Need some advice on challenge mission scenario

RandomP1ayer

Playing Archivist challenge.

Got Pleasant Valley and Timberwolf Mt. left to collect and challenge accomplished.  I cant really say why I left these two regions for last, but it kinda seemed logical to think of that area as a large three location map.  Been waffling on which way to approach this final assault so I am currently holed up in the Ravine taking a little respite from the constant onslaught of those damn wolves.    So what to do?  As I contemplate each of the locations, they all have their bear bosses patrolling nearby and plenty of wolves too.   so regardless, gonna need to be geared up,  healed, fed, hydrated, armed and unencumbered...  lol    

ok, then, Winding River access thru the Cave system, enter PV.  Work my way to TWM transition?  assuming I survive to come back to PV, then hit the C Store and finally the transmission tower for the victory?  Or, battle my way back across CH to transit to PV via the cave network exiting practically above the C Store.  Hit that then the transmission tower with the final final push for the win thru TWM?  

so much open area to cover and not much cover.  this challenge has taxed my game play, the bears just seem to appear outta no where, I dont seem to get jumped any where near this much when I am playing in the sand box.  and dont get me started about that wind... gawd i hate that wind...

let me know what you think, please and thank you

Hm. This is a tough one.

If you're entering from Winding River...

• Immediately on entering PV, follow the carve out NW until you reach the road. Turn SW and follow it down to Signal Hill.
    • This will take you through wolf country, but should skirt you around bears. I think.
  • Once you have that record, you can either stay the night on Signal Hill or, if you're feeling particularly ballsy, you can scale down the cliffs (rope or mountain goat) and head for the farmhouse to rest and recover.
  • From there, head straight north across the open plains to the farmstead buildings (this should give you the widest possible view for wolves & bears), then cut over to the C Store. Chillax and grab that record.
  • When you're ready to head to TWM, take the northern route around the cliffs - don't waste the time and energy re-crossing the zone just to climb the rope.
    • The one location to be very cautious of is right at the edge of the northern cliffs - there is a potential bear cave hidden behind a couple of large rocks that you may miss coming from east to west.
  • If you still have the energy (or coffee) at this point, I'd say make the climb and push for the Mountaineer's Hut. Otherwise, chill at Preppers for a night and recover.
  • From Mountaineer's, it all depends on how you're planning to handle it - and what the weather is like. If you want to make it to Chasm Cave ASAP and camping out there to wait for the aurora, then I'd suggest possibly skirting SE and heading to Forest Cave, then slipping into the ravine from the far side and making your way down. If you're running extra light on gear and need someplace warmer, I'd recommend making the trip through the NW route and resting up in Cave of Engines before making the push to Chasm Cave... though this does mean that your last dash is through wolf territory during an aurora.

Not sure if it helps, but that'd be my suggestion :)  It's easier to grab both of the PV locations and then end at TWM than it would be to grab one PV, make the run into TWM, then come back to PV.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/6/2019 at 8:10 PM, Martin Prchal said:

I hate it when the darn wolves just nibble at all of your clothes, so you have 5 or 6 items that should be repaired but nothing that really needs it. I wish they would just trash one or two items.

...damn things ate the hat off my head...

22 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

How are the archives coming along?

Thanks for asking! 

I decided to approach my goal via CH.  Once I left the Ravine, I pretty much traversed CH without incident accessed PV via the mine network and easily retrieved the record from the convenience store.  Subsequently made it to Pensive Pond where I was menaced by a moose.  I skirted around the old road where I had my one and only wolf encounter on the PV map leading up to the transmission tower.  Got that one without incident as well.  Ended up crossing the map straight across, had the revolver out in anticipation but didn't run into any trouble as I made it to the hatch in record time.  I ended up transitioning to TWM a few hours before dawn and by the time I got to the mountaineers hut had a full on aurora going.  I went for broke and shimmied down the mountain side just to the left of the bear cave sustaining a few sprains on the way down and ended up hobbling past the cargo containers  to the cave just in time to recover the final file and complete the challenge for the victory!

18 hours ago, RandomP1ayer said:

Thanks for asking! 

I decided to approach my goal via CH.  Once I left the Ravine, I pretty much traversed CH without incident accessed PV via the mine network and easily retrieved the record from the convenience store.  Subsequently made it to Pensive Pond where I was menaced by a moose.  I skirted around the old road where I had my one and only wolf encounter on the PV map leading up to the transmission tower.  Got that one without incident as well.  Ended up crossing the map straight across, had the revolver out in anticipation but didn't run into any trouble as I made it to the hatch in record time.  I ended up transitioning to TWM a few hours before dawn and by the time I got to the mountaineers hut had a full on aurora going.  I went for broke and shimmied down the mountain side just to the left of the bear cave sustaining a few sprains on the way down and ended up hobbling past the cargo containers  to the cave just in time to recover the final file and complete the challenge for the victory!

I saved Pleasant Valley and Timber-wolf Mountain for last as well. How did you avoid the aurora bear that's always there? Are they still afraid of flare guns? I decided to just hang out in the cave where it's located since it's actually warmer than mountaineer's hut and I wouldn't have to pass the bear. I had to wait for two weeks for an aurora. Food and firewood was the only real issue.

5 hours ago, MarrowStone said:

I saved Pleasant Valley and Timber-wolf Mountain for last as well. How did you avoid the aurora bear that's always there? Are they still afraid of flare guns? I decided to just hang out in the cave where it's located since it's actually warmer than mountaineer's hut and I wouldn't have to pass the bear. I had to wait for two weeks for an aurora. Food and firewood was the only real issue.

To the left of the bear cave there's a lookout area looking down on the clearing near the the cave with the laptop.  If you go further left, around the rock outcropping, if memory serves is an anchor rock for a mountaineering rope.  I didn't have a rope at the time, being loaded up with food just in case i didnt make it down the steep slope before sunrise.  I managed to avoid the bear but crouch walking around the rock out cropping and then duck walking down the steep cliff side by traversing left to right with a series of "controlled" falls until I reached the bottom, pretty bruised and sprained for certain!  I hobbled as fast as my sprained limbs would allow straight away to the cave containing the lap top without further incident and with sufficient time remaining before day break and retrieved the final archive.  

• Like 1