Accessories

Timmytwothumbs

All we have right now for accessories is the ear wrap and the moose satchel. I think it would be great to have a few more options. Some ideas I have and others I've seen mentioned before:

Headlamp- a wearable flashlight on the head.  available in coal mines maybe?

Ski goggles- provides a windproofing bonus.

Climbing harness- allows for stamina regeneration at any point during climb

Holster- removes gun from bag and allows for extra carry capacity only for the gun. Maybe two different kinds one for a revolver and one for a rifle. Maybe this could be crafted.

Arrow quiver- holds 20 arrows and allows for extra carry capacity but only for arrows. Can be crafted as well

Lucky rabbits foot- can be crafted and makes you luckier at starting fires, catching fish, etc. Only while wearing it.

Reading glasses- allows you to read 25% faster only while wearing. 

Snow Cleats/Spikes- removes any risk of sprain.

Some of these might seem OP but remember we can only have 2 accessories at a time. Having options like these though could really enhance our gameplay and give us options in our play style. Let me know what you all think and if you have any suggestions feel free to add to the list.

• Upvote 5

Ski goggles and snow masks made out of birchbark, which protect against a new affliction "Snow Blindness". The affliction could be affected by a timer about how much time you're outdoors during clear conditions during the day time. It's a real thing, and ski goggles with their UV coating and crafted snow goggles (two birch bark and a cured gut, requires a knife or hatchet) can protect against it.

Here's an example of a snow mask made from bone from Alaska:

goggles-400x282.jpg.9e2341735aff17bb77f5d92f1b5b550e.jpg

Snow masks have been known to be made from birch bark as well, which is already available in game. I think it could be a very cool addition to the game.

• Upvote 4

@Timmytwothumbs,
I agree it might be nice to have some more options for the accessory slot... but as for what those would or should be, I'm not so sure.  That part is a tricky question...

I don't really have any gripes about how the game is now... so while I would accept any changes Hinterland makes (because it's their world and all); I'm not generally enthusiastic about suggesting anything that would make life dramatically easier for our survivors (with one notable exception that I've posted about before - but that's not relevant to the discussion of the accessory items/slots).  That's just my preference... naturally if there was something added to the game that I didn't like, I just wouldn't use it.  :)

:coffee::fire:

Edited by ManicManiac

On 9/19/2019 at 5:18 AM, Timmytwothumbs said:

Lucky rabbits foot- can be crafted and makes you luckier at starting fires, catching fish, etc. Only while wearing it.

That sounds fun - as an extreme rare find on rabbits + a really long cure time, perhaps only if killed by stone or crafted with an extreme low success rate + another rare ingredient.

But I don't see it coming and I can understand that...

6 hours ago, stratvox said:

Ski goggles and snow masks made out of birchbark, which protect against a new affliction "Snow Blindness".

I would like to see that, but I guess adding a new affliction is quite an effort. Although snow blindness is really an issue in such an environment.

• Upvote 1

I do like some of these as craftables, because the harvesting of materials and time invested would make them feel more balanced. I also like the idea of trade-offs and new afflictions; snow blindness would be interesting to deal with. A trade-off for the snow cleats could be that while you run significantly less risk of sprains, you can't sprint while wearing them. A harness could require regular upkeep with scrap metal for the carabiners or risk failure mid-climb (causing an instant fall).  A holster could be a very, very rare item, perhaps with a dedicated singular possible spawn point in game. (Somewhere near the Hunting Lodge, or out in Hushed River Valley?) And I like the idea of a lucky rabbit's foot being an extremely rare harvestable from one rabbit in a thousand. 

I feel like while these do have the potential to be OP, making them either extremely rare or extremely difficult to acquire would make them feel rewarding.

14 hours ago, Eylhardt said:

as an extreme rare find on rabbits

...but each rabbit has four feet... :D 

:coffee::fire:

You'll have to forgive me, this was the first thought I had when I read this comment... I know what you were driving at though, that one bit just struck me as funny.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

On 9/20/2019 at 11:04 PM, ManicManiac said:

...but each rabbit has four feet... :D 

But are they all lucky ones? 😉

Reminds me of those awful WoW quests like "Get me 20 boar ears." You go out, spot a boar and you can see it HAS ears. Two of them! But after the kill there is nothing to loot. Bummer...

Guest jeffpeng

Overall good suggestions at first glance, but I'll work through them one at a time - and offer why I think some are not 😉

Headlamp- a wearable flashlight on the head.  available in coal mines maybe?

That would free up our hands .... to do what exactly with them? The two instances where you need a light AND something to shoot with in the game are supposed to be tricky to handle (woof.) I say Nay.

Ski goggles- provides a windproofing bonus.

Actually I like that. You would have to get rid of either the ear wraps or the satchel, probably both things you'd wanna have when you also want these. Yay on this one. But I like @stratvoxtake on this even better.

Climbing harness- allows for stamina regeneration at any point during climb

This would marginalize the intended hardship of having to face a climb. As all other concerns are negligible when climbing there would be no real choice involved. Nay. Maaaaybe yay if it would weigh in as 5 kilos or something ridiculously heavy.

Holster- removes gun from bag and allows for extra carry capacity only for the gun. Maybe two different kinds one for a revolver and one for a rifle. Maybe this could be crafted.

I like this from an RPG perspective, but are 1.5 kilograms really worth 1+1°C? With 4kg that's a different consideration. Let's say the holster is like 100 grams, but the one for the rifle weighs in at 2 kilograms .... yeah I can see that working without upsetting the balance. Very conditional yay.

Arrow quiver- holds 20 arrows and allows for extra carry capacity but only for arrows. Can be crafted as well

Same as above. If it weighs in at a kilogram this should strike an acceptable balance. Conditional yay again.

Nay. It's not only gross, it also introduces superstition into the game and is potentially overpowered. Just nay.

Reading glasses- allows you to read 25% faster only while wearing. 

To balance this you'd have to make reading slower in the first place. Now how's that going to help anyone? Plus since you usually don't read while requiring extra warmth or extra carry capacity there is no choice involved. Nay.

Snow Cleats/Spikes- removes any risk of sprain.

If this said "lowers the risk of sprains by 10%" or something like it I'd be willing to say yay. But outright removing it? Too good, much too good. So while I sorta like the idea, I gotta go nay on the execution.