TLD Fireplace Mode

Guest jeffpeng

Guest jeffpeng

Hello!

This is a weird one.  But please: stick with me for a moment. I'm only half serious with this. But the half I'm serious I'm really serious. So maybe 75% serious overall.

So ... as a bit of a preface: my wife is probably the biggest TLD fan that actually doesn't play the game. She likes to watch when I play it, and she keeps remarking about how amazing the sound design of the game is, and how she could listen to the noises it makes for hours. Well, if she wouldn't regularly fall asleep while watching, but I guess that's mostly due to my energizing persona.

Now I sit here, on top of the Summit on a fresh Interloper, and I kinda got surprised by a sub-blizzard and need to nurse my fire to avoid freezing. And I think: I'm playing Fireplace Simulator 2019. That's when it hit me that actually having a semi-interactive screen saver of an infinite fire at a few selectiable locations (the fireplace in an creeky old house, a campfire in an echo-y cave, a campfire in a windy forest at night) with the appropiate background noises playing and maybe the occasional random sound of someone tearing up a branch, fixing a piece of cloth, cooking a meal, someone taking a slurp from a cup of tea (Ahhh!), or putting some more firewood on .... maybe wouldn't be a half bad idea! (Just don't let Mackenzie complain about being hungry all the time ....)

I mean I know at least one person that would probably put that on for lack of a real fireplace. And come on: whats better at convincing that you are a good and caring spouse than to have a TLD fire place simulation running on the TV the next time the in-laws have a sit in on christmas? Please make that happen :D

I like this, My issue with the current fire in game is that it's so high pitched! Cooking meat used to make the nicest, bubbliest popping sounds and now it's super high pitched too. 

To be clear, I have autism (sensitivity to certain sounds an issue for me, particularly high pitched, Old CRT televisions make the worst sound when on but no picture or audio) so maybe it only bugs me but I wouldnt be able to fall asleep to that pitch. I like low rumbly fires that occasionally pop. :)

Guest jeffpeng
1 hour ago, MarrowStone said:

sensitivity to certain sounds an issue for me, particularly high pitched, Old CRT televisions make the worst sound when on but no picture or audio

That is related to (some form of) autism? I've been suffering from this all my life. Hu. Interesting.

But in general .... yeah, a bit more mellow on the fire would actually be nice.

Edited by jeffpeng

Guest jeffpeng
9 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

This isn't quite the same but if you start up a Custom game and set it for 4x time dilation, your fires will last a VERY long time.  At 4x, time passes at the rate of 3:1 compared to real time, so a 12-hour fire in-game will last for 4 real-life hours.

That isn't a half bad idea actually. At Pilgrim you won't even get eaten by a bear. 

16 hours ago, jeffpeng said:

That is related to (some form of) autism? I've been suffering from this all my life. Hu. Interesting.

But in general .... yeah, a bit more mellow on the fire would actually be nice.

Not exactly, Im sure everyone hates high pitched noises,  like nails on a chalkboard. For me, certain sounds just feel amplified and invasive, CRTs, florescent lights, and crowds bother me for example, not all the sounds that bother me are high pitched.

There's also other things people can have that make them dislike certain sounds (misophonia might make people hate the eating sounds in this game). 

Anyways, I love this fireplace idea. In fact, we have the tools to actually make it! The video size would be huge but on pc you can get recording software and record the fire in the house for 4 hours, loop it once, then add whatever sounds you want on top of it. Bonus points if you record a blizzard coming and leaving. 

Guest jeffpeng
2 hours ago, MarrowStone said:

For me, certain sounds just feel amplified and invasive, CRTs, florescent lights, and crowds bother me for example, not all the sounds that bother me are high pitched.

(Very off topic ^^) I can check all those boxes. Another example is the sound chalk makes when you write on a chalkboard. Not screeching, or loud, just the smooth, hissing sound the chalk makes when you grind it along the board. Prevented me from sitting in the front rows all my school carreer, and was probably the major factor why I disliked school altogether - which of course nobody believed. 

Then ... yeah. I could hear old televisions from rooms away and it drove me nuts at night when someone left theirs on. I can sometimes hear power supplies switching, and I threw out more than one graphics card because the one thing I cannot take is coil whine. About crowds .... they do bother me to some extend. But the worst part is that I can literally not understand anyone as soon as more than 3-4 people are talking.

I always thought I am just weird that way .... because I honestly am a rather weird person in general.

just record own gameplay with  loaded fire and make a loop from recorded gameplay.  Where is problem to do that. You dont need help from developers. I think static burning fire, with flying parts in space and howling blizzard from outside will make a good screen saver. You just need to set starting  fully loaded fire and then set good camera angle. then sit, wait and record.

Edited by Moll

Guest jeffpeng
1 minute ago, Moll said:

just record own gameplay with  loaded fire and make a loop from recorded gameplay.  Where is problem to do that. You dont need help from developers.

Even if not applying to me problem with that might be not everyone knows how to do that. Plus loop is loop, not truly randomized. There is problem.

Guest jeffpeng
7 hours ago, yollarbenibekler said:

I like this idea. Better than a screensaver. But you should be able to do certain actions like adding firewood, boiling tea etc. just for pleasure. Maybe a little room customization with various objects to make the interior warm and cozy.

SimDark? :D

Loop of recorded gameplay is the only way.

1. Devs wont waste their time for this.

2. Screen saver which takes several hundrets of MB (basiaclly chunk of working game)? Verry effective.

Just no.

But i support simple loop of fire in stove. Or looop of fireplace. Small memory size, thats OK.

Guest jeffpeng
On 11/12/2019 at 10:26 PM, Moll said:

Loop of recorded gameplay is the only way.

1. Devs wont waste their time for this.

2. Screen saver which takes several hundrets of MB (basiaclly chunk of working game)? Verry effective.

Just no.

But i support simple loop of fire in stove. Or looop of fireplace. Small memory size, thats OK.

I guess the one headed board of the proposal committee has decided. Still, thank you for considering. I mean I didn't even get to the idea of actually cutting out part of the game to make a merely several hundred MB small program out of this. I would have just used to game for that. I'm such a dummy sometimes 😞

You mentioned it as screeen saver. It should be transferable among devices. And doing that with unity is much harder for sure, than creating video loop.

you need part of game, because i expected you want to keep same mechanic, feel and graphic design like ingame. Not sure if you can keep style with transfer into a simple flash app.

Guest jeffpeng
8 hours ago, Moll said:

You mentioned it as screeen saver. It should be transferable among devices. And doing that with unity is much harder for sure, than creating video loop.

you need part of game, because i expected you want to keep same mechanic, feel and graphic design like ingame. Not sure if you can keep style with transfer into a simple flash app.

*sigh My idea was to actually use the fully fledged game for that that runs a scene much like the title screen. Why would I want to transfer that between devices? Plus who in the world is still using flash for anything these days?

Some people just want to see the internet burn.