New fire starting method?

LoneWolf5841

I have no clue if this has been suggested before but I personally would like to see a new craftable fire starter, if I remember correctly we only have 4 ways to light a fire those being matches, magnifying glass, lit flare, and the fire striker why don't we have a primitive method of fire starting for example why can't we craft a fire drill to start a fire or by finding 2 rocks and smashing them together to create a spark? Would be nice to see this addition. 

• Upvote 2

Balance reasons mostly. Resources are supposed to be limited. Decisions are supposed to be meaningful. There is the mag lens for infinite fire, but it requires a clear day. So there is planning and decision making involved about using it. It might clear up on a day you already had plans for, so you need to change things and cook instead.

There are no real decisions or trade offs about using a fire drill.

• Upvote 1

Time... in TLD, you're more likely freeze to death smashing rocks together or manipulating a fire drill than you are to start a fire.  I admit the mag lens is also a stretch in this regard (one would probably freeze before getting a fire; but as was said, it was put in the game to give an infinite ability to light fires with the trade off being the requirement for a clear day).

You also forgot a lit torch in your list of starting methods.  This is the primitive means of carrying a lit fire from one location to another.  Of course, the blizzard winds raise havoc with this method, but it is a very viable one on a calm day.

Edited by UpUpAway95

7 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Time... in TLD, you're more likely freeze to death smashing rocks together or manipulating a fire drill than you are to start a fire.  I admit the mag lens is also a stretch in this regard (one would probably freeze before getting a fire; but as was said, it was put in the game to give an infinite ability to light fires with the tradeoff being the requirement for a clear day).

You also forgot a lit torch in your list of starting methods.  This is the primitive means of carrying a lit fire from one location to another.  Of course, the blizzard winds raise havoc with this method, but it is a very viable one on a calm day.

Well the tradeoff could be it has a low chance of starting a fire unlike matches and at least in real life you could get a fire with a fire drill in 10 to 15 minutes if you know what you're doing so time really isn't a problem, see I wanted to try a go at static survival where I stay in one place for as long as possible but currently that isn't possible as I will have to venture out to find one of the four fire starting methods I mentioned earlier, with a fire drill all I need is to find 2 sticks so static survival is possible then. 

Also I left the lit torch out on purpose as you need a fire in the first place to get that item so to start the fire you are back to the 4 items I mentioned earlier. 

16 hours ago, LoneWolf5841 said:

why don't we have a primitive method of fire starting for example why can't we craft a fire drill to start a fire or by finding 2 rocks and smashing them together to create a spark? Would be nice to see this addition.

Well, just banging rocks together doesn't produce a spark.  You need flint and steel...  though before the advent of steel, a variety of iron pyrite or marcasite was used with flint (or others of the like) to produce a high-temperature spark that could be used to create fire.  Besides this is basically what the fire striker represents (though that is modeled after a magnesium striker).

I and many others have also been in support of a hand drill:

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 8:23 PM, ManicManiac said:

- Shouldn't we be able to use a stick and a piece of cedar as a hand drill for making a friction fire? ...It seems like there should be some kind of "long haul" way to make fire other than a magnifying glass.

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 3:25 AM, ManicManiac said:

One thing that I (and others) have suggested in our wish list threads in the past has been friction fire.  Many people get caught up on the "bow-drill," probably because it's more familiar... but I think the "hand-drill" would be better since it's simple (and the crafting recipe could conceivably be just a stick and a piece of cedar - because these are already in the game).   ***for the sake of balance... I have also recommended that this ability would be unlocked once the player's fire starting skill rose to a more advanced level... like Level 5  - this way we have the magnifying glass and friction fire to rely on if we live long enough to run out of matches.  :D ***

handdrilllrg.jpg.77adc4f754bbd1e2c8d56be658e0ca03.jpg

Also since I only mentioned in passing and not explicitly beforehand... we do currently have the magnifying glass we can use as a fire starter during clear sunny conditions.

Edited by ManicManiac

9 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

Well, just banging rocks together doesn't produce a spark.  You need flint and steel...  though before the advent of steel, a variety of iron pyrite or marcasite was used with flint (or others of the like) to produce a high-temperature spark that could be used to create fire.  Besides this is basically what the fire striker represents (though that is modeled after a magnesium striker).

I and many others have also been in support of a hand drill:

Yeah the hand drill is what I was specifically referring too not the bow drill, and with the rocks idea irl, if you didn't know much about rocks, you would just pick up 2 random rock and hit them together in hopes of a spark, when I was a kid I did this in my own backyard, I found 2 rocks that when hit together caused a spark and I started a fire with it. I knew nothing about rocks I was just fascinated with survival based things and watched a lot of survivorman and I went outside and played around with various fire starting methods lol