something big, heavy and hairy waddle towards me, and so I turn on my heels - and head for his home instead the other way around - which is quickly foiled by a wolf approaching me from not far behind quonset. I pack all the meat, and dodge inside. Hu. What to do?

I take the other exit, and commit to a cat and mouse around the house that ends with two deaths: the wolf, and my favorite arrow.

screen_32eda266-7833-4678-b7af-7c02429ad1a0.thumb.png.f375bb3cd242dd78b4a0e2b30134d9a5.png
Two.

Feeling lucky I consider taking on the bear. I got enough cars around - so why not? Tracking after the bear I misjudge horrifically. First, the bear doesn't see me, and when he does it's too late to retreat. On his hinds I look around and see no hard shelter in sight. "Nonononofreeeeeze" echoes back from the mountains as I realize my mistake. With 400 pounds of flesh advancing at me at relativistic speeds I am not sure my flare pistol is even loaded. I aim my bow, quickly recite several pages of the holy bible and other scripture and see famous moments of my life flashing before my eyes. Somewhere inbetween I release.

screen_62778343-be1a-4e51-b3a3-c2d6b10af14e.thumb.png.2b061b92464c860effbe850972527289.png
Three.

WHAT THE FREEZE?! Not even sure how that worked I sigh so much air I must have been puffed up like a baloon. Unsure what to do I make a fire next to the monstrosity and quarter it. Almost 30 kg of meat, a bear hide, a large amount of guts, and yeah, there's still that wolf in my back yard waiting to be harvested as well. Holy smokes. I lug the bags back to Quonset, one by one, as I keep hearing a wolf howling uncomfortably close.

On my 5th of 6 runs the wolf finally finds me in front of Quonset. Confident that this won't be the first arrow I miss today I make quick work of this sad creature.

screen_156d09b6-ee6e-442e-8b11-25f88e5e4f73.thumb.png.602b4e0443a7a097d366f6f07182ba6c.png
Four.

I finish my runs, including the guts, of which I should now have how more than I can realisitically use in the forseeable future. I skin one of the wolves and take the meat, mostly for practice, but then a blizzard renders the other wolf inaccessible. But my day ain't done yet. When it is, 30 kg of bear are cut up outside, and the night is nearly over. With the venison from before the day went outright nuts I eat up and fall into bed.

Today was the second instance of being too lucky for this run to end well. But I've also finally adjusted to the new bow aiming, and I'm better at it than I ever used to be. Maybe ..... just maybe Norman is destined for greatness. Just one thing is clear: This boy's to young to be singing the blues.

Edited by jeffpeng

Guest jeffpeng

Norman 2 / Days 38 to 40 - Subterranean Homesick Alien

I sleep in. Like really in. It's past 4 pm when I get my war torn bones moving. Things on my plate: still a dead wolf outside, firewood is basically out, no coal, food is still a concern, even with a mountain of meat outside, since I lack Cooking V, and I need to craft new arrows. In any case I'm not going today, but I might do a short wrap around, gather a few sticks, check the trailer where the bear used to live, and maybe Silent Clearing for a few saplings. At least as long as daylight and weather permit. I'm not happy I'm hold up here so long.

The trailer offers no treasures, and I can't pick up the birch sapling since I forgot my hacksaw at Quonset. Well, later maybe. But a bit of firewood is welcome. Back at Quonset I read a page about my most important skill - accellerating pointy sticks so much they explode wildlife I direct them at - and cannibalize some of my torches. Then it's time to find a suitable spot to get some cooking done. 

screen_c1fb5d73-473e-4f38-bea1-960331d99d40.thumb.png.ddf0e3c83ebb29367b231f96ff573b1b.png
Maybe not the most intuitive place for a fire, but it seems safe.

I get my fire going, and bring over some bear meat. It happens what has to happen, and it results in a in an "unofficial pentakill". But it also mean's I'm down to 2 good arrows. Sigh. Moments later yet another wolf strolls in, and it joins the growing graveyard.

screen_c1243620-8021-48b3-a24d-8297c45da2f0.thumb.png.e84d307d750733e05cf61f01bb785898.png
Keep 'em pilin' up.

While cooking some bear I skin the wolves. All the parts for a wolfskin coat are here now. I just need them cured. I also finish yet another issue of Stay On Target tending my food at the fire, reaching Archery III, which should help me to rack up even more carnage. Sadly Cooking V is still a bit away, so I risk one kilogram of bear, just to stretch my reserves a bit.

When I'm done cooking, meaning I ran out of firewood, it's already 7 am the next day. My sleep cycle is seriously screwed. I cut up the only cured birch sapling I have around for a few new arrow shafts, but then decide to get at least a few hours of sleep. I look through my library of books and find a book about cooking I have 3 hours of reading left in. I put in the time, but sadly it's not quite enough. No time is lost as a blizzard rages outside. After crafting 3 new arrows the blizzard is still raging, I'm still out of firewood, and I'm out of water. I remember a sign reading "The Water is always free!" on the front door and chuckle.

Two hours later, almost parched, the blizzard passes, and I venture out in search of something to set ablaze. Mildly successful I scour the immediate vicinity, but upon returning to Quonset a wolf waits for me in the dark. Exhausted as I am and barely able to see it I dodge inside. I'm brave, I'm maybe even stupid, but I don't have a deathwish. Considering my options I settle to fire up inside, even if that means losing half of my fire duration. But I don't have enough to get a fire hot enough to stand next to it anyways. I cook my water, and not yet free of my risk for parasites eat a bar of chocolote I found yesterday, and go to sleep.

I wake up 10 am the next day, mostly rested, free of bellybugs, but hungry, so my first venture today is to get outside and eat more bear. The weather still sucks, and it's too cold and early to make any headway. I pull out another book about boiling formerly living protein and put in more time reading. Four hours later I'm fishined with this one as well, but I'm still not at Cooking V, the weather still sucks, and I'm still out of firewood. But I need to get something done!

Be it all as it may I decide to get going and head for the cabins near the Abandoned Lookout. Arriving I quickly shoot myself two fresh rabbits. With the skies having cleared I make a free fire behind the cabins and prepare my rabbit snack. The cabins yield nothing worth the effort, but cooking up the rabbits rewards me with Cooking V - finally! I shortly consider returning to Quonset to fill up on bear meat, but decide against it. If I do that now who knows when I'll leave this time. I will be back soon enough.

The trailer towards the transition mine is yet another bust. The maple saplings on the way to the lookout are welcome. My survival bow is already down to 46%, so it will need replacement eventually, and at the rate I am mawing through great bear's wildlife, sooner rather than later. At the lookout, except for the expected matches, there again is nothing to be found. At least the view is amazing.

screen_ebe0b833-1e8c-4e0b-a0a1-17709c77796a.thumb.png.113fb2800213ce1bb5c8730a95447389.png
What might those mountains in the far distance hold? Is this where you are, beloved underwear?

As a last order of business I get myself to the mine. I fling down my last can of beans for dinner and sleep. 

Guest jeffpeng

Norman 2 / Days 41 and 42 - God of the Gaps

I wake up at 6 am, well rested, hungry. I leave behind what I can since I will be be back the same way. I find the hacksaw, matches, quality tools and the stim. Nothing else worth mentioning. At the other end of the mine I make camp, stock up on water and new torches, and then throw myself, armed with a boiling can of tomato soup, again into my favorite place not to be: Pleasant Valley.

Finding my decidedly-not-home as cold and inhospitable as ever I take the short route to Thomsons, and sprain my ankle in the process. No time to deal with that I tape up and press on. I turn in at the Upper Falls cave and warm up. I shoot myself two rabbits, but actually miss three shots doing so - untypical for my recent surehand. While I prepare my rabbits my last ever instance of risk of intestinal parasites passes. After my snack I'm off to Thomson's.

The house on the far side of the town's bridge has 75% sardines, something I certainly didn't expect to find this late into the game, but nothing else that would get my blood rushing. I find a deer carcass on the river bank, which I gladly accept. 1.4 kilograms will get me through most of the day. After lunch I pluck a few new cattails. It's been a while since my count has gone up.

screen_7e982458-1a89-4d98-a678-c620e2b30934.thumb.png.ca51d2a346b173d26242c0499a42bfec.png
It's a nice day to .... search the town.

I search the small house and the cars, but aside from a nice influx of travel food - a granola, crackers and some jeef berky - there is only that guy that somehow has two pairs of shoes on him. Well that's darwinism for you, right there. Also three maple toques - Thomson's indeed is a very canadian town. I search the bigger house, and already think about how I am going to tell my audience that yet another search for my underwear has gone unanswered.

Suddenly music, rock music, to be precise, plays in my ears, and the warmth of the hug of a drinking buddy embraces my very mortal soul. Angels in lingerine descent from the heavens, and children laugh joyfully. "Your journey is at an end." a voice says, almost sings softly. It is the voice of .... Billy Idol. "Am... am I dead?" I utter. "No, you silly. It's me. The one you have been searching for all your life - all 41 days. The one that will keep your butt warm and your private parts private." Then Billy Idol disappears with a last flash of his lip, and as if bestowed on me by magic I hold a pair .... of thermal underwear in my hands.

screen_83c0be1e-4a26-4ae7-ad68-f410de558bf9.thumb.png.77b5c6cb565d5cd11b60c3f2b8876b45.png
So the holy grail wasn't a cup after all!

Praise the Lord! My journey is .... well not complete. But I've found the last piece I needed to become the ultimate survivor. Now everything that comes hinges on me, hard work and bears not hugging me too hard. The rest of the house and the community hall is not really worth to be mentioned in this epic, but how could anything I find hope to measure up to such majesty?

On a more serious note I trace through my log to see if there was any place in Pleasant Valley left that was worth my immediate attention. Turns out there isn't. I decide to go outside and see if I can't find something for lunch and maybe breakfast tomorrow. Sadly the deer I had spotted on the river earlier has moved on. I continue to venture out on the river, plucking more cattails. I score a rabbit, but continue. But for once in my life when I need a wolf there is none. At the point the river splits I make camp, warm up and cook my rabbit. I return travelling the open field, but nothing. But upon returning to Thomson's the deer is back. I drop my torch, approach it carefully - but startle it. Luckily for me the deer decides to run towards me rather than away from me, which turns out not to be the best life choice it ever made.

screen_7cc87a3d-1926-40e6-9afa-5e85bbc3cb46.thumb.png.9d0f4e109d72b463e613ee7d4deee1a8.png
Bluffed and got called: A deer.

I cook my dinner on the spot, and then make it to the Community Hall. Finally a wolf notices me, but too late. Terminally exhausted I dodge into the building, loaded with enough food for the entire next day.

When I get up the next day the blizzard I have been missing all day yesterday has finally arrived. I use the time to fix my clothes, first and foremost my new thermal underwear. The blizzard passes around 4 pm, and I give the gas station, which I forgot to loot yesterday, a short visit. Glad that I did I find a sewing kit, some lamp fuel and some stump remover of questionable usefulness. But then it's time to pack up my things at the Comminty Hall. I decide to drop the leftover venison outside when the wolf from yesterday barks at me. Not a good decision.

screen_be9d2c39-11e5-47d3-9ace-f893743afbc4.thumb.png.8860c77752a0b0d7d4229e90b2cef9e2.png
Wasn't born this way: A wolf.

I dodge back inside, and sleep an hour, but then it's time to go. However I have trouble deciding what real life weather condition this is supposed to reflect.

screen_33564320-b576-4456-a105-ebd9730746c1.thumb.png.484dd4c1726b7634e4f57821c83f6400.png
Snowy? Clear skies? Fog? Who said one can't have everything at once!

Shortly after things clear up and I make a free fire with the last remaining daylight. With the local wolf rotting away I was so brave to bring a kilogram of venison. I hope I don't run into the bear. Halfway to the mine I make camp for an hour in a cave and take a short nap to warm up. When I get going again night has fallen, and a wolf not far from my cave is alerting me of its presence. I consider leaving the venison behind, but decide against it. It doesn't take long for the wolf to find me, but I stay the course with it in tow, freezing my way to the mine. The wolf never gets close.

When I reach the other end of the cave a blizzard is raging outside, which I take as a cue to call it a day. I put on enough fire for two cans of water, finish my venison, and get to bed. It was a successful excursion. More successful that I had dared to hope. I finally have my knickers, and I made an impressive net positive on travel food while doing so.

Thanks Billy.

Guest jeffpeng

Norman 2 / Days 43 to 45 - Errand Pilgrim

Waking up at 6 am I hear the sound of blizzard, but upon checking it's just very windy - and appropriately cold. I decide to give myself a bit of time in the warm mine instead of venturing out into the maximum cold of an early morning, but after reading two hours about how to derive heat and light from carbo-oxygenic combustion I'm on my way in light fog and still winds. To the log sort.

screen_40f85942-b4d1-4e57-8b9f-7a339367bc1f.thumb.png.439df6fd1b8f5a7d861cb1211a12a04c.png
Yo, listen up here's a story, about a little guy, that lives in a blue world ...

Just getting to the trailer depletes me of my body heat, so I turn in for an hour of rest. Moving all this stuff around really taxes me. Shortly after I'm at my designated waypoint, and I get to lay off some weight. Sorting through my things my bow strikes me as due to replaced at 26%. Also I'm down to 3 arrows again. I will take time for that at Quonset - where I plan to stay a few days. I've still got heaps of food there, and my wolfskin coat is also due very soon. I get going and get there in no time.

After snacking two kilograms of bear my belly is restored to almost full capacity. I get inside, and contemplate my options. The wolf pelts will take a few more days, so will my maple saplings, and I'm out of birch. I recall I have left one at Silent Clearing, and also there should be one or two more up the hill - on the other side of the abandoned lookout. After reading a page I'm off again.

Shortly after setting out the skies clear, and I get to enjoy a free fire. I must remark how well Norman 2 managed to preserve his matches. Between what I have on me, Quonset, the Log Sort and the Ravine I've got easily 200 matches stashed. After collecting the birch sapling at Silent Clearing I make, brazen as I am, camp at the bear den. I fully expect my hairy adversary to be out for a few more days.

screen_3b1e1fa4-69fb-4c70-a56b-3b390d531c5d.thumb.png.91551c247ff804d05204c015f7ae6e23.png
Having a picknick in a bear den.

I find two more maples, but no birch saplings. Disappointing, to say the least. I slide back down the hill, and fire up outside of Quonset to cook some more bear and create a stash of water for the next days. While I cook away a blizzard swoops in, but I try to keep the fire going as long as I can. If it really is secure ... this is the test I guess. Sadly ... it's not. Nothing else to do I book a few hours of rest.

The next morning I'm still almost two days short of being able to start my wolfskin coat. How to fill the day? I consider spending a day fishing, but the one thing I have in abundance at Quonset .... is food. I decide my time is best spent hauling more resources to the log sort, and then maybe drive an excursion to find more birch saplings. I note how much my pace suddenly has changed. There still is much to explore of the world, but since I have found everything I need, and everything worth finding is mostly not decaying away, the urgency has suddenly left my considerations. Sure, it would be nice to find a can of coffee or two more, but it's nothing that will change my game. So, while I never was the kind to sit idle and pass time, reading a good book once in a while is something definitively going to happen more.

screen_ec515c0a-cafd-4ab7-afdb-35d65292f3eb.thumb.png.6ab80827a64b4daa12da3708377656d6.png
Then suddenly .... suprise blizzard!

Approaching the log sort a blizzard descends upon me and spills all over my plans. Looks like I'm going to get those books faster than I had hoped for. But first I take the chance and fix my attire up a little bit, and take a two hour nap - and miraculously: while I do the blizzard passes. With all that free time I decide to push some things a little bit further towards the ravine - to the trailer below the bridge - and maybe make a birch sapling or two on the way.

Getting cold I turn to the nearby cabin to warm up. I snipe myself two rabbits and dodge inside to do my work in the warm. Afterwards I cook my bounty. It should suffice for the evening. Two litres of water, and I make my last move for the day in falling night. Sliding down a ledge I sprain my wrist, and it will serve to save the life of the wolf that approaches me shortly after. All it gets is a torch to the face. Then I turn in at the trailer, chug down a can of dog food I found at the Community Center in Pleasant Valley, and sleep.

15% beef jerky for breakfast when I get up at around 7am. The outside sounds daunting, so I read a bit to start the day. Outside my prayers for birch saplings are finally answered - four brand new ones should get me through a few weeks. The skies are clear, so I maglens my fire for the day and warm up in the blistering cold of the beautiful morning.

screen_3d3a61a7-87bb-4c42-8bfe-2255f0e9fce5.thumb.png.a67ef00606592a9d3be44b17a3cf138e.png
I almost feel like skiing.

Shortly after I make camp yet again, and stone myself two rabbits, mindful of my bow having deteriorated to 13%. I pass the burned down cabin, and the creek, and make it all the way to rockfall - but have no luck with more saplings. Crows alert me to the carcass at the nearby clearing, and so I make camp there yet again, but not before spraining my ankle. Shukz. After eating my 1.4 kilograms of free protein and collecting the hide for good measure thick fog has descended upon the area. I tape up my ankle and make headway towards the fishing camp.

I arrive despite reduced visibility, and since it is unusually warm I keep going along the road. Near the tooth a wolf spots me, and I divert onto the ice, with little sense of direction, and I'm in serious danger of getting lost with a wolf in tow. But then the fog lifts, and I realize I'm on the right track, and also somehow have managed to navigate the frozen bay inbetween all those wolves. I reach Quonset safe and sound, and even a wolf in front barks me welcome.

I dodge inside, but when I emerge on the other side the wolf is gone. My wolf pelts are at 98%. So nothing to be done this evening, but tomorrow I should be ready. I light up at the previous spot and get some bear cooking. After three hours all my bear is cooked, but also the wind is keeping my fire reduced. The wolf returns several times, but bolts each time I aim at him. The exercise ends in me nursing the fire for some more time, but eventually the storm grows up to be a blizzard, and I call it a day.

Guest jeffpeng

Norman 2 / Days 46 to 50 - Potato of the couch

I skip a few hours of sleep to get up early. Not much going out today if I have my way - but a lot of crafting. As expected the only time I leave my makeshift home is to gather three kilograms of frozen bear burger at the end of my shift. I eat, bring my knife back into shape and sleep.

The next day starts with more work at 0600 sharp. Still 20 hours to go - easily two days. I don't get a clear sky all day, and when I'm done working a blizzard is raging. I sleep to hours to let it pass and then cook my water in the cover of a windy night, sharpening my knife yet again. It's post 2 am when I am done.

Day three of my crafting extravaganza begins at 6 am yet again, after a short night. 7 more hours to go. Around noon, with yet another blizzard howling over my head, I have the fruit of my labor in my hands.

screen_2fbc1f9c-2a5c-495c-9d72-1647e35980ca.thumb.png.bb792c4cd4b464c1cf30456d7a74bdc0.png
So much work, and then it doesn't even have a zipper: my new wolfskin coat.

But I'm not done. I need a new bow, I need more arrows. So I get to work on the bow, weary of cabin fever peeking over my shoulder. I get the bow done before night falls.

Day four. I get three new arrows done, but the other saplings are still a few hours away. Technically I'm good to go, but with all that bear meat still here I decide I want to try and stretch my stay for one more day. I read an hour inside, then manage to get an hour done outside in the tractor, before I dodge back in and repeat, all to stave off cabin fever as long as I can. To conclude the day I get 6 more arrow shafts done, but then it's too dark.

I wake up much too early on day 5, and the only thing I can find somewhat worth doing is tear up some old trail boots for a sheet of leather. After one more hour of sleep and an hour reading about how to further the extinction of marine wildlife I pack up, leaving some clothes behind, including one of my mackinaws. But there's another blizzard raging, so I make some more arrow shafts while I wait, and even get a snare done because why not. That's when cabin fever risk finally kicks in - grounded by a blizzard. Perfect. But after an hour even that passes, and after a final fill of bear meat - I leave 9 kilograms behind, plus a full uncooked wolf - I'm finally on my way.

I turn in for an hour at the log sort. I load up even more - a total of just shy of 55kg. Far beyond what I am comfortable to lug around. But it should be fine until I reach the trailer where my other stuff is waiting. Again I take a break at the cabin on the way. Shortly after leaving again the last bit of bear meat I had packed for the way is gone. It's amazing how many calories this guy burns. Then again: he's like a professional mover.

At the trailer I reduce my load to 50kg and reprioritize. While I would really like to stay the night, cabin fever gives me incentive to push just a little bit further. One more hour of rest at train unloading, then I'm off to the ravine despite the late hour and being increasingly tired. Funny, I think, as the aurora is lighting up the sky. I had considered waiting at the lower cinder hills mine to ride the elevator. Well, maybe another time. 

screen_1391d6ed-ad73-43f4-aefb-cfbcb5cc277a.thumb.png.fbb0b052020918307b353c2098b006a6.png
Just like one of the magic scratch books I used to like so much when I was a kid.

Returning home turns out to be a costly endeavour as I'm freezing soon, but refuse to spend a match for a day almost over. I reach the cave - the one next to the train tracks, not my cave - thoroughly frozen. In the back I lay out my bedroll, munch my sardines I had found in Thomson's Crossing, and get some well deserved sleep.

Edited by jeffpeng

Guest jeffpeng

Norman 2 / Days 51 to 54 - Almost heaven, Great Bear Island

I get up at around 7am, and without further delay make it to my cave. Back there I find some moose meat, still good, and sort out my inventory. My firewood reserves here are less-than-less-than-ideal, and food isn't also packed for a spontaneous banquette. So that's something to brush up on over the next few days. Sadly most of day 51 is lost to a blizzard. I still make it to the dam in falling night, but that's it.

The next day starts with me cooking up some of the ancient moose meat that's still frozen in front of the dam. Limited firewood is a problem. I look through my log to figure out what places are still untouched here, and decide I'll give the logging area a try. I find another birch sapling, and a good amount of firewood, but the weather is unusually cold even for this late into the game, so I reach the logging camp seriously frozen. 50 days in my expectations for loot are reduced, which makes me celebrate a good bar of chocolate and even 42% sardines even more. I also find a perfectly new prybar stuck in the snow. 

After two hours of rest in the burned down cabin I'm back whence I came. I will explore the area further, but first I have a bit of crafting to do. At the river access I make a few more cattails I didn't collect on until now. Thanks to that my reserves now total at over a hundred cattails. That's quite a lot for a game you haven't starved a day. Near the trailers a wolf invites me to dinner, and I cannot refuse.

screen_a186a0ad-270e-4c55-ba16-348f4ed20083.thumb.png.199d8c8f976843d4744c1081b359389f.png
Probably had a different main course in mind: A wolf.

After dressing up my considerate friend I pick up the moose hide from the trailer, and retreat back into the yard of the Carter Dam to cook more of the moose. It's past 3 am when I'm done cooking. I get inside, and sleep a few hours, but at first light (well, technically, since it's still pitch black dark on my screen) I get working on my satchel. Deciding between the satchel and the cloak isn't easy, but the satchel will aid my exploits much more, and with a wolfskin coat I'm adequately protected for now. I even get my rabbit skin hat done before night falls again. Next morning it's the same procedure, just with my deeskin pants. I finish up successfully just in time.

screen_dcbf4e17-9481-41ef-87da-43ca0d6bfcdf.thumb.png.842f84b7ad3f44f849610ed8e07f07e4.png
The official "Mad Max of the North" collection.

All that's missing is either a bearskin coat or a moosehide cloak. I've discussed many times the pros and cons of both, but without having immediate access to either of them .... let's postpone that discussion for later. I leave, pack up some of the moose meat, and head for the ravine. I don't want to tempt cabin fever yet again. There it's dinner and sleep. 

Guest jeffpeng

Norman 2 / Days 55 to 57 - The eigth circle of Hell

I start the day finishing my last book about archery. 

screen_5e8af6ba-d98b-4010-8606-3d887488799c.thumb.png.4bb5ff7dc3060b69be14828d4ded1875.png
Actually not totally bad when it comes to shoot stuff.

That's still a long way to go until level 5, but I'm getting there. I think about what would be a good place to go. Pleasant Valley is pretty much done, although I still have a bigger stash at the farm house. Mountain town has a few corners I haven't visited, and again two stashes there. Coastal Highway has a stash, yes, but is otherwise done. Desolation point is done, period. Forlorn Muskeg isn't that interesting to begin with. Mystery lake has a few corners left, most notably around Clear Cut and towards the Unnamed Pond. Hushed River Valley is probably worth a visit at some point for a few extra saplings. But the two elephants in the room, however, are: Broken Railroad and .... Bleak Inlet. I think, and decide to give at least the upper part of Bleak Inlet a try. So, that seems settled. However before making my way into the fray I want to get a few more arrows done. I have 1 broken arrow plus two arrow heads at the dam, which would make for a total of 8. 

I make it to the dam, and get my arrows done. Afterwards clear skies allow me a free fire. I make it back to my cave, spend an hour warming up with a page out of a book about making things so hot they get hotter on their own, and set off towards the gorge. Reaching it I realize: I've never been down there. No rope. Of course. Sigh. So I go back to my cave, and pick up the rope that's stored there and make my way again. Man, what you don't have for brains .....

At the bottom of the ravine I make camp and cut up the carcass. I don't want to venture into Bleak Inlet less than perfectly rested, so I'll stay the night in the small cave down here. Having brought a bit of moose should make my stay rather comfortable. A last page for the night, and then I'm off to sleep.

I start the day with yet another page and a few extra minutes of sleep. It's 9 am when I throw myself into the fray.

screen_b0031906-3e79-44c4-a2bf-e3147639ca4f.thumb.png.1b4854d01e9fe10011982f03e6ae1e38.png
"Bleak Inlet" was falsely translated from a first nation word meaning "Bad Idea".

With -16°C FL my time is limited. I know from a previous visit in another life of a cave to the east, which is my first destination. Just getting there depletes all my body heat and then some, so I warm up an hour cuddled inside my bedroll. Then it's showtime and the battle doesn't turn out in my favor. Four instances of blood loss ravage me. I take three wolves with me, but in the end all I can do is stim up and retreat. After sleeping 10 hours I look at my gear. What cost - the amount of damage I sustained is staggering. Down to 41% on my rabbit hat, 75% on my deerskin pants, 63% on my boots and 82% on my wolfskin coat. I'm missing 4 arrows.

I find 2 wolves right where our battle took place and two arrows in them, one wolf must have gotten away wounded. I want to cut them up, but strong winds force me back to my cave. Two hours later the situation is still unchanged, and I make due with hiding out in my cave, cuddled up in my bedroll, until an hour later even that doesn't suffice anymore. Time to make a fire. I've lost 5°C warmth bonus in my encounter, and it shows. At around 8 am I venture back out, dump all my fire into a fire behind a tree and piece by piece tear some of the wolfes apart to fuel my aching body. 

I think about cutting my losses, but that would make this monumental expenditure of resources a total waste. I trigger a remaining wolf not far from my position - but he takes off. Did I actually get 4 of them? It wouldn't make this a success, but it could be my ticket out after actually accomplishing my mission. After hiding out at the fire past noon I make it to the tower. 

screen_4f15883d-6e88-4a86-b43e-83af78722c08.thumb.png.16bbac1ac6430e7f16b82e58c0d98100.png
At least it's warm.

I find nothing worth noting except a new issue of Stay On Target. Cold and exhausted I sleep an hour. I get going again, but the winds don't let up all day. I find the code at the control hut, but nothing else that would help me in my predicament. Again I rest an hour and then make it back to the lookout as fast as I came, and decide to call it a day here. I need to rest before making my escape tomorrow. Hopefully my furry adversaries do not replenish their numbers too fast. I read 3 hours, and then it's bedtime.

What a mess.

Edited by jeffpeng