Does mapping cross games?

Deseoso

What I mean by this is simple. I'm in a survival game and I have almost fully mapped Mystery Lake. If I die and then start a new game, do I lose the map I have already uncovered?

I ask because I think that from a realism point of view you would need to lose the mapping you already did but this is a game at the end of the day and I think it would be much better if any mapping you do in one game should carry over to the next, at least on the lower two difficulty levels. Especially as the mapping, though necessary, feels like a real chore to do.

The Faithful Cartographer Achievement is associated with the mapping task, so I think it's fair that it be completed within a single run.  That said, not everything has to be mapped (the achievement description is somewhat misleading in this respect).  There is a list of locations in the thread discussing this achievement (pinned thread in this subforum) that needs to be carefully followed to ensure the achievement unlocks.  (It may need an update with the map changes made with the last update, though).

@turtle777

I've been working on Faithful Cartographer too...(I just died from stepping on an instant kill spot with only four regions to go).  I also have a lot of self imposed challenges/restrictions to make it extra difficult.  :D 

I've met with tragic fates for both my two earnest attempts at the achievement.  One was getting stuck in the terrain (which sucked but it was admittedly my own fault).  This second time, which ended today... I found an instant kill spot (with only four regions left to fully map).  It is momentarily frustrating to have to start from scratch each time, but all in all I'm enjoying my more "extreme" version of Faithful Cartographer.

:coffee::fire:
oops, I misread the last bit of your post.
Edited to match the context. 

Edited by ManicManiac