Another Boss Fight

Dougie

Just started # 3 and am getting annoyed by the TW boss fight where the blue flares and bullets do nothing to get back to civilization.  I know there must be a fight of some kind, but doing this over and over again, changing my route is up there with the bear thing. Dropping the victim and getting your weapons off the wheel in Xbox is more than murder...

10 minutes ago, Raphael van Lierop said:

The Timberwolves are not "bosses". They just have a pack morale system -- when you break the morale, the whole pack disperses. For a while. 

Not sure what you mean about the "bear thing". 

I use “boss fight” where the odds are against the player in games that have multiple adversaries against one person.  The “bear thing” was my reference to spearing the bear in # 2 in the cave.  I’m still looking forward to play #3, but I can’t keep defining “insanity” . I’m not a spry 20 something any more...

12 minutes ago, Raphael van Lierop said:

Not sure what you mean about the "bear thing". 

If I recall, the OP had a thread a while back asking for help, saying they were unable to complete the Old Bear Quest in Redux Ep 2. I think they are trying to equate the encounters with Timbers to multiple Boss Fights, while I would consider them mob fights, or maybe Hero mobs. (Yes, I tend to think in terms of aRPG hack & slash games.)

@Dougie 

Use the blue flare to keep them backed up, back up so your back is against a large rock formation or building wall, ect. Or anywhere else they cannot flank you. They will flank you if you leave your backside exposed to them. Once your flanks are protected, you can line up shots with the rifle or revolver. Kill one, the whole pack loses morale and runs off, at least for a time. Going out in the open to harvest the carcass leaves your flanks exposed again while you harvest... I don't recommend doing it unless you have killed the entire pack. Using a place with a "funnel" that protects your rear end and sides is an excellent way to pick them off, one by one. Then build a good fire, harvest, cook, and eat, make water and drink. It's not impossible to deal with Timbers, it just takes some trials, and using what's around you to your best strategic defense. The odds are really against them, if you use good strategy, which, yes, did take a few trials for me to figure out. Once I knew how they behaved and attacked/retreated, it wasn't too bad.

The 4th attempt, I actually wounded 2 as there was 2 sets of blood spatter, but they cane back and finished me off because I was wounded myself and very cold.  4 more times I lit blue flares, threw them, waved them, and unloaded bullets but they kept on me...😳

6 minutes ago, Dougie said:

The 4th attempt, I actually wounded 2 as there was 2 sets of blood spatter, but they cane back and finished me off because I was wounded myself and very cold.  4 more times I lit blue flares, threw them, waved them, and unloaded bullets but they kept on me...😳

Don't throw the flares. Hold one, use it to hold the pack off, and back up to a wall or rock formation so they can't flank you.

• Like 1

• Hinterland
47 minutes ago, Dougie said:

I use “boss fight” where the odds are against the player in games that have multiple adversaries against one person.  The “bear thing” was my reference to spearing the bear in # 2 in the cave.  I’m still looking forward to play #3, but I can’t keep defining “insanity” . I’m not a spry 20 something any more...

Nor am I a spry 20 anymore... ;) 

Marine Flares will keep the Timberwolves at bay, as @ThePancakeLady suggests here. The trick with TWolves is to use a combination of tools. Anything you throw at them, or hit them with, will reduce their pack Morale to a degree. Ex. Shooting at them (even if you don't hit) will reduce Morale. Shooting + hitting will reduce it even more. Even hitting them with a Stone will reduce Morale a bit. The pack behaves as a unit in a way, so you don't have to break an individual one, you can chip away at their morale while dealing with anyone that comes near you. 

Keep in mind that smaller packs (2-3) have less Morale than larger packs (4-5) and therefore are easier to "break". And, also keep in mind that the packs will regroup over time. 

Sorry that it's frustrating for you. This is a new mechanic with a learning curve -- hopefully you stick with it until you figure it out. Also, there's no shame in playing using an Experience Mode that is more focused on Exploration (ex. Green Survivor), where the survival obstacles and wildlife hostility is tuned to be less threatening. Good luck!

• Like 2

The strategy I used was as soon as I saw the pack icon show, I'd drop the body and look for something I could "put my back against".  Ideally, then I would only need to cover a 180 degree arc vs 360.  I drew my revolver and would wait for one to charge and blast away.  On more than one occasion, I would even kill one.

Great thing about WM is that you can quick save right before the fight (or even load an earlier save) and you can plan your strategy then.

• Like 1